[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference Results/ NCAA/NIT/CBI  (Read 211394 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #450 on: January 27, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
One of the most over hyped, over rated teams in the country going into this year...I know everyone assumed a loss at SJU when MU played them, but now you see why that one sticks in my craw so much...they aren't, and never have been that good. Rothstein saying they had the best roster in the Big east was a joke at the time he said it...he beat that drum before the season too once Heron was deemed eligible...I simply tweeted back at him "Marquette says hi Jon". MU is the most talented team in the BE...not sure why so many couldn't see that.

Last few years SJU has grabbed some scalps, especially in NYC, including Duke last year.  Talent is there, teams can get hot.

We will lose again, these kids are not robots, we will lose some games we probably shouldn’t and win some games we probably shouldn’t. 

Sports...it happens.  Whether you think they were overhyped or not doesn’t change the fact that ANY TEAM IN THIS LEAGUE can beat any other team in this league.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #451 on: January 27, 2019, 03:21:58 PM »
Last few years SJU has grabbed some scalps, especially in NYC, including Duke last year.  Talent is there, teams can get hot.

We will lose again, these kids are not robots, we will lose some games we probably shouldn’t and win some games we probably shouldn’t. 

Sports...it happens.  Whether you think they were overhyped or not doesn’t change the fact that ANY TEAM IN THIS LEAGUE can beat any other team in this league.
I don't think there's a game on the schedule that we "should not" win but I get what you're saying

muguru

• All American
« Reply #452 on: January 27, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »

I absolutely do NOT disagree with that at all...any team can beat any team...but this was a roster talent discussion...and MU has the most talented roster in the BE. Jon Rothstein said it was SJU, I NEVER agreed with that...always thought it was MU.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #453 on: January 27, 2019, 03:28:50 PM »
Seton Hall's trip to Villanova today:

This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #454 on: January 27, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
I absolutely do NOT disagree with that at all...any team can beat any team...but this was a roster talent discussion...and MU has the most talented roster in the BE. Jon Rothstein said it was SJU, I NEVER agreed with that...always thought it was MU.

Sorry, disagree.  Villanova has the most talent, they are just young.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #455 on: January 27, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »
Big East Net Rankings as  of games Saturday January 26. Not much changed.

New Old

19   19   Marquette   
21   23   Villanova   
39   39   St. John's
50   52   Butler   
57   58   Creighton   
60   56   Seton Hall   
72   72   Providence   
86   86   Xavier   
99   97   DePaul   
109   105   Georgetown   
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #456 on: January 27, 2019, 04:54:23 PM »

Booth and Pascall are both 5 year players lmao.

And they are far and away the two best players
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #457 on: January 27, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
Looking at the Big East standings and it is so great that we are in the group with 7 wins and not in that pack with 3 wins.  Have to keep battling each possession.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #458 on: January 27, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »

You would be incorrect
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #459 on: January 27, 2019, 05:46:48 PM »
One of the most over hyped, over rated teams in the country going into this year...I know everyone assumed a loss at SJU when MU played them, but now you see why that one sticks in my craw so much...they aren't, and never have been that good. Rothstein saying they had the best roster in the Big east was a joke at the time he said it...he beat that drum before the season too once Heron was deemed eligible...I simply tweeted back at him "Marquette says hi Jon". MU is the most talented team in the BE...not sure why so many couldn't see that.

That loss was annoying but doesn’t bother me much. They likely beat one of the Nova championship teams that night if Nova wasn’t at their top. They flat out didn’t miss a critical shot and had mediocre shooters raining bombs

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #460 on: January 27, 2019, 08:28:43 PM »
EDIT: Yeah...wrote this earlier and posted it now. Well documented that the Johnnies are in trouble. Feeling a bit more confident about my 7th place prediction for them now.

Yep, if I remember correctly you were one of the first to call it.  you're looking good.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #461 on: January 27, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »
You would be incorrect

They have two super seniors that are studs.  A 5 star freshman, along with several 4 star kids.  Raw talent, I’m going with Nova.  On defense they have shut down the elite players in this league which is frightening.  Absolutely smothered them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #462 on: January 27, 2019, 09:54:17 PM »
Booth and Pascall are both 5 year players lmao.

And they are far and away the two best players

Villanova starts 2 5th year seniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshman. 6th man is a senior. One was rsci top 100 - Booth, #84

MU starts 1 4th year junior, 2 juniors, a sophomore and a freshman. 6th man is a senior. Four were rsci top 100 - J Hauser #57, Howard #71 (higher but for a late reclassification), Morrow #85 and S Hauser #94.

Looking at contributors, they are older and less talented.

