Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference Results/ NCAA/NIT/CBI  (Read 211351 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Big East Conference/Tournament Results
« Reply #1200 on: March 14, 2019, 10:07:19 PM »
I think St John's is out. In all the years of the RPI, they never let a team lower than 67 in. A 32-point home loss could easily drop the Johnnies from 64 to 68, especially as Arizona State & Xavier won behind them. Letting the Johnnies in would basically be throwing the NET out in its first year.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: March 14, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »
Georgetown pissed away a chance to cut this to single digits. 2 missed dunks, 2 turnovers in the paint, missed free throw, shot clock violation.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: March 14, 2019, 10:29:00 PM »
Georgetown pissed away a chance to cut this to single digits. 2 missed dunks, 2 turnovers in the paint, missed free throw, shot clock violation.
'

Not Big East related, but Texas is missing bunnies and not cutting the Kansas lead.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:08 PM »
Through two rounds of the BET, the seeds have held perfectly.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1204 on: March 14, 2019, 11:05:23 PM »
Nice win for The Hall. Should be a great match up tomorrow .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1205 on: March 14, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
I think St John's is out. In all the years of the RPI, they never let a team lower than 67 in. A 32-point home loss could easily drop the Johnnies from 64 to 68, especially as Arizona State & Xavier won behind them. Letting the Johnnies in would basically be throwing the NET out in its first year.

79th in Ken Pom.  They will be very nervous on Sunday.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1206 on: March 14, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »
St. John's will be in.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: March 14, 2019, 11:51:12 PM »
79th in Ken Pom.  They will be very nervous on Sunday.

Read an article today that said the NET very closely parallels kenpom because of its offensive and defensive efficiency emphasis. Some think that’s good, others bad.
For what it’s worth I think it’s better if it didn’t mirror it so closely (because I think it’s more predictive than based on previous results) and used kenpom as an aside tool. It has its value but also its flaws.

That said StJ bigger issue beyond the poor NET will be its ooc sos, that ish is brutal. However, I think Marquette helps get them in- those two wins along nova will be enough imo (5 Q1s). I think today’s decimation pushes them to tue or wed in Dayton tho

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1208 on: March 15, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »
Xavier biggest game of the year tonight versus Villanova. Excellent research report below:

https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/2019/3/15/18266485/xavier-v-villanova-big-east-semifinal-preview-basketball-ncaa-tournament-bubble

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1209 on: March 15, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »
St. John's will be in.

It's possible. If they are, scrap the NET and go back to RPI, because it's obvious the NET has all the merit of single ply toilet paper.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: March 15, 2019, 08:26:33 AM »
Villanova adapting to roster.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/14/villanova-keeps-on-winning-by-using-a-different-style/

Yesterday Wright sat Quinerly again, he hasn't played in four games. Then inserts Cole Swider (former top 40 recruit), who has played one minute in the last 15 games, into major sub minutes. Maybe Wright gets a gut feeling thing going on.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1212 on: March 15, 2019, 08:41:00 AM »
It's possible. If they are, scrap the NET and go back to RPI, because it's obvious the NET has all the merit of single ply toilet paper.

Using any one metric as the determining factor is dumb. I think they’ll use net, but I doubt they’re going to have some arbitrary cut off like the committee seemingly has with RPI.

Also if SJU isn’t in (I think they’re in), then Creighton is getting in. I see no way they only give the Big East 3 bids.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1213 on: March 15, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »
Using any one metric as the determining factor is dumb. I think they’ll use net, but I doubt they’re going to have some arbitrary cut off like the committee seemingly has with RPI.

Also if SJU isn’t in (I think they’re in), then Creighton is getting in. I see no way they only give the Big East 3 bids.

It isn't using one metric, though. St. John's is 79 in Kenpom & was 62 at Sagarin (that will drop) going into yesterday. Some metrics do like them, Pauga has them at 40 & SOR has them at 54. They aren't necessarily dead, but it would likely take an unprecedented decision by the Selection Committee.

I also think Creighton may have fallen out yesterday. Their 17-14 record really doesn't look that great as the D2 win won't be considered, though their SOS likely gives them a better shot (IMO) than the Johnnies. I think the best chance for a 4th Big East bid is Xavier winning the auto.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: March 15, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
Yesterday Wright sat Quinerly again, he hasn't played in four games. Then inserts Cole Swider (former top 40 recruit), who has played one minute in the last 15 games, into major sub minutes. Maybe Wright gets a gut feeling thing going on.
Swider had a hand injury.  Just came back over a week ago.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1215 on: March 15, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
It isn't using one metric, though. St. John's is 79 in Kenpom & was 62 at Sagarin (that will drop) going into yesterday. Some metrics do like them, Pauga has them at 40 & SOR has them at 54. They aren't necessarily dead, but it would likely take an unprecedented decision by the Selection Committee.

I also think Creighton may have fallen out yesterday. Their 17-14 record really doesn't look that great as the D2 win won't be considered, though their SOS likely gives them a better shot (IMO) than the Johnnies. I think the best chance for a 4th Big East bid is Xavier winning the auto.

Yah, Creighton is clearly behind SJU IMO.  I don't think Creighton gets in, but I do think SJU is likely in.  I know Lunardi is a just a guy, but he still has them safe from Dayton in his update this morning.  Most of the teams behind them are already out as well (NC State, TCU, Belmont, Texas, Indiana, Clemson, Furman, Lipscomb, UNCG). 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: March 15, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »

SJU now at 72 NET and 79 Kenpom. X at 65 kenpom and 70 in NET. If X needs two to get in, no way SJU is in.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: March 15, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »
Especially since X swept SJU
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1218 on: March 15, 2019, 09:49:41 AM »
SJU now at 72 NET and 79 Kenpom. X at 65 kenpom and 70 in NET. If X needs two to get in, no way SJU is in.

Yeah, I think St John's is completely done. I would be shocked to see them get an at large.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1219 on: March 15, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »
Big East NET rankings as of games of Thursday March 14. Odd that Creighton lost and improved but Xavier won and stayed the same.
New Old
25   25   Villanova   
28   29   Marquette
52   54   Creighton   
59   62   Seton Hall   
64   65   Butler   
69   69   Providence   
70   70   Xavier   
72   64   St. John's (NY)   
82   78   Georgetown   
102   102   DePaul   
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: March 15, 2019, 09:51:32 AM »
Going into tourney, X was my "upset special."

Playing very well last month-plus. We were fortunate to get them twice earlier in the season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: March 15, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
SJU 5th last team in after Bracketville update this morning.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: March 15, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
Yeah, I think St John's is completely done. I would be shocked to see them get an at large.

NIT a better fit commercially.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1223 on: March 15, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »

The problem is many of the bubble teams are losing.  Someone has to take these spots, and most of the mid-majors like Furman and UNC-Greensboro are hardly listed at all on Bracket Matrix. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1224 on: March 15, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
We want The Johnnies in for the sake of Big East getting NCAA units.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback