[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference Results/ NCAA/NIT/CBI  (Read 211406 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1025 on: March 05, 2019, 09:03:34 PM »
I’m not being a smartass here, but IF Marquette wins the Big East in a tie with Villanova is it really that important that they get the 1 seed?

Your post makes it seem so, but I don’t really see the importance. The accomplishment will already have been had in the title (although in a split) so I would almost prefer Marquette as the 2 seed playing the last game of the night (instead of first of the day) so that I can watch on Thursday

I don't necessarily think it's important to get the #1 seed...but some people might, and that's okay. I just wanted to let people know where things stand. I do however agree with you...the #2 seed would be best from a viewing perspective(though regardless, I will be watching).
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1026 on: March 05, 2019, 09:19:24 PM »
I prefer co-champs and the #2 seed so I can watch them on Thursday night.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:03 PM »
I prefer co-champs and the #2 seed so I can watch them on Thursday night.

I'm not saying this to be an ass at all, but i always see people here every year, saying they want this or this for MU so they can watch them at night. I mean, I always wonder if no one has vacation time to use??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1028 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »
I'm not saying this to be an ass at all, but i always see people here every year, saying they want this or this for MU so they can watch them at night. I mean, I always wonder if no one has vacation time to use??

Ha!  Well I have plenty.  I just prefer not to use it, and when I look at my calendar for that day I probably can't anyway.  I also have to travel the Friday of the first round of the NCAA tournament so I'm hoping for Thursday/Saturday.

That's not too much to ask right?   :D
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1029 on: March 05, 2019, 09:33:23 PM »
I’m watching the game regardless. It’s a no brainer. But night game is still preferred.

But I’m not taking that over a BE title. The chips will fall where they may, but X losing tonight made us big Hall fans on Saturday.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1030 on: March 05, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »
I’m watching the game regardless. It’s a no brainer. But night game is still preferred.

But I’m not taking that over a BE title. The chips will fall where they may, but X losing tonight made us big Hall fans on Saturday.
A win Saturday for The Hall would help both their cause and our cause.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:25 PM »
I’m not being a smartass here, but IF Marquette wins the Big East in a tie with Villanova is it really that important that they get the 1 seed?

Your post makes it seem so, but I don’t really see the importance. The accomplishment will already have been had in the title (although in a split) so I would almost prefer Marquette as the 2 seed playing the last game of the night (instead of first of the day) so that I can watch on Thursday

I'd agree 1 vs 2 makes little difference. Only benefit I can think of is the team you're playing in the first round has a day game after a night game

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1032 on: March 05, 2019, 10:19:46 PM »
I'd agree 1 vs 2 makes little difference. Only benefit I can think of is the team you're playing in the first round has a day game after a night game
I think the most important thing is to earn a bye. Cooley & Company are in the mode of trying to avoid the first round .

https://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20190305/pc-at-creighton-beating-bluejays-brings-friars-one-step-closer-to-first-round-bye
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: March 06, 2019, 07:09:20 AM »

ScoopTakes!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: March 06, 2019, 08:50:32 AM »
If it's SJU at 9-9, MU will lose the tiebreaker, because in the "mini" conference of Xavier, Georgetown, Creighton...SJU would have the best record via their two wins over Creighton...SJU finishes third in this scenario. MU gets the #2 seed(remember this all ASSUMES an MU-Nova tie).

If my understanding is correct, that procedure would be used to determine the third seed, but not third place. For a MU-Nova tiebreaker, those teams at 9-9 would all be considered tied for third, and it would be the records against that mini-conference.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1035 on: March 06, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »
If my understanding is correct, that procedure would be used to determine the third seed, but not third place. For a MU-Nova tiebreaker, those teams at 9-9 would all be considered tied for third, and it would be the records against that mini-conference.

That is correct.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: March 06, 2019, 09:01:14 AM »
I'm probably being too cynical but Seton Hall is going to get allllllllllll the calls tomorrow

Agreed, I think they'll be allowed to play very aggressive defense, and their steals rate is fairly good (#92) while our ability to avoid steals is fairly terrible (#292). That differential has potential to become exacerbated in their own building (we turned it over 20 times against them earlier in the season). Then another thing I don't like is they are a terrible 3 point shooting team (#283), but if they're the agressors and get in a rhythm, those could start dropping. Absolutely need to protect the ball tonight, can't have another massive TO differential like the past 2 games.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: March 06, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »
“So, if the Beers beat Detroit and Denver beats Atlanta in the American Southwestern Division East Northern, then Milwaukee goes to the Denslow Cup, unless Baltimore can upset Buffalo and Charlotte ties Toronto, then Oakland would play LA and Pittsburgh in a blind choice round robin. And if no clear winner emerges from all of this, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion can be crowned.“

This is so fitting...

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1038 on: March 06, 2019, 09:35:30 AM »
I'm always off of work on the Thursday & Friday of conference tourney week & the NCAA tourney.  ;)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1039 on: March 06, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »
Updated with last nights results from Butler/Xavier game.  Nothing changed as Butler over X was the "expected" result per TRANK.

Current Standings (with current tie breakers):

Villanova 13-4
Marquette 12-4
Georgetown 8-8
Xavier 8-9
St. Johns 8-9
Seton Hall 7-9
Creighton 7-9
Butler 7-10
Depaul 6-10
Providence 6-10

Projected Standings with expected results of remaining schedule via TRANK:

1. Marquette 14-4
[@SHU (W); vs. Gtown (W)]
*MU wins 3rd tie breaker of BE road record (MU 6 wins to Nova's 3, Nova cannot catch MU on that tie breaker.  Teams splits H2H; both teams 3-1 against teams tied for 3rd.*

2. Nova 14-4
[@SHU (W)]

3. Creighton 9-9
[vs.PC (W); vs. Depaul (W)

4. Xavier 9-9
[vs. SJU (W)]

5. SJU 8-10
[@ X (L)]

6. Georgetown 8-10
[@ Depaul (L); @MU (L)]

7. Providence 7-11
[ @Creighton (L); vs. Butler (W)]

8. Butler 7-11
[@PC (L)]

9. Depaul 7-11
[vs. Gtown (W); @ Creighton (L)]

10. Seton Hall 7-11
[vs. MU (L); vs. Nova (L)]

Big East Tourney Bracket (based on above results):

PC vs. Seton Hall
Butler vs. Depaul

Marquette vs. Butler/Depaul Winner
X vs. SJU

Nova vs. PC/Seton Hall Winner
Creighton vs. Gtown
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:07:29 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

MakeItRain11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1040 on: March 06, 2019, 09:57:43 AM »
This is so fitting...

Seriously though! I included the youtube link below for those unfortunate souls that have never seen one of the best sports movies ever made....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFOvldn_IRw&list=PLT9mw3JcIlT2LYVCGBIQonMVbfzXXHih5&index=2

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1041 on: March 06, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »
Tonight's slate:

Marquette @ Seton Hall (530 CT); MU -2
Providence @ Creighton (7 CT); Creighton -5
Georgetown @ Depaul (730 CT); Depaul 1.5

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: March 06, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »
Tonight's slate:

Marquette @ Seton Hall (530 CT); MU -2
Providence @ Creighton (7 CT); Creighton -5
Georgetown @ Depaul (730 CT); Depaul 1.5

For those who still haven't seen the thread, Mr. Nielsen also posts these daily in the "2018-19 Big East TV Guide Thread."  It also includes the channel and who's doing the game.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: March 06, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »
I'm always off of work on the Thursday & Friday of conference tourney week & the NCAA tourney.  ;)

So am I...I guess I assumed most were. I mean what else would one use their vacation time for??  :)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: March 06, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »
So am I...I guess I assumed most were. I mean what else would one use their vacation time for??  :)

Yeah. Not like there is a whole world out there to see or anything  ;)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: March 06, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »

In my field (teaching), it's almost more difficult to miss a day than it is to be there.  Usually, I can get away with putting the MU game on in the back of the room though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: March 06, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »
Updated with last nights results from Butler/Xavier game.  Nothing changed as Butler over X was the "expected" result per TRANK.

