[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference Results/ NCAA/NIT/CBI  (Read 211405 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Big East Conference/Tournament Results
« Reply #1225 on: March 15, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »
Yeah, I think St John's is completely done. I would be shocked to see them get an at large.

They will be in.

Might be Dayton. But they will be in.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1226 on: March 15, 2019, 11:07:07 AM »

The problem is many of the bubble teams are losing.  Someone has to take these spots, and most of the mid-majors like Furman and UNC-Greensboro are hardly listed at all on Bracket Matrix.

I think 95% of Bracket Matrix is operating like the 2014-18 Selection Committee is still in place. If they're right, those teams won't be in. If the Selection Committee that is actually in place operates like the mirrored makeup SC from 2011-13, they'll be in.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1227 on: March 15, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
Palm and Lunardi don't even have St. John's in Dayton.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1228 on: March 15, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »
I think 95% of Bracket Matrix is operating like the 2014-18 Selection Committee is still in place. If they're right, those teams won't be in. If the Selection Committee that is actually in place operates like the mirrored makeup SC from 2011-13, they'll be in.

Yeah, that's a good point.  This year the Matrix could end up being way off cause the bubble is SOOOO soft.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: March 15, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
SJU does NOT deserve to be in the tourney...they MIGHT make it, but certainly don't deserve it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: March 15, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »
SJU does NOT deserve to be in the tourney...they MIGHT make it, but certainly don't deserve it.
They need to find 38 at large schools somewhere. 21 wins. 5 quad 1 wins.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: March 15, 2019, 11:42:57 AM »
Through two rounds of the BET, the seeds have held perfectly.

Pretty crazy after all the legitimate talk about how wide open it was and because the differentiation among the seeds was razor thin.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: March 15, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
We want The Johnnies in for the sake of Big East getting NCAA units.
It's all about the Units!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1233 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »
Palm and Lunardi don't even have St. John's in Dayton.

Over the past 5 years, Palm is 82nd in the Matrix in accuracy. Lunardi is 68th. They may get the most airtime, but they aren't that great at it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: March 15, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »
Over the past 5 years, Palm is 82nd in the Matrix in accuracy. Lunardi is 68th. They may get the most airtime, but they aren't that great at it.

That is seeding teams correct? Don't they miss one team per year to make the field? Maybe two. I'm just worried about who is in or out.
-Bill Walton

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »

Agreed, both average to very bad at their jobs

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1236 on: March 15, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »

This is not entirely accurate.  Palm is quite good at predicting who gets in, he has been less than good at seeding which hurts how they calculate those overall results. 

If you care how accurate the seeding predictions are, don't bother with Palm or Lunardi. If you care who actually gets in, Palm has done well....to the point some have accused CBS of tipping him off.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: March 15, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »
This is not entirely accurate.  Palm is quite good at predicting who gets in, he has been less than good at seeding which hurts how they calculate those overall results. 

If you care how accurate the seeding predictions are, don't bother with Palm or Lunardi. If you care who actually gets in, Palm has done well....to the point some have accused CBS of tipping him off.

Says his lunch buddy...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1239 on: March 15, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
Says his lunch buddy...

Says the data, not my lunch buddy

Palm is a Purdue guy, we enjoy needling from time to time.  For a Purdue guy, he's a good dude.  He is very good at picking teams.

He is 3rd best in picking teams that get in last five years according to their calculations....yes, could be flawed but seems to match up with the Bracket Matrix findings. 

2014 got 67 of 68 right
2015 got 67 of 68 right
2016 got 66 of 68 right
2017 got 68 of 68 right
2018 got 67 of 68 right

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: March 15, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
So, by that data I got my answer.
-Bill Walton

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1241 on: March 15, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »

Palm is a Purdue guy, we enjoy needling from time to time.  For a Purdue guy, he's a good dude.  He is very good at picking teams.

He is 3rd best in picking teams that get in last five years according to their calculations....yes, could be flawed but seems to match up with the Bracket Matrix findings. 

2014 got 67 of 68 right
2015 got 67 of 68 right
2016 got 66 of 68 right
2017 got 68 of 68 right
2018 got 67 of 68 right

And he has at least 4 teams between SJU and the NIT. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1242 on: March 15, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
And he has at least 4 teams between SJU and the NIT.

Lots of golf left.  Doesn’t mean much until Sunday when the final brackets are turned in.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1243 on: March 15, 2019, 03:04:01 PM »
On the way to the city now. Looking forward to going to tonight’s double header.

Rooting hard for X to knock out Nova.

I think our big win over The Johnnies gives us some much needed wind to our sails for the game tonight. I expect a pretty large contingent of fans from The Hall and disgruntled inebriated Johnnie fans in the house tonight .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: March 15, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »

2014 got 67 of 68 right
2015 got 67 of 68 right
2016 got 66 of 68 right
2017 got 68 of 68 right
2018 got 67 of 68 right

And this is the fool's gold in this type of analysis.  When were these predictions made?  These guys use the ones two minutes before they are announced.  It's not a prediction as it is everyone copies each other's homework (and we have the NET this year). Getting the seeds right is the grade that matters.

I guarantee you that Jerry didn't predict any of these mid to low conference upsets in his 67 out 68 right grade. I will go with Brew or Paint Touches over these blowhards. Lunardi pulls this crap too.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1245 on: March 15, 2019, 04:00:48 PM »
And this is the fool's gold in this type of analysis.  When were these predictions made?  These guys use the ones two minutes before they are announced.  It's not a prediction as it is everyone copies each other's homework (and we have the NET this year). Getting the seeds right is the grade that matters.

I guarantee you that Jerry didn't predict any of these mid to low conference upsets in his 67 out 68 right grade. I will go with Brew or Paint Touches over these blowhards. Lunardi pulls this crap too.

They don't radically change their predictions, over the last few years they may change one pick in the last few hours. Even if what you say is true, Palm has done very well at picking who gets in...better than most....better than Lunardi.

If you can't get the teams right, the most important part in my opinion, how do the seedings matter more? If someone can only get 60 of 68 teams right but does well on the seeds, but someone else has all 68 teams right....I'll take that guy.  Where and what seed is secondary, I want to know who is first, what the seed is second.  Besides, the NCAA has always had a few blunders on seedings, hard to predict blunders and how blundery they will be. These guys aren't privy to all the information the NCAA has, let alone the politics in the room.  They are using their own system, approach. 

I'm happy for Palm and his payday from CBS, he keeps working there and providing value.  Good for him.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: March 15, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
Lots of golf left.  Doesn’t mean much until Sunday when the final brackets are turned in.

Seem to remember he had MU “safely” in until his final bracket on Sunday last year. Nowhere to be found on selection Sunday

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: March 15, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
with the 30+ auto qualifiers and the 30 lock at-larges, it's basically picking the last 5 teams.

If they're only getting 65 of 68, they're probably less than 50% correct on the spots open for debate.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: March 15, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »
Seem to remember he had MU “safely” in until his final bracket on Sunday last year. Nowhere to be found on selection Sunday

Exactly. There are so few games to decide NCAA entrants on Sunday any more anyway as they are more for seeds (all big conferences). I would like to see the stats before the mid to low major tournaments last week. I am sure Jerry predicted St. Mary's was going to win over the Zags to get in.

Frankly, I am more impressed that he is Cheeks' lunch partner than his published accuracy numbers.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: March 15, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »
with the 30+ auto qualifiers and the 30 lock at-larges, it's basically picking the last 5 teams.

If they're only getting 65 of 68, they're probably less than 50% correct on the spots open for debate.

This is the correct way of looking at it

feedback