Maximilian Langenfeld by wadesworld
[Today at 09:19:59 PM]

Academic All Americans by Pakuni
[Today at 09:06:28 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Conference Results/ NCAA/NIT/CBI  (Read 213521 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1075 on: March 07, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
That bracket would shake out as follows, which is pretty much the absolute best case scenario for MU.

Georgetown (7) vs. Depaul (10)
Providence (8) vs. Butler (9)

Marquette (1) vs. PC/Butler Winner
Xavier (4) vs. Creighton (5)

Villanova (2) vs. Georgetown / Depaul Winner
Seton Hall (3) vs. St. Johns (6)

I would very much enjoy this bracket. I don't think Butler/PC can beat us barring something crazy. We matchup well. We also matchup well with X. Creighton would be worrisome but I want to just avoid SHU and SJU, really. Any other matchup I like our chances.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1076 on: March 07, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »
You mean 1 seed. Share of the title just requires a win and a Nova loss.

Ummm...that is what I said.

"For MU to get a share of the Big East title, the following definitely needs to happen.

1) MU win over Gtown.

2) Seton Hall win over Villanova."
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1077 on: March 07, 2019, 10:53:56 AM »
I would very much enjoy this bracket. I don't think Butler/PC can beat us barring something crazy. We matchup well. We also matchup well with X. Creighton would be worrisome but I want to just avoid SHU and SJU, really. Any other matchup I like our chances.

Yah its pretty much perfect.  Only thing I would change If I could literally hand pick the bracket would be Gtown as the 5 seed and Creighton as the 6.  Not sure if that could actually play out without digging deep into it. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: March 07, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
More likely Nova beats SH.
I think we play the winner of SH/DePaul.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1079 on: March 07, 2019, 01:51:26 PM »
http://bball.notnothing.net/bigeast.php?sport=mbb

Pretty cool sceneries generator I found on John Fantas Twitter.

I don’t think there is a scenario where SJU beats X that gives MU the 1 seed. So to get the 1 seed, MU needs to win, Nova needs to lose and X needs to beat SJU.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1080 on: March 07, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
Found perhaps a better scenario for MU.

All homes teams win Sat except DePaul beats Creighton. MU gets the 1. DePaul then gets the 5, X the 4. Gtown and PC the 8/9. Couldn’t possibly get a better draw.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: March 07, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »

All homes teams win Sat except DePaul beats Creighton. MU gets the 1. DePaul then gets the 5, X the 4. Gtown and PC the 8/9. Couldn’t possibly get a better draw.

This is what I will cheer for. Crazy good draw.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: March 07, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »

OK. That works for me!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: March 07, 2019, 05:22:30 PM »
Ummm...that is what I said.

"For MU to get a share of the Big East title, the following definitely needs to happen.

1) MU win over Gtown.

2) Seton Hall win over Villanova."
Neither of these are likely. More likely: MU loss to Georgetown to make a 4peat.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1084 on: March 07, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
Neither of these are likely. More likely: MU loss to Georgetown to make a 4peat.

Did you not see Georgetown last night? Plus, MU beat them at their place without Markus. I'm not worried, but I don't see Seton Hall knocking off Nova.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1085 on: March 07, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »

That would be nuts. Would need lots of luck but you couldn't get a better draw if you handpicked it. Not inconcievable either. Three games would need to go chalk and DePaul and Seton Hall would need to pull the upset. Unlikely but within the realm of possibility.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: March 07, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
Did you not see Georgetown last night? Plus, MU beat them at their place without Markus. I'm not worried, but I don't see Seton Hall knocking off Nova.

It's classic willie, the most joyless human being in America.

He loves saying this kind of thing. When we beat Georgetown, he'll just fade away for a few days. But if we so happen to lose, he can say he told us so and bash Wojo some more.

He absolutely is rooting for Wojo to fail. Great Marquette fan.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1087 on: March 07, 2019, 07:45:10 PM »
We just need to right the ship and get the win. As for the rest, I want the outcome that maximizes the chances of Big East teams getting in the Big Dance. More money for the Big East from NCAA units.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: March 07, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
It's classic willie, the most joyless human being in America.

He loves saying this kind of thing. When we beat Georgetown, he'll just fade away for a few days. But if we so happen to lose, he can say he told us so and bash Wojo some more.

He absolutely is rooting for Wojo to fail. Great Marquette fan.
Yeah—it’s weird. I don’t get it.
However, I don’t have think we can just think this team is going to turn it around and roll Georgetown because of what DePaul did last night or what we did at their place. This team is lost right now and they need to get right. I hope it comes on Saturday afternoon.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: March 07, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
Yeah—it’s weird. I don’t get it.
However, I don’t have think we can just think this team is going to turn it around and roll Georgetown because of what DePaul did last night or what we did at their place. This team is lost right now and they need to get right. I hope it comes on Saturday afternoon.

I think if we were getting smoked or if we looked clueless for 30-35 of the 40 minutes, I'd agree with you. It's just that the games we were closing earlier in the season we're having trouble now.

I think we'll stomp Georgetown, and I look forward to us winning a close game or two in the BET to get us back on track.

I'm an optimist, yes, but I don't think I'm pollyanna. Just a week and a half ago, there was fear and loathing in NovaLand. Things can and do change quickly in sports.

Hell, I'm old enough to remember the Brewers falling behind 0-2 to the Angels in 1982 but coming back to win, and then following those 3 straight wins by beating the Cardinals 10-0 in Game 1 of the WS. The Brew Crew looked like an unbeatable juggernaut ... until they got beat.

That's sports! Go Marquette!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1091 on: March 08, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »
We just need to right the ship and get the win. As for the rest, I want the outcome that maximizes the chances of Big East teams getting in the Big Dance. More money for the Big East from NCAA units.

I think the only game that has for sure NCAA ramifications is Creighton/Depaul.  Creighton has to win. 

Seton Hall for sure punches their ticket with a win over Nova, but I think they're in regardless.

The rest of the games probably aren't super important for NCAA bids.  Butler/PC, both are toast.  Don't think Gtown gets in even if they beat MU.  All three of those teams are AQ or bust.  X maybe has a super outside shot with a win over SJU and run to the BET final, but I doubt it.  They're likely AQ or bust.  SJU should be in even with a L tomorrow, but they'd certainly be a possibility for Dayton at 8-10 in the BE.  If you're rooting for sealing up BE bids, SJU over X is what you should be pulling for.  But that isn't the best scenario for MU at this point.

Should be an interesting day of hoops tomorrow.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:21 AM »
Haven't kept up with this thread...I know, shame on me...so if this has been mentioned I will accept my punishment. Pretty wild that only 2 teams will be finishing conference with a record above .500
Cant imagine that happens very often, glad we are 1 of the 2

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: March 08, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
Plus only 1 team is guaranteed to finish with a record at .500 (St. Johns v. Xavier)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: March 08, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »
I think if we were getting smoked or if we looked clueless for 30-35 of the 40 minutes, I'd agree with you. It's just that the games we were closing earlier in the season we're having trouble now.

I think we'll stomp Georgetown, and I look forward to us winning a close game or two in the BET to get us back on track.

I'm an optimist, yes, but I don't think I'm pollyanna. Just a week and a half ago, there was fear and loathing in NovaLand. Things can and do change quickly in sports.

Hell, I'm old enough to remember the Brewers falling behind 0-2 to the Angels in 1982 but coming back to win, and then following those 3 straight wins by beating the Cardinals 10-0 in Game 1 of the WS. The Brew Crew looked like an unbeatable juggernaut ... until they got beat.

That's sports! Go Marquette!

Back in '77 we lost 5 or 6 of last games and won it all. Might be wrong my memory is not so good.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: March 08, 2019, 02:44:28 PM »
Back in '77 we lost 5 or 6 of last games and won it all. Might be wrong my memory is not so good.

Lost three in a row in February, then finished the month undefeated.  Tough one point loss to Michigan to end the regular season.  The rest was all good. 
Ludum habemus.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1097 on: March 08, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
Big East Net Rankings as of games of Thursday March 7. The whole league is now below 100.
New Old
25   25   Villanova   
29   29   Marquette   
54   52   Creighton   
59   59   Butler   
61   61   Seton Hall   
62   62   St. John's (NY)   
73   72   Xavier   
77   74   Providence   
80   79   Georgetown   
98   100   DePaul   
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: March 08, 2019, 03:01:43 PM »
Lost three in a row in February, then finished the month undefeated.  Tough one point loss to Michigan to end the regular season.  The rest was all good.
Yep, won 4 in a row on the road after losing those 3.  MU already had been informed that it had a bid at halftime of that MIchigan game (did not have a tourney bid show yet at that time).

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: March 08, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »
Yep, won 4 in a row on the road after losing those 3.  MU already had been informed that it had a bid at halftime of that MIchigan game (did not have a tourney bid show yet at that time).

IIRC, Al had arranged a secret signal. If he changed suits at halftime, that meant a bid had been secured.

feedback