[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference Results/ NCAA/NIT/CBI  (Read 211399 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #675 on: February 13, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »
Cooley & Company collapse.

The Hall put to an early lead. Hopefully they can sustain it.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #676 on: February 13, 2019, 07:57:58 PM »
Cooley & Company collapse.

How about......... Villanova asserted its dominance down the stretch.    A good team playing in their bandbox. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #677 on: February 13, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
Creighton must win at Xavier to just stay on the bubble. Down by 1. Game on CBSSN.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #678 on: February 13, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »
The Jays REALLY need to work on getting the ball in at the end of the game...unbelievable.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #679 on: February 13, 2019, 10:15:21 PM »
Someone want to explain what's going on with Creighton?  Up until recently I was worried about their trip to Milwaukee, because they reminded me so much of us last year, where if they're hitting their shots, anything can happen (even with OT putting up 104 is pretty special).  But their last three games they've scored 59 with OT (albeit against a very good Nova team), 58, and 61 with OT against a pretty poor X team, including a staggering 2 points in OT.  Have the wheels fallen off in Omaha or were they just never on to begin with and they played their best game of the season against us?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #680 on: February 13, 2019, 10:18:34 PM »
Someone want to explain what's going on with Creighton?  Up until recently I was worried about their trip to Milwaukee, because they reminded me so much of us last year, where if they're hitting their shots, anything can happen (even with OT putting up 104 is pretty special).  But their last three games they've scored 59 with OT (albeit against a very good Nova team), 58, and 61 with OT against a pretty poor X team, including a staggering 2 points in OT.  Have the wheels fallen off in Omaha or were they just never on to begin with and they played their best game of the season against us?

Players quit on McDermott after realizing he couldn't even coach the most simple inbound-the-ball-to-anybody-and-win situation in college basketball history.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #681 on: February 13, 2019, 10:38:02 PM »
Nice win for The Hall. Creighton blew an opportunity for a road win.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #682 on: February 13, 2019, 10:39:02 PM »
I want St. John's far away from MU's side of the bracket in NYC. Whatever makes that happen. I'd lean Butler if you think we end up in 2nd and SJU if you think we overtake Nova.

Color me crazy but this year I really don’t want this. I am yearning for a third matchup, even as a home game for the Johnnies. I know it makes no sense, and I’ve never been the type to argue the “to be the best you’ve gotta beat the best,” because afterall it is about matchups. That said, I really want to play St John’s again.

Maybe it’s cause I’m butthurt, maybe it’s cause I am fearless with this team. It’s funny because the only two times I had a really strong feeling that Marquette loses this season in conf play was both games v StJohns, but now I have a really strong feeling that it would be good for the team to play them again and exercise those demons.

You don’t want to go into the dance thinking that there is a type that you can’t beat. That style team is pretty much Marquette’s worst type (outside of the roided out athletic version at Duke) yet I’m sure most of us know that our fellas are more talented and will be able to overcome. I want to see it in real life via a semis win and then win the BET the following night, head into the big dance playing with house money.

I absolutely mean it with all my heart that the above scenario, or a regular season BE Title, would make this season a complete success in my eyes no matter if/when/where we lost in the ncaa tournament. Of course I’d be disappointed when it ends, it’s only natural, but this season more than any other I can remember as a mubb fan has been one of those complete journey fulfilling/entertaining seasons.

I’m much more saddened that it has to end than worried about how it ends. I’m downright terrified at the idea that there may only be roughly 10 more games of Markus left. What a treat it’s been so far

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #683 on: February 13, 2019, 10:54:22 PM »
I got a kick out of the last few pages of people thinking creighton still had a shot at the tourney. We’ve somehow managed to build a team that, when our freshman pg is out injured, has zero ball handlers on the team. It’s pretty wild. Hopefully seton hall finishes or St. John’s finishes out strong because creighton won’t be the 3rd BE team in the tournament.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #684 on: February 13, 2019, 10:56:58 PM »
DoctorV

