[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: In sports TV news, FS1 passed ESPN2 in 2018  (Read 5558 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
In sports TV news, FS1 passed ESPN2 in 2018
« on: December 26, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
For the first time in 25 years, ESPN and ESPN2 will not be the top 2 sports networks.  ESPN will remain number one with a massive lead, but NBCSN is now #2 and FS1 has also surpassed ESPN 2 for the third spot.  FS1 had a record year in viewership.   NBC benefited because of the Olympics, while FS1 had some lift due to MLB playoffs.

Thought you all might want to know since we are in bed with Fox.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: In sports TV news, FS1 passed ESPN2 in 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
It was a World Cup year, and while the lack of an American presence definitely hurt Fox overall, it was still a boost for FS1.

Big Ten football and basketball has also been a boost to FS1.

Will be interesting to see what in 2019 what the PBA (bowling) will do for FS1.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 02:14:30 PM »
For the first time in 25 years, ESPN and ESPN2 will not be the top 2 sports networks.  ESPN will remain number one with a massive lead, but NBCSN is now #2 and FS1 has also surpassed ESPN 2 for the third spot.  FS1 had a record year in viewership.   NBC benefited because of the Olympics, while FS1 had some lift due to MLB playoffs.

Thought you all might want to know since we are in bed with Fox.

Megan, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 02:22:20 PM »
It was a World Cup year, and while the lack of an American presence definitely hurt Fox overall, it was still a boost for FS1.

Big Ten football and basketball has also been a boost to FS1.

Will be interesting to see what in 2019 what the PBA (bowling) will do for FS1.

World Cup does help, but what is encouraging is FS1 has done better in other months when the WC wasn't played.

On the horizon is the Big Ten and Pac 12 TV contracts, coming up in a few years.  Big 12, too.  Hopefully the conference reshuffle is done, but all eyes are on Texas (and Oklahoma) to see how it goes.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
Sup @TeamcoachBuzz

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
also remember that espn is paying the UFC $300 million a year for the next five years.   On the Fox channels it was filling over 1000 hours per year of programming.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
also remember that espn is paying the UFC $300 million a year for the next five years.   On the Fox channels it was filling over 1000 hours per year of programming.
It wasn't a value for FS1 anymore. That hours of programming was many replays. Otherwise known as fillers.

WWE Smackdown is going to FOX in fall. Many fillers might come to FS1 with that.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 11:00:36 PM »

Yup, among other things I am responsible for in our sports portfolio, UFC is one of them.  That was a decision of need for ESPN in my opinion, less so for Fox, but we'll see how it works out. ESPN is looking for content on ESPN+, which is the primary driver of that content switch.  WME-IMG,  has been a partner of ours for over 10 years....they paid a lot for UFC. Dana is an interesting guy to say the least, but they need to get a stable of fighters ready quickly as right now it's a little light in my opinion.  Moving to a streaming service mostly may impact their brand, or maybe it won't.  Time will be the judge.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 11:02:21 PM »
World Cup does help, but what is encouraging is FS1 has done better in other months when the WC wasn't played.

On the horizon is the Big Ten and Pac 12 TV contracts, coming up in a few years.  Big 12, too.  Hopefully the conference reshuffle is done, but all eyes are on Texas (and Oklahoma) to see how it goes.

And therefore Oklahoma State as well, no?  I seem to remember them being a package deal (or maybe I'm thinking of UNC-NC State when UNC was rumored to move to the B10)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 11:11:40 PM »
And therefore Oklahoma State as well, no?  I seem to remember them being a package deal (or maybe I'm thinking of UNC-NC State when UNC was rumored to move to the B10)

If I recall there is some legislation that the OSU lawmakers pushed through to make sure they weren't left at the altar.  I don't know if it passed or if it is constitutional, but maybe.

Texas is the big one. They could go independent, could go to the Big Ten, Pac 12, SEC, or drive an even better deal with the Big 12. They hold the cards and the network money from Longhorn Network which is guaranteed and tied to Texas, not to a conference.  Meanwhile, Pac 12 has some challenges for sure.  Aside from the conference struggling mightily in football and basketball, the Pac 12 network is independently owned by the universities, which gives them no leverage in the negotiations.  AT&T dropped them from U-verse in November, which also effectively meant no expansion on DIRECTV or DIRECTV NOW (22 million subs).  Fun times ahead, but I don't think nearly the insanity the last go around.  When the music stops this time, there just aren't as many chairs nor partners to play the music.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:28:30 PM by Cheeks »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »

Ahhhh stability. But the NBE was too volatile to be able to recruit, right Bazz?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 05:38:27 AM »
It wasn't a value for FS1 anymore. That hours of programming was many replays. Otherwise known as fillers.

WWE Smackdown is going to FOX in fall. Many fillers might come to FS1 with that.

Great. Fake sports and mindless debate shows. No wonder I usually only watch when MU is playing.

Give me NBCSN. Smart commentary on sports they cover. NHL, Premier League, etc.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 07:46:06 AM »
It's about a year or so away, but the NHL could split it's package. FOX, ESPN & Turner might be in the running.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »

Other than a A-10 game, some NHL playoffs or the Olympics, can't say I care to watch NBCSN. That said, I love what that network does for those sports. Best thing that has happened to the NHL.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
Other than a A-10 game, some NHL playoffs or the Olympics, can't say I care to watch NBCSN. That said, I love what that network does for those sports. Best thing that has happened to the NHL.

Agreed. They do it smart without the hyperbolic nonsense.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 10:05:55 AM »
Great. Fake sports and mindless debate shows. No wonder I usually only watch when MU is playing.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
plus MSNBC has MU's own Trenni Kusnierek working their curling broadcasts.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
plus MSNBC has MU's own Trenni Kusnierek working their curling broadcasts.

Why is curling on a sports network?

Maybe The Cooking Channel or C-Span would be a better match.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »
Why is curling on a sports network?

Maybe The Cooking Channel or C-Span would be a better match.

Says the dude with the Canadian flag as their profile picture?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »

Perhaps the Great British Baking Show, then.   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »

I'm guessing he is making a political statement more than anything.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
Does this include people that stream? How is that calculated or tracked?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
This is Football-  EVERYONE ROOT FOR THE 'CANES  TO KICK BUCKY'S A-. in the Pinstripe Bowl. Ranked the 21st worst bowl this
year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
Glad FS1 is doing well because it's good for the BEast and MU.

But, like a couple others, I can't say I watch much on FS1 when the Warrior Eagles aren't on. I have never watched, nor will I ever watch, any of their scream-fests. And I am fully comfortable saying "never."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »
Does this include people that stream? How is that calculated or tracked?

Cheeks, you obviously know the answer, very bizarre that you're setting yourself up under an alt account like this. Very, very bizarre behavior. Did you give Bryan Colangelo social media advice in the recent past?

feedback