[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference Results/ NCAA/NIT/CBI  (Read 211368 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #625 on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »
I know many here had strong opinions a few weeks ago about this, but is it outlandish to think that if selection Sunday were tomorrow only 2 big east teams would get in? What a weird season.

I’m not sure I see any team breaking through in the remaining 7 games.

I think we’re looking at MU/Villanova plus a possible BET winner wild card. Other than that I’m not seeing it. Maybe one of those teams will make a play in game. Down year. Happy MU is one of the top 2.

Very outlandish, yes.  St. John's, despite their clunker games, still have 5 Q1 victories and only one "bad" loss.  If the season ended right now, they'd for sure be in.  Seton hall, because of their non-con, would be a bubbly team but most likely in today.  If you look at other bubble teams, which I just did a lot of re-evaluating this morning of, they're right in there.  Butler and Creighton, while I don't think are in if the season ended today, are still very much in the bubble mix.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #626 on: February 10, 2019, 09:09:44 AM »
Very outlandish, yes.  St. John's, despite their clunker games, still have 5 Q1 victories and only one "bad" loss.  If the season ended right now, they'd for sure be in.  Seton hall, because of their non-con, would be a bubbly team but most likely in today.  If you look at other bubble teams, which I just did a lot of re-evaluating this morning of, they're right in there.  Butler and Creighton, while I don't think are in if the season ended today, are still very much in the bubble mix.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #627 on: February 10, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »

St John's really needs VCU and Georgetown to stay where they are. Both are Q1 for now but are likely one loss from losing that status. I'd guess when the new rankings come out today, at Georgetown will no longer be a Q1 win.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #628 on: February 10, 2019, 12:08:08 PM »
Well,

We didn’t move at all in the NET.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #629 on: February 10, 2019, 01:32:38 PM »
Well,

We didn’t move at all in the NET.

Yep. We were "supposed" to beat Nova by 2. We won by 1. So no movement, and if we did move it would likely be negative.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #630 on: February 10, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
Big East Net rankings as of games of Saturday February 9. DePaul big move , now in top 90.

New Old
19   19   Villanova   
21   21   Marquette   
49   40   St. John's
53   57   Butler   
57   55   Creighton   
65   67   Seton Hall   
74   85   Providence   
78   72   Georgetown   
89   108   DePaul   
108   94   Xavier   
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #631 on: February 10, 2019, 10:30:13 PM »
It feels like 3 to 4 bids are possible for the big east.

If 9 -9 gives teams a chance then DePaul with 4 home games and St. John’s 4 home games have the best chance to go 9-9. I think DePaul probably needs 10 in the big east.

Seton hall 4 home games but faces Marquette and Villanova at home would probably get in at 9-9

Georgetown and butler have 4 on the road. They also need to win 5 to go 9-9.

Providence and Georgetown need alot of help. Xavier next year...

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #632 on: February 10, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
Creighton needs 5 wins and has 4 home games, they may have a chance and doesn’t have to play nova.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #633 on: February 12, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »
Big East Net Rankings as of Games of Monday February 11. Not sure who to root for in tonight's Butler Johnnies game. In theory I  want the team with the best chance of making the tournament to get the win. Don't really know who that is among those two.
New  Old
19   19   Villanova   
21   21   Marquette   
49   49   St. John's
54   53   Butler   
57   57   Creighton   
68   65   Seton Hall   
74   74   Providence   
78   78   Georgetown   
88   89   DePaul   
106   108   Xavier   
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #634 on: February 12, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »
Big East Net Rankings as of Games of Monday February 11. Not sure who to root for in tonight's Butler Johnnies game. In theory I  want the team with the best chance of making the tournament to get the win. Don't really know who that is among those two.
New  Old
19   19   Villanova   
21   21   Marquette   
49   49   St. John's
54   53   Butler   
57   57   Creighton   
68   65   Seton Hall   
74   74   Providence   
78   78   Georgetown   
88   89   DePaul   
106   108   Xavier