Give me SJU all day in a matchup for the Big East Chanpionship. I'd just prefer SJU and Nova are on one side of the bracket and MU the other.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #685 on: February 13, 2019, 10:57:21 PM »
I got a kick out of the last few pages of people thinking creighton still had a shot at the tourney. We’ve somehow managed to build a team that, when our freshman pg is out injured, has zero ball handlers on the team. It’s pretty wild. Hopefully seton hall finishes or St. John’s finishes out strong because creighton won’t be the 3rd BE team in the tournament.
Zegarowski injury was a tough loss for The Jays
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #686 on: February 13, 2019, 11:10:16 PM »

I was guilty of that. Really thought they'd win tonight and turn it into a nice finish. Nail seems to be in the coffin now.

SJU and SHU will likely be teams 3 and 4. Might stop there. Butler has a shot. Maybe a bid thief in NYC as well.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #687 on: February 14, 2019, 02:33:13 PM »
I was guilty of that. Really thought they'd win tonight and turn it into a nice finish. Nail seems to be in the coffin now.

SJU and SHU will likely be teams 3 and 4. Might stop there. Butler has a shot. Maybe a bid thief in NYC as well.
The Johnnies and The Hall are kind of tied at the hip. The Hall needs to win as many as they can and if The Johnnies can also get on a run it directly helps the The Hall. Gives them one more  quality win.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #688 on: February 14, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »
Big East Net Rankings as of games of Wednesday February 13. Nova snuck ahead of us.

New Old
19   21   Villanova   
20   19   Marquette   
47   48   St. John's
53   53   Butler   
59   57   Creighton   
61   69   Seton Hall   
73   74   Providence   
79   78   Georgetown   
93   94   DePaul   
107   106   Xavier   
                       ---Al McGuire

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #689 on: February 14, 2019, 07:47:23 PM »

Georgetown 7-11
[@ SHU (L); vs. Nova (L); @Creighton (L): vs. Depaul (W); vs. SHU (W); @ Depaul (L); @MU (L)]

Without some help in this regard, Georgetown misses the post-season for a fourth consecutive year.

Last time that happened was 1970-74.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #690 on: February 15, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
I always want the most Big East teams in the tournament because it ultimately is to MU’s benefit. The league gets more money to spread around and the visibility is very helpful for recruiting.

This is the single most important reason to get more conference teams in the tourney.

It's not about prestige or media exposure. The Big 10 and ACC will dominate discussions of how many teams earned bids, likely earning at least 8 bids each. And after the Round of 64, the Big East will probably be down to Marquette and Villanova still alive anyway. Unless someone like Butler pulls off an upset, the others will be quickly forgotten.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #691 on: February 16, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
Providence getting jelly-rolled at home by Xavier.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #692 on: February 16, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »
Providence getting jelly-rolled at home by Xavier.

Their postseason hopes have been circling the drain for awhile, this probably flushes them for good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #693 on: February 16, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »
Their postseason hopes have been circling the drain for awhile, this probably flushes them for good.

Until they win the autobid.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #694 on: February 16, 2019, 06:05:30 PM »
Until they win the autobid.
Cooley & Company are capable of getting hot in the BET but they would need to get a bye otherwise they have to win too many games in a row.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #695 on: February 16, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »
Butler hanging in there . They absolutely can not lose this one.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #696 on: February 16, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »
Butler pulls away at the end. Hopefully that helps their NET ranking.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #697 on: February 17, 2019, 08:43:37 AM »
Game Day Article on The Johnnies and Nova. Johnnies have a lot of recruits in for it:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/17/st-johns-has-2nd-chance-to-get-a-statement-win-over-villanova/
                       ---Al McGuire

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #698 on: February 17, 2019, 11:42:32 AM »
Game Day Article on The Johnnies and Nova. Johnnies have a lot of recruits in for it:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/17/st-johns-has-2nd-chance-to-get-a-statement-win-over-villanova/

Well they screwed us twice this season.  Now is their chance to help themselves and make amends.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #699 on: February 17, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »
Go st johns??