Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Not a whole lot of good tonight  (Read 6473 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Not a whole lot of good tonight
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »
Bad night in pretty much every aspect. If this team wants to do anything this year they need to learn to win on the road.  Two badly failed teats so far.
To Brewcity and TAMU who have for 3 months harped on how bad St. Johns is, how is that crow tasting?  You whiffed on ur evaluations.  StJohns is good
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Not a whole lot of good tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »
St John’s is good but they over performed tonight. Couple that with Marquette underperforming you have a blowout.

I think St John’s will finish third or fourth in the Big East.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 08:30:04 PM by TallTitan34 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:32:07 PM »
This is the best SJU has played by far. They shot out of their minds and were handed every possible advantage for 35 minutes. They're no better today than they were yesterday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »
This was a game that most if not all picked us too lose. We got very little from our best offensive player. Call me an eternal optimistic, but I'm not all that concerned with the return trip.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 08:32:26 PM »
Just because we lose to a team doesn't make them good. We lost to UWGB the year we won the BE that didn't mean they were good
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »
Bad night in pretty much every aspect. If this team wants to do anything this year they need to learn to win on the road.  Two badly failed teats so far.
To Brewcity and TAMU who have for 3 months harped on how bad St. Johns is, how is that crow tasting?  You whiffed on ur evaluations.  StJohns is good

Can you quote when I said St. John's isn't that good? I picked them for 3rd in the Big East and said this was one of 3 or 4 toughest games of the conference schedule.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 08:36:30 PM »
From brewcity

- “St. John's doesn't look remotely as good as their record. They struggled with Cal, Bowling Green, and Georgia Tech. VCU has not been good and SJU needed a comeback & overtime.

What I said is they keep winning & their rating keeps dropping. What that means is that while they are getting wins, they are doing so in a fashion that indicates they're not as good as the results they've posted. All the other undefeated teams have either seen their rankings hold firm or improve significantly as new data comes in. St. John's, on the other hand, has dropped sharply while playing one of the worst schedules in the country (#344 per Pomeroy).

Yes, they could prove to be as good as their record, but that's not what the data to date indicates. And having watched them a few times against some pretty bad teams, I have not been impressed. They have some talent, but are poorly coached and undersized.”

Now sure they could swan dive as Brew predicts. But beating a strong MU team by 20 may also indicate that they have a really solid veteran team with some big time players. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
We’ll destroy this team at Fiserv
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »
Some days you are the dog, some days you are the hydrant.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 08:39:25 PM »
From brewcity

- St. John's doesn't look remotely as good as their record. They struggled with Cal, Bowling Green, and Georgia Tech. VCU has not been good and SJU needed a comeback & overtime.

What I said is they keep winning & their rating keeps dropping. What that means is that while they are getting wins, they are doing so in a fashion that indicates they're not as good as the results they've posted. All the other undefeated teams have either seen their rankings hold firm or improve significantly as new data comes in. St. John's, on the other hand, has dropped sharply while playing one of the worst schedules in the country (#344 per Pomeroy).

Yes, they could prove to be as good as their record, but that's not what the data to date indicates. And having watched them a few times against some pretty bad teams, I have not been impressed. They have some talent, but are poorly coached and undersized.

I don't see how any of this has been disputed. Did tonight's result change how they played against Bowling Green, Cal, Georgia Tech, & VCU? Did tonight's result change their ranking trend during their 12-game winning streak? Did tonight's result change their SOS during their first 12 games?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 08:39:55 PM »
You're not very good at this whole "gotcha" thing  ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
You're not very good at this whole "gotcha" thing  ;D

At least this time he kept the grammatical and spelling mistakes into the single digits. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »

At least this time he kept the grammatical and spelling mistakes into the single digits.

Damn, that's just off the top rope.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 08:47:25 PM »
“And having watched them a few times against some pretty bad teams, I have not been impressed. They have some talent, but are poorly coached and undersized.”

They are 13-1 and just beat the 16th ranked team in the country by 20.

Pretty piss poor assesment, maybe at some point u will become impressed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 08:50:46 PM »

He hasn’t said douchebag yet either....well at least the posts you guys are quoting.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 09:00:38 PM »
“And having watched them a few times against some pretty bad teams, I have not been impressed. They have some talent, but are poorly coached and undersized.”

They are 13-1 and just beat the 16th ranked team in the country by 20.

Maybe I will. I watched them against VCU, Georgia Tech, MSM, & Seton Hall before tonight. They weren't impressive. Tonight was by far, by miles, the best they've played, though getting every possible advantage from the striped contingent made that easier.

I expected them to be better when they added Heron. So far they've played one impressive game. But my preseason predictions remain perfect.

Also, who wouldn't be 13-1 (or better) with that schedule?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 05:52:57 AM »
The new excuse du jour is now, "they were a bad matchup for us"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 06:00:14 AM »
Congratulations.  Something new for you to whine about.    Some teams are bad match ups.   Marquette was a bad match up for Wisconsin, Kansas State, Buffalo.  St. Johns on the road was a bad match up.  They kicked MU's butt.   Next.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 07:12:45 AM »
\

And maybe at some point the same will be said about you and our team. One game does not make a season.

You point out where others are incorrect, yet the majority around the country were not been impressed by the Johnnies until last night. You act is if you told him so, but ya didn't. Your opinion isn't known until after the fact, and then you act as if I told you! Its a long season, R-E-L-A-X.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 08:23:17 AM »
This was a game that most if not all picked us too lose. We got very little from our best offensive player. Call me an eternal optimistic, but I'm not all that concerned with the return trip.

The last few years with Saint John's, they've handled us with ease in NY and we've handled them with ease in Milwaukee.  Hopefully the trend will continue this year.  If I had to guess the result before the game, I'd have guessed a loss, but I thought we'd have been more competitive.  We need a road win to boost our confidence.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 08:29:06 AM »
The last few years with Saint John's, they've handled us with ease in NY and we've handled them with ease in Milwaukee.  Hopefully the trend will continue this year.  If I had to guess the result before the game, I'd have guessed a loss, but I thought we'd have been more competitive.  We need a road win to boost our confidence.

Yep, as mentioned here
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=57360.0
we've struggled in NY recently.  The good news is, that our next road game is in Omaha, and despite CU having a decent team this year, the last time we lost there Sandy led us with 6 boards, and Derrick led us with 5 assists.  No place to rebound like your home away from home.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »
This game reminded me of the Indiana game. Both Indiana and St. John's seemed to be quicker at every position.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »
Knot enough athleticism and those athletes we have are stuck in molasses slow. And, Markus does need 6 more inches, hey?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:23:26 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
\

And maybe at some point the same will be said about you and our team. One game does not make a season.

You point out where others are incorrect, yet the majority around the country were not been impressed by the Johnnies until last night. You act is if you told him so, but ya didn't. Your opinion isn't known until after the fact, and then you act as if I told you! Its a long season, R-E-L-A-X.

Argued the assesment earlier, thats why i brought it back up.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »

Also, who wouldn't be 13-1 (or better) with that schedule?

Well they should be 14-0 as the refs absolutely stole the game at Seton Hall from them. Can't be much better than that. And I assume there are at least a few teams out there who might lose legitimately to Seton Hall on the road or MU at home.

feedback