[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Creighton  (Read 10173 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Creighton
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 06:44:22 PM »
I also think there is one big X factor that is not being discussed. Marquette has been blown out on the road. I felt that both games the team did not seem dialed in. Wojo let them have it after the St. Johns game. I would assume that Marquette will be ready to play on Wednesday and wil want to prove they can win on the road.

Don't know if we were "dialed in" or not for the the St. John's game but we had the lead with 6:35 to go in the first half and it was still a 4-point game 5 minutes later until Ponds hit 2 shots from Manhattan.

But maybe we really "dialed out" in the second half. Wojo sure wasn't pleased, whatever it was.

We're gonna kick some bird feathers Wednesday.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 08:14:21 PM »
What? There isn't a standout BEast team this year? But wait...I thought all the soothsayers said we were the standout team. Hmmmm....or was it DePaul?

Have a Mazzos burger Willie. And a shake.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 10:47:26 AM »
Interesting stat I noticed on Creighton.

3P% 44.8% (4th in the nation)
FT% 64.0% (316th in the nation)

Freshman year Jamal would have felt right at home on Creighton's roster.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 11:27:01 AM »

Yep. Elite offense that is a poor FT shooting team.

#FTsNoMatta
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 12:44:48 PM »
Was stressing out about how to watch the game tomorrow, since I'm traveling for work and CBS sports is a little dicier on streaming options.  Then it occurred to me that I am traveling to OMAHA.  And staying at a hotel that is 5 minutes from the CHI Health Center.  Now I just have to weasel my way out of a 7 PM dinner and I can go see the boys in person.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »
Was stressing out about how to watch the game tomorrow, since I'm traveling for work and CBS sports is a little dicier on streaming options.  Then it occurred to me that I am traveling to OMAHA.  And staying at a hotel that is 5 minutes from the CHI Health Center.  Now I just have to weasel my way out of a 7 PM dinner and I can go see the boys in person.
You probably picked up the flu on the flight.  Wouldn't be fair to go to dinner and subject your colleagues/clients to that.

Solved.

Now, make sure you stay off the jumbotron.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »

Maybe they should step back a few feet before shooting their FTs.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »
Maybe they should step back a few feet before shooting their FTs.

I have legit wondered why some players don't try that.

Like Ethan Happ. If he really wanted his team to win, he'd take a few crossover dribbles and try a top-of-the-key pull up jumper, instead of standing there flat footed and making 3 of 10.

I guess some players are less concerned about winning and more concerned about not looking like an ass.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 01:40:50 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion on beckyville about why doesn't Happ attempt underhanded FTs?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 01:42:53 PM »

Like Ethan Happ. If he really wanted his team to win, he'd take a few crossover dribbles and try a top-of-the-key pull up jumper, instead of standing there flat footed and making 3 of 10.

I guess some players are less concerned about winning and more concerned about not looking like an ass.

A long while back I think there was a NBA player that used his Jump shot for FT.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 01:48:26 PM »
A long while back I think there was a NBA player that used his Jump shot for FT.
IIRC, Dave Meyers of the Bucks tried it for a while.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 01:50:29 PM »

Ryan Evans from the Badgers was one that resorted to shooting a jump shot for free throws.

But how good was that jump shot that he rode all the way to 8% shooting from three?

Ended his senior season shooting 42% from the line.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 01:57:59 PM »
IIRC, Dave Meyers of the Bucks tried it for a while.

My memory foggy but I'm guessing Walt Greer(PG) I think.  He played with Wilt the stilt.  Now I'll have to Google.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 02:08:34 PM »
My memory foggy but I'm guessing Walt Greer(PG) I think.  He played with Wilt the stilt.  Now I'll have to Google.

Hal Greer, Hall of Famer.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 02:10:36 PM »
I like the matchup. MU struggles on the road against long/athletic competition, not soft short shooting teams. The 3 ball is the great equalizer of course, so if Creighton is hitting and we aren't it's game over. But we have the length, strength, depth, and defensive advantage. I think we'll take it hard to them early, weather a shooting storm, and pull it out down the stretch for the first big road win of the season.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
One stat I saw this morning that's interesting....Creighton is 0-5 against Quadrant 1 teams. MU is a Quadrant 1 team. Discuss
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 02:19:44 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion on beckyville about why doesn't Happ attempt underhanded FTs?

Don't knock the underhanded FT. When Rick Barry retired he held the all time record for career FT%. Still in the top 5 all time.
TAMU

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 02:34:10 PM »
One stat I saw this morning that's interesting....Creighton is 0-5 against Quadrant 1 teams. MU is a Quadrant 1 team. Discuss

Bottom line here, they are very good at home, almost beat Gonzaga  as they were crazy good on shooting the 3.  If they do that again, MU will go down just
like they did against St. Johns.  Epperson is out for the year so they are not real big, again MU can go inside  but can they score the ball is another question.  They
have some quickness which MU does not have from the Hausers and Theo.  So it will be interesting.  They do not play D like X or St. Johns.  Beatable, but if you let
them shoot the 3, it might be a long night.  Morrow and Sam have to show up.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
Don't knock the underhanded FT. When Rick Barry retired he held the all time record for career FT%. Still in the top 5 all time.

My son (7th grade B team) saw the Rick Barry piece on that ESPN Basketball mini-series and wanted to start shooting 'em granny style.

I told him absolutely. As soon as he could make 50% in practice regularly.
Not there yet, but to his credit, he still stays after practice to work on it.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »
My son (7th grade B team) saw the Rick Barry piece on that ESPN Basketball mini-series and wanted to start shooting 'em granny style.

I told him absolutely. As soon as he could make 50% in practice regularly.
Not there yet, but to his credit, he still stays after practice to work on it.

From a physics perspective the granny FT is far superior to the overhand shot. Just a question of practice and temperament.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 04:15:23 PM »
It's hard to tell (watching on TV) but it sure looks like a lot of players have the tip of the shoe on the line. Lane violations are so rarely called.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2019, 01:44:52 PM »
I have another fun stat for Creighton. Because fun stats are fun.

In their seven games against high major opponents, Creighton has allowed 9 different players to score season highs on them. In fact, the only game against a high major where they didn't allow an opponent to score a season high was their game against Providence. Every other team had at least player score a season high.

Butler: Kamar Baldwin 28 points (averages 16.5)
Oklahoma: Brady Mankek 18 points (averages 11.5) & Rashard Odomes 13 points (averages 5.4)
Nebraska: Thomas Allen 18 points (averages 8.7) & James Palmer Jr 30 points (averages 20.1)
Gonzaga: Brandon Clarke 27 points (averages 17.0) & Zach Norvell 28 points (averages 16.2)
Clemson: Marcquise Reed 27 points (averages 19.6)
Ohio State: Keyshawn Woods 19 points (averages 7.9)

For comparison's sake, in 8 games against high majors (and Buffalo), Marquette has allowed 5 different players to have season highs
Indiana: Rob Phinisee 12 points (averages 7.2) & Evan Fitzner 16 points (averages 4.5)
Kansas: Marcus Garrett 11 points (averages 5.8)
Wisconsin: Ethan Happ 34 points (averages 19.3)
Buffalo: Dontay Caruthers 20 points (averages 7.8)

So other than Ethan Happ, Marquette has allowed a couple of role players to have their biggest scoring games, whereas Creighton often lets superstars go off for season highs.

Let's hope the trend continues tonight....and that Markus is the one to do it. Beating a season high of 45 would be hard to overcome.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 01:49:03 PM »
I have another fun stat for Creighton. Because fun stats are fun.

In their seven games against high major opponents, Creighton has allowed 9 different players to score season highs on them. In fact, the only game against a high major where they didn't allow an opponent to score a season high was their game against Providence. Every other team had at least player score a season high.

Butler: Kamar Baldwin 28 points (averages 16.5)
Oklahoma: Brady Mankek 18 points (averages 11.5) & Rashard Odomes 13 points (averages 5.4)
Nebraska: Thomas Allen 18 points (averages 8.7) & James Palmer Jr 30 points (averages 20.1)
Gonzaga: Brandon Clarke 27 points (averages 17.0) & Zach Norvell 28 points (averages 16.2)
Clemson: Marcquise Reed 27 points (averages 19.6)
Ohio State: Keyshawn Woods 19 points (averages 7.9)

For comparison's sake, in 8 games against high majors (and Buffalo), Marquette has allowed 5 different players to have season highs
Indiana: Rob Phinisee 12 points (averages 7.2) & Evan Fitzner 16 points (averages 4.5)
Kansas: Marcus Garrett 11 points (averages 5.8)
Wisconsin: Ethan Happ 34 points (averages 19.3)
Buffalo: Dontay Caruthers 20 points (averages 7.8)

So other than Ethan Happ, Marquette has allowed a couple of role players to have their biggest scoring games, whereas Creighton often lets superstars go off for season highs.

Let's hope the trend continues tonight....and that Markus is the one to do it. Beating a season high of 45 would be hard to overcome.

Next level research project: how many career highs have they allowed? Markus could be in line for 55+!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 01:54:09 PM »
Mid-single digits from Cam would be a good sign.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 01:54:30 PM »

It is EXACTLY this and nothing more.

https://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/30/malcolm-gladwell-wilt-chamberlain-rick-barry-nba-free-throw-granny-shot

feedback