[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Better Believe  (Read 21561 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Better Believe
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
Actually that OT win over Louisville was the game the team actually believed they could win a competitive game. Coming from behind and taking that game into overtime showed that they can be tough especially after that stinker half against Kansas.

MU is 9-2 in OT games in the Wojo era........they lost the first 2 in his first season......and have won 9 in a row since......

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »
MU is 9-2 in OT games in the Wojo era........they lost the first 2 in his first season......and have won 9 in a row since......

That is an impressive stat.

Wojoman

• Walk-On
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »
Sorry about the previously screwed placement of the post.  Will try again.

Well done jsglow!  "That's exactly what the university wanted"  and that's exactly what we have,  along with a talented winning team as a bonus.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
Wow—that’s a pretty wild stat.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
Wow—that’s a pretty wild stat.

Looking forward to Ners telling us how it has nothing to do with coaching! Different players.......different opponents....different venues.....only 1 constant.....

fjm

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2018, 01:13:21 PM »
Come on topper. Really?

The mods on this site are amazing. And everyone has their opinions. But why criticize this thread? Any loss or close win and the fire Wojo talk gets going.

Are we not allowed to say “hey for the last 3 years a constant 15 posters only post and Bitch and complain and talk about how much we suck!” But those of us who have always had faith or atleast more optimistic than not can’t have a positive thread?

Agreed, the whiners are long gone. But when we lose to a solid butler game or something later it’ll be fire Wojo all over again.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »
I'm with Topper. We just got a big win and seem to be in for a special season. I'd rather celebrate with all Marquette fans. Victory is a dish best shared with others.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
Have you ever considered that one of the reasons it took this long is because Wojo has been committed to doing this in a sustainable way with kids the university is proud to have as representatives?  That's exactly what the university wanted.  The days of covered up sexual assaults was OVER.  Even if it meant a long dry spell.  The university recommitted itself to its primary mission over the sugar rush of momentary success.  Buzz had committed to giving the underprivileged a