[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Markus story on Deadspin  (Read 4740 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Markus story on Deadspin
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:57:19 PM »
https://deadspin.com/marquettes-markus-howard-will-shoot-over-anyone-from-a-1831557358

Howard’s taken on the increased responsibilities of this season and turned Marquette into a legit contender for what should be a wide-open Big East title race. For an opposing team, the prospect of facing down this tiny, cocky, impeccably accurate leader and not having the answers to his inevitable barrage of shots must be terrifying.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:00:27 PM by Pakuni »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Markus story on Deadspin
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »
Always nice to hear one of your players described as "terrifying" to opponents.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
Cocky?  Very rarely.  Must have him confused with Andrew.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:44:19 PM »
Deadspin stinks.

If you want real college basketball analysis from a free blog, follow Bobby Reagan with Barstool. The guy lives and breathes college basketball and lives in Cincinnati so he does a fair amount of Big East coverage with Xavier being in his backyard.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »
Always nice to hear one of your players described as "terrifying" to opponents.

While Markus is terrifying defenders, props have to be given to the spacing and screening our players/coaches create to help free him up. Note in the GIF of the article how the dagger 3 vs Marshall was made possible by Sacar (seeing MArkus cut to receive Joey’s pass) hopping briefly to his left to create space and take the path away from Marshall’s route to contest the shot. Gave MH the split second he needed to get off the dagger. Tiny but huge stuff that doesn’t show up in the stats.

Of course, Markus is pretty talented at getting his shot off unassisted, with step-back and spin moves, but it helps to have an offense that is more aware of his whereabouts at all times than the defense itself.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:09:42 PM »
Deadspin stinks.

If you want real college basketball analysis from a free blog, follow Bobby Reagan with Barstool. The guy lives and breathes college basketball and lives in Cincinnati so he does a fair amount of Big East coverage with Xavier being in his backyard.

No one reads Deadspin for analysis.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »
Cocky?  Very rarely.  Must have him confused with Andrew.

Yep.  Big difference between "cocky" and straight up "confident".
Have some patience, FFS.

panda

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:23:08 PM »
No one reads Deadspin for analysis.

You should've stopped your statement at Deadspin...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 08:30:57 PM »

You should've stopped your statement at Deadspin...

Bingo

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 09:24:44 PM »
Deadspin stinks.

Good plug

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
Yep.  Big difference between "cocky" and straight up "confident".

You can't appreciate national media attention? Hmm, weird, but telling.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 09:44:41 PM »
You can't appreciate national media attention? Hmm, weird, but telling.

Chick was spot on. Markus isn't cocky. Rowsey was cocky. Markus, being one of the best guards in the country and a strong contender for BEPOY, is just confident in himself and his game. National attention is great, but calling Markus cocky is a bit of a reach for such a great kid.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 11:12:26 PM »
When Markus gave F%cky the throat slash last year, was that being cocky?

It's OK that he's cocky, as long as he backs it up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:36 PM »
Are we all forgetting that Deadspin was the first (semi) legitimate source to report the Bo Ryan affair?  That alone should merit their existence until the end of time.  The only way they could top it is if they published "ND Sucks: the 4ever story".

As for Markus; the throat slash at UW, the "you wanna go home, let's go home" at the free throw line against (I believe) Creighton, the waving goodbye to Dean Wade after he fouled him out.  I think cocky might be the wrong word, but he definitely plays with a chip on his shoulder (which is a good thing).

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 11:28:07 PM »
I didn't care about the cocky remark, but the one that stood out to me was the D'Mitrik Trice comment - implying that him and Haarms are far superior to anyone on the MU roster not named Markus.  Weird? 

So, Trice hits a bunch of 3s against a few cupcakes, has been largely invisible since, yet he is miles ahead of Sam and Joey?  I don't think so!   

fjm

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 11:29:50 PM »
I didn't care about the cocky remark, but the one that stood out to me was the D'Mitrik Trice comment - implying that him and Haarms are far superior to anyone on the MU roster not named Markus.  Weird? 

So, Trice hits a bunch of 3s against a few cupcakes, has been largely invisible since, yet he is miles ahead of Sam and Joey?  I don't think so!   

Wait. Is that in the article? I wasn’t gonna read it. But if there are stupid comments from badgers, then I should check it out.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 11:30:48 PM »
When Markus gave F%cky the throat slash last year, was that being cocky?

It's OK that he's cocky, as long as he backs it up.

Or when he said "you guys wanna go home? Alright. Let's go home" before the dagger free throw vs Creighton last year?

Markus is cocky on the court at times. It's fun. He definitely doesn't seem like an arrogant kid.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 12:14:09 AM »
Are we all forgetting that Deadspin was the first (semi) legitimate source to report the Bo Ryan affair?  That alone should merit their existence until the end of time.  The only way they could top it is if they published "ND Sucks: the 4ever story".

As for Markus; the throat slash at UW, the "you wanna go home, let's go home" at the free throw line against (I believe) Creighton, the waving goodbye to Dean Wade after he fouled him out.  I think cocky might be the wrong word, but he definitely plays with a chip on his shoulder (which is a good thing).

The first definition of "cocky" on Webster's online dictionary is "boldly or brashly self-confident"

I'd say all the things we've discussed here were Markus being boldly or brashly self-confident -- especially the FT "guarantee."

That's OK. Most great athletes were/are cocky.

I like 'em when they're on my team and they back it up. I hate 'em when they're on the other team. Which Webster's defines as being a "fan."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »

Here's what it says: "Dominant Big Ten players Carsen Edwards and Ethan Happ come close, but even they have a more active second option in Matt Haarms and D’Mitrik Trice, respectively."  

A "more active second option" refers to teammates who take more shots.  It is not a reflection on their talent.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
Here's what it says: "Dominant Big Ten players Carsen Edwards and Ethan Happ come close, but even they have a more active second option in Matt Haarms and D’Mitrik Trice, respectively."  

A "more active second option" refers to teammates who take more shots.  It is not a reflection on their talent.

Trice averages only 0.8 more FGA and 0.1 FTA than Sam does. Hardly significant.

Purdue's 2nd option based on FGA is actually Ryan Cline.  Cline attempts 0.5 more FGA but 1.5 fewer FTA compared to Sam.

Very bizarre statement from Deadspin.

ilikevanderblue69

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
Meep

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
Which poster jumped on the comments to immediately complain about Howard being inefficient and playing like Kobe?  ::)

Also, love the STJ fan jumping in to say Ponds is better and that he "shut down" Howard last week...except that Simon guarded him

panda

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 02:39:03 PM »

Purdue's 2nd option based on FGA is actually Ryan Cline.  Cline attempts 0.5 more FGA but 1.5 fewer FTA compared to Sam.

Seems to be par for the course for a once great website that turned into a pathetic excuse for a blog.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
Trice is a good player but would have a tough time fighting for playing time on Marquette's roster.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 03:18:43 PM »

They were explaining why Markus had the biggest differential in usage between him and the second highest usage player.  They weren't commenting on the quality of the second option.  At least that's how I read it and pretty sure that was what the author meant.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.