They do have young talent farther down the bench - their 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th men were ranked 45th, 39th, 29th and 52nd. Only Matt Heldt (#96) was top 100 from the end of our bench. Maybe some of this young talent will emerge for Villanova down the stretch - but so far, not so much.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #463 on: January 27, 2019, 09:57:08 PM »
Villanova starts 2 5th year seniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshman. 6th man is a senior. One was rsci top 100 - Booth, #84

MU starts 1 4th year junior, 2 juniors, a sophomore and a freshman. 6th man is a senior. Four were rsci top 100 - J Hauser #57, Howard #71 (higher but for a late reclassification), Morrow #85 and S Hauser #94.

They do have young talent farther down the bench - their 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th men were ranked 45th, 39th, 29th and 52nd. Only Matt Heldt (#96) was top 100 from the end of our bench. Maybe some of this young talent will emerge for Villanova down the stretch - but so far, not so much.

I was talking about this earlier today-odd thing about Nova roster—no juniors

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #464 on: January 27, 2019, 10:28:58 PM »
Heck, we’re down to one senior in our class (plus our grad xfer) out of an incoming class of 5.  It happens.

Also, Nova has the number 2 recruiting class in the country for 2019.  They just keep reloading, so we gotta do the same.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #465 on: January 27, 2019, 11:52:03 PM »
                       ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
I'll admit I was wrong about this year's BE.  I thought there would be 6 teams clumped between 9 and 12 wins, with the bottom 4 clumped between 5 and 7 wins.

Marquette and Villanova have clearly separated from the pack.  The rest of the teams are a hot mess.  It will be interesting to see the rest of the season play out.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2019, 07:39:16 AM »
Mullins really doesn't control that team.

Down 2, run a press, get a TO, Ponds gets it and immediately tries a behind the back pass while on the floor, OOB to GT.  Immediately after, they trap on the other end of the floor, force another TO, Figueora forces up a leaning, off balance transition 3, missed, 2 more wild putback attempts with the ENTIRE team crashing the glass so a simple rebound and pass leads to a 3 on 0 break and McClung dunks it.  Next possession another quick and wild shot leads to another 2 on 1 break and a layup.

They have a very athletic team and Ponds is excellent, but if they aren't shooting really well, they have no clue what to do.

To be fair, on that play they were out of time outs.  He couldn't get up and he had to do something.  A bad outcome was somewhat likely there.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2019, 07:45:42 AM »

Do you consider Paschall a worse player than Morrow despite Morrow being a top 100 RSCI player?  For that matter, do you think Morrow and Booth are essentially equal as their rating implies?

In terms of total talent, Nova has more but it is young, as you state.  Our big 3 are up there, then throw in Theo as a rising star, but Nova has more of it dispersed throughout in my opinion.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2019, 07:47:50 AM »
Coach Willard is getting nervous.
https://nypost.com/2019/01/27/seton-hall-gets-annihilated-in-its-biggest-test/

Nova is going to be a defensive challenge for us.  I worry very much about our backcourt in those games.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #470 on: January 28, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
Got a kick out of the Xavier message board.

"I still say there's no reason we can't win the Crappy 8 this year. We should cut the nets on senior day and raise a banner if we do it, too."

"With a win yesterday, Xavier could have been alone in first in the Crappy Eight. Instead, we've fallen into a four way tie for last, a half half game out of first. It's going to be an interesting race all year long in the Crappy Eight. "

I am very happy to be in the non-crappy 2.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #471 on: January 28, 2019, 11:52:59 AM »

Nova is going to be a defensive challenge for us.  I worry very much about our backcourt in those games.
As long as the kids don't try to force things to happen and let the game come to them they will be fine. It is the hero ball that Nova traditionally exploits and leads to fast breaks etc. I think we will see a couple of runs  of that large lineup that we saw at Georgetown, the one that was Theo, Sam , Joey, Bailey and Sacar. 
                       ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #472 on: January 28, 2019, 12:00:04 PM »
KampusFoods

At this moment, I am not worried about playing anyone in the Crappy 8. I am not even that worried about playing 'Nova two times over next couple of weeks. I really wish they had two real solid NC games over next couple of weeks to see how they fare against other teams ranked in the top 15. Since we don't, I hope we get the best that 'Nova has to offer two times and see what happens.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »
KampusFoods

At this moment, I am not worried about playing anyone in the Crappy 8. I am not even that worried about playing 'Nova two times over next couple of weeks. I really wish they had two real solid NC games over next couple of weeks to see how they fare against other teams ranked in the top 15. Since we don't, I hope we get the best that 'Nova has to offer two times and see what happens.
I have felt for some time we can control our own destiny by virtue of the fact that every game we play is realistically winnable. We have to stay focused on the Crappy 8 teams  as those guys are going to be gunning for us. They have the potential to really screw up any potential good seeding we have.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #474 on: January 28, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »

Agreed.