Villanova 13-4
Marquette 12-4
Georgetown 8-8
Xavier 8-9
St. Johns 8-9
Seton Hall 7-9
Creighton 7-9
Butler 7-10
Depaul 6-10
Providence 6-10

1. Marquette 14-4
*MU wins 3rd tie breaker of BE road record (MU 6 wins to Nova's 3, Nova cannot catch MU on that tie breaker.  Teams splits H2H; both teams 3-1 against teams tied for 3rd.*

2. Nova 14-4
[@SHU (W)]

3. Creighton 9-9

4. Xavier 9-9
[vs. SJU (W)]

5. SJU 8-10
[@ X (L)]

6. Georgetown 8-10
[@ Depaul (L); @MU (L)]

7. Providence 7-11

8. Butler 7-11
[@PC (L)]

9. Depaul 7-11

10. Seton Hall 7-11

PC vs. Seton Hall
Butler vs. Depaul

X vs. SJU

Creighton vs. Gtown

A lot of good work here. We'll know more after tonight's games, obviously, but this is very interesting.

If the Thursday bracket shakes out this way, I honestly could see any team beating any other team without it being an enormous upset. I could see Nova losing to PC or SH; I could see us losing to Butler or DeP (won't happen, of course, but not crazy to think it could); and both X-StJ and CU-GU would be toss-ups.

Truly wide open this year. A team like X or CU could get hot and win the thing for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: March 06, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »

Villanova 13-4
Marquette 12-4
Georgetown 8-8
Xavier 8-9
St. Johns 8-9
Seton Hall 7-9
Creighton 7-9
Butler 7-10
Depaul 6-10
Providence 6-10

1. Marquette 14-4

2. Nova 14-4
[@SHU (W)]

3. Creighton 9-9

4. Xavier 9-9
[vs. SJU (W)]

5. SJU 8-10
[@ X (L)]

6. Georgetown 8-10
[@ Depaul (L); @MU (L)]

7. Providence 7-11

8. Butler 7-11
[@PC (L)]

9. Depaul 7-11

10. Seton Hall 7-11

PC vs. Seton Hall
Butler vs. Depaul

X vs. SJU

Creighton vs. Gtown

JJJ, this is great stuff thanks..But I'm curious...I'm sure you are correct, but IF this scenario unfolds, where Creighton and X are tied for 3rd..Creighton gets the third seed because of the win over MU...so..does that then make Creighton the 3rd place team for TIEBREAKER purposes only?? I know the tie breaker says "the team or group of teams that occupy the highest spot in the standings", so I'm assuming that since TECHNICALLY Xavier and Creighton both tie for third place, that's why MU wins the road record tiebreaker, rather then for seeding purposes only, using Creighton as the "third place team", since they win the tiebreaker with X??

Presumably, MU then also wins a tiebreaker if the three teams tied at 9-9 are X, GT and Creighton correct?? MU has more wins over that group then Nova would.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:56:49 AM by muguru »

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: March 06, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »

Villanova 13-4
Marquette 12-4
Georgetown 8-8
Xavier 8-9
St. Johns 8-9
Seton Hall 7-9
Creighton 7-9
Butler 7-10
Depaul 6-10
Providence 6-10

1. Marquette 14-4

2. Nova 14-4
[@SHU (W)]

3. Creighton 9-9

4. Xavier 9-9
[vs. SJU (W)]

5. SJU 8-10
[@ X (L)]

6. Georgetown 8-10
[@ Depaul (L); @MU (L)]

7. Providence 7-11

8. Butler 7-11
[@PC (L)]

9. Depaul 7-11

10. Seton Hall 7-11

PC vs. Seton Hall
Butler vs. Depaul

X vs. SJU

Creighton vs. Gtown

I admittedly may be misremembering tiebreaker rules, but I thought after the 3-1 tie in the miniconference between MU and Nova that it keeps moving down the standings (I don't think it goes to road games unless the teams are tied all the way through the standings).  In this scenario it would move down to STJ and Nova would get the 1 seed.  Am I wrong?