[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Best MU shot ever?

Hauser at Creighton
13 (6.2%)
Vander against Davidson in NCAA
58 (27.8%)
Novak for 3 against ND
26 (12.4%)
Butch to Whitehead in NCAA Semi
89 (42.6%)
Doc from half court against ND
19 (9.1%)
Other?
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: January 11, 2019, 01:39:51 PM

Author Topic: Greatest MU Shot of All Time - Poll  (Read 7220 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Greatest MU Shot of All Time - Poll
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 04:54:43 PM »
No question here.  It’s that shot I witnessed in person at the Omni in Atlanta in 1977 that led to a NC.

I was there with you brother, and agree completely.

All the shots listed were significant for various reasons, but Whitehead's shot stands alone. Without it, MU is still among the multitude of schools that have never won a NC....

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »
It's certainly not the "greatest," but I liked Dameon Mason's And-1 against Louisville at home in '04, and that time Davante sank one from the other free throw line, (3ish years ago)?

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 05:10:38 PM »
Heer's won four y'all AKs, Maurice Lucas' jumpa ta beet Bucky and keep the home streak goin', hey?

Have to go along with this one. Led to the famous picture of AL standing on the scorers table with his arms raised and a Bucky dad in the background giving him the finger!

Schultzy66

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
Anyone have a video of the doc shot?  I can't find it anywhere.

Schultzy66

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
I’d add Damian Masons buzzer beater vs Louisville to the list
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »
Best moment ever on campus was Butch to Jerome to the NatChamp. Nothing comes close to that weekend/Monday night.

Best shot ever

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »
No bucket by Jerome Whitehead and there is no National Championship.  That simple.
This was also my immediate thought.
Just like last night, I was afraid the refs would disallow it.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 05:59:08 PM »
The best MU shot of all time was Davante Gardner's 3/4 court heave at the buzzer. Didnt count, but still the best shot I've ever seen.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »
This was also my immediate thought.
Just like last night, I was afraid the refs would disallow it.

There was much talk at the time about it being possible goal tending on a possible second tap.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 06:36:36 PM »
I was there with you brother, and agree completely.

All the shots listed were significant for various reasons, but Whitehead's shot stands alone. Without it, MU is still among the multitude of schools that have never won a NC....
Yep, it’s just so monumental in MU BB history.  Otherwise, the program is just a footnote in national terms.  Obviously there are so many other things that led up to and after that shot.  But, without it..........................

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
Beating Bucky in 1974

To drive Bucky fans to this level of hatred will NEVER get old.

https://marquettewire.org/3982899/sports/one-finger-salute-vulgar-image-captures-peak-of-marquette-wisconsin-rivalry/

Maurice Lucas, a 6-foot-9 power forward with NBA-ready basketball skills but hardly any perimeter shooting skills, grabbed the rebound and began dribbling the ball with only seconds on the clock. He briefly fumbled it, regained control, and let it fly. The ball soared about 20 feet across the court.
Swish.

“The place, it was the loudest indoor noise I have ever heard,” said Mike Gonring, Marquette basketball’s sports information director at the time. “It was incredible roar with this blizzard going on outside. I know friends of mine that conceived that night and named their child Luke. It was unbelievable.”

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 07:26:17 PM »
Beating Bucky in 1974

To drive Bucky fans to this level of hatred will NEVER get old.

https://marquettewire.org/3982899/sports/one-finger-salute-vulgar-image-captures-peak-of-marquette-wisconsin-rivalry/

Maurice Lucas, a 6-foot-9 power forward with NBA-ready basketball skills but hardly any perimeter shooting skills, grabbed the rebound and began dribbling the ball with only seconds on the clock. He briefly fumbled it, regained control, and let it fly. The ball soared about 20 feet across the court.
Swish.

“The place, it was the loudest indoor noise I have ever heard,” said Mike Gonring, Marquette basketball’s sports information director at the time. “It was incredible roar with this blizzard going on outside. I know friends of mine that conceived that night and named their child Luke. It was unbelievable.”

Yeah, I was there too.  1977 is just somore important.  Though, Luke’s shot and Al’s table dance were extremely nice as well.

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
No question here.  It’s that shot I witnessed in person at the Omni in Atlanta in 1977 that led to a NC.
There too
Phenomenal!!!

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »
Not as significant but still a game winner:

https://youtu.be/TeiMnw05mDA

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
It's certainly not the "greatest," but I liked Dameon Mason's And-1 against Louisville at home in '04, and that time Davante sank one from the other free throw line, (3ish years ago)?
I remember being 3 rows behind Pitino’s bench for that shot.

Another shot that I’ll always remember was the first big east game ever against UConn. Wasn’t confident going in. Buddy and i kept saying to win each 4 minutes.  Marquette starts building a lead, get more confidence. Novak is on fire. He’s at the top of the key. Ball gets poked away, he goes out to get it at half court. Takes a dribble or two, and hits what felt like a 35 footer. Always remembered that crap as it felt like the final dagger.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »
I have a ton of Al memories, but Al on the table after Luke’s shot is extremely high in my life memories. Blizzard outside and the place was still jumping. Plus, two of my childhood idols are in the picture directly in front of Mr. Hughes. Funny thing is, 45 years later and that couple still looks the same in mind today.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2019, 07:57:24 PM »
Can someone actually describe Luke's shot?  I remember the aftermath well but don't have a clear recollection of the shot itself.  Is their any video or even a still image?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »
Heer ya goe, hey?

MILWAUKEE, Feb. 5 (AP)—Maurice Lucas sank a 20‐foot jump shot at the buzzer tonight to give sixth‐ranked Marquette a 59‐58 basketball victory over Wisconsin.

The Warriors trailed by 9 points with 6½ minutes to play before storming back.

Lucas connected after Wisconsin blew a chance to increase its 58‐57 lead when Kim Hughes missed a pair of free throws with 17 seconds left.

Marquette grabbed the rebound and worked the ball into the front court. Lucas, bothered by a sore shoulder, dropped a pass from Dave Delsman but recovered the ball, turned around and fired from the left of the key. The shot went through as the buzzer sounded.

The Badgers, whose starting line‐up averages 6 feet 8 inches, controlled the boards most of the way and rattled the Warriors with a zone press.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
Funny, I have memory of Hughes missing the free throws (having been reminded).  And I've always remembered Al jumping on the table.  I'm confident that my personal experience was all through the radio because I certainly wasn't at the game.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »
I forgot that my neighbor Mr. Joe Brady is in the middle of the picture. He ran the clock for many, many years and great MU memories with the Brady family. FYI— he is the man in stripes sitting at scorer’s table.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2019, 08:20:36 PM »
I have a ton of Al memories, but Al on the table after Luke’s shot is extremely high in my life memories. Blizzard outside and the place was still jumping. Plus, two of my childhood idols are in the picture directly in front of Mr. Hughes. Funny thing is, 45 years later and that couple still looks the same in mind today.

Were you at a student at the game?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
mug
I am a tad too young to have been student this season. Was a very interested fan of the program and a fifth grader at St. Jude.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »
In terms of memories, Wardle at Freedom Hall to beat Louisville is up there. I remember thinking they were toast not long before that

Amen.  Watched that game at Major Goolsbys.  No sound and the TV was so off center so we couldn't see the score bug / clock.  We were running to our cars to hear Homer call the time remaining throughout the 2nd half. 

Wardle's shot...Homer's best call in my opinion.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2019, 08:32:14 PM »
Lens
I was watching at Goolsby’s that night as well. Small world.