I want St. John's far away from MU's side of the bracket in NYC. Whatever makes that happen. I'd lean Butler if you think we end up in 2nd and SJU if you think we overtake Nova.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #635 on: February 12, 2019, 05:43:48 PM »
I want St. John's far away from MU's side of the bracket in NYC. Whatever makes that happen. I'd lean Butler if you think we end up in 2nd and SJU if you think we overtake Nova.
It looks like the Johnnies have the easier schedule from here on out than Butler. I guess if we were to tie Nova record wise we would be the 1 seed based on the head to head. So guess I am leaning toward The Johnnies camp tonight.
                       ---Al McGuire

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #636 on: February 12, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »

I wouldn't mind a third game. The first two took place under some pretty strange extenuating circumstances. Ironically a game in MSG, though a deal facto roadie, would be he most normal situation of the three.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #637 on: February 12, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
As usual, TAMU, I’m right on this one:

MULTIPLE-TEAM TIE (3 or more teams)

1. Teams are viewed as a “mini-conference” when comparing head-to-head results. The team with the best record vs. the other teams in the mini-conference gains the advantage. The team with the worst record vs. the other teams in the mini-conference is seeded the lowest.

Just an FYI, what you quoted IS NOT from the Big East Conference's 2019 Tie-breaker procedures. The language changes aren't meaningful, but it appears you're pulling from a FALSE SOURCE.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #638 on: February 12, 2019, 07:43:37 PM »

On the upside, St John's will have to beat someone other than Marquette to play us again. Not sure they're capable of that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #639 on: February 12, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
Just an FYI, what you quoted IS NOT from the Big East Conference's 2019 Tie-breaker procedures. The language changes aren't meaningful, but it appears you're pulling from a FALSE SOURCE.

I quoted from 2015, which is the most recent one I could find.  If anyone has the 2019 rules, I'd love to see them.

And I didn't mean to be a jerk, just an inside joke with TAMU about being right.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #640 on: February 12, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
Butler has tied the game at St. John's @51. Game is on CBSSN.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #641 on: February 12, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
Johnnies win 77-73 in OT

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #642 on: February 12, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »
Would like to see the Johnnies get a winning streak going so they can comfortably get in the tournament.  Seton Hall needs to come alive as they have such a nice non conference resume it would be a shame to waste that.
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #643 on: February 13, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
If Creighton can win at Xavier tonight I think they may make a run to a bid. If they win, they'll be 5-7 in conference. Their remaining games are

Home:

Seton Hall
Georgetown
DePaul
Providence

Away:

DePaul
Marquette

They have the upcoming schedule to go on a big run.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #644 on: February 13, 2019, 12:16:31 PM »
Current Standings:

Nova 10-1
Marquette 10-2
SJU 6-6
Seton Hall 5-6
Georgetown 5-6
Depaul 5-7
Butler 5-7
Providence 4-7
Creighton 4-7
Xavier 3-8

Projected Standings with expected results of remaining schedule via TRANK:

Nova 16-2
[vs. PC (W); @SJU (L); @Gtown (W); @X (W); vs. MU (W), vs. Butler (W); @SHU (W)]

Marquette 15-3
[vs. Butler (W); @PC (W); @Nova (L): vs. Creighton (W); @SHU (W); vs. Gtown (W)]

SJU 11-7
[vs. Nova (W); @PC (L); vs. SHU (W): vs. X (W); @Depaul (W); @ X (W)]

Creighton 10-8
[@X (W); vs. SHU (W); @Depaul (W): vs. Gtown (W); @MU (L); vs.PC (W); vs. Depaul (W)

Butler 8-10
[vs. Depaul (W); @MU (L); vs. PC (W): @Nova (L); vs. X (W); @PC (L)]

Seton Hall 7-11
[vs. Gtown (W); @Creighton (L); vs. X (W): @ SJU (L); @Gtown (L); vs. MU (L); vs. Nova (L)]

Georgetown 7-11
[@ SHU (L); vs. Nova (L); @Creighton (L): vs. Depaul (W); vs. SHU (W); @ Depaul (L); @MU (L)]

Providence 7-11
[@NOVA (L); vs. X (W); vs. SJU (W): vs. MU (L); @Butler (L); @Creighton (L); vs. Butler (W)]

Depaul 6-12
[@Butler (L); vs. Creighton (L); @Gtown (L): vs. SJU (L); vs. Gtown (W); @ Creighton (L)]

Xavier 3-15
[vs. Creighton (L); @PC (L); @SHU (L): vs. Nova (L); @SJU (L); @Butler (L); vs. SJU (L)]
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #645 on: February 13, 2019, 12:24:19 PM »
Good stuff JjJJjJJJJjJjjjj.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #646 on: February 13, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »
Really would like to find a way to get St. Johns on the other side of the bracket for the Big East Tournament

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #647 on: February 13, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
Current Standings:

Nova 10-1
Marquette 10-2
SJU 6-6
Seton Hall 5-6
Georgetown 5-6
Depaul 5-7
Butler 5-7
Providence 4-7
Creighton 4-7
Xavier 3-8

Projected Standings with expected results of remaining schedule via TRANK:

Nova 16-2
[vs. PC (W); @SJU (L); @Gtown (W); @X (W); vs. MU (W), vs. Butler (W); @SHU (W)]

Marquette 15-3
[vs. Butler (W); @PC (W); @Nova (L): vs. Creighton (W); @SHU (W); vs. Gtown (W)]

SJU 11-7
[vs. Nova (W); @PC (L); vs. SHU (W): vs. X (W); @Depaul (W); @ X (W)]

Creighton 10-8
[@X (W); vs. SHU (W); @Depaul (W): vs. Gtown (W); @MU (L); vs.PC (W); vs. Depaul (W)

Butler 8-10
[vs. Depaul (W); @MU (L); vs. PC (W): @Nova (L); vs. X (W); @PC (L)]

Seton Hall 7-11
[vs. Gtown (W); @Creighton (L); vs. X (W): @ SJU (L); @Gtown (L); vs. MU (L); vs. Nova (L)]

Georgetown 7-11
[@ SHU (L); vs. Nova (L); @Creighton (L): vs. Depaul (W); vs. SHU (W); @ Depaul (L); @MU (L)]

Providence 7-11
[@NOVA (L); vs. X (W); vs. SJU (W): vs. MU (L); @Butler (L); @Creighton (L); vs. Butler (W)]

Depaul 6-12
[@Butler (L); vs. Creighton (L); @Gtown (L): vs. SJU (L); vs. Gtown (W); @ Creighton (L)]

Xavier 3-15
[vs. Creighton (L); @PC (L); @SHU (L): vs. Nova (L); @SJU (L); @Butler (L); vs. SJU (L)]

What a bummer that'd be for depaul. On their forum they have legit nit aspirations
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #648 on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:09 PM »
If Creighton can win at Xavier tonight I think they may make a run to a bid. If they win, they'll be 5-7 in conference. Their remaining games are

Home:

Seton Hall
Georgetown
DePaul
Providence

Away:

DePaul
Marquette

They have the upcoming schedule to go on a big run.

The challenge with Creighton is that they only have two Q1 wins, one of which is at #74 Providence, two spots away from being a Q2 win. The only Q1 game left on their schedule is at Marquette. If they don't win that game, and Providence slips to a Q2 win. I'm not sure that 18-12 with 1 Q1 win is enough. I'm not sure that 18-12 with 2 Q1 wins is enough. Especially if the best neutal court against #39 Clemson and the other is practically a Q2 win.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #649 on: February 13, 2019, 01:06:10 PM »
The challenge with Creighton is that they only have two Q1 wins, one of which is at #74 Providence, two spots away from being a Q2 win. The only Q1 game left on their schedule is at Marquette. If they don't win that game, and Providence slips to a Q2 win. I'm not sure that 18-12 with 1 Q1 win is enough. I'm not sure that 18-12 with 2 Q1 wins is enough. Especially if the best neutal court against #39 Clemson and the other is practically a Q2 win.

TAMU, do you think that when it comes time for the committee to do their work, they will look at a certain win and say, "Well, that's technically a Q1 win, but barely so. Practically a Q2"?

Not asking sarcastically at all. Wondering if you've gotten a feel for that kind of distinction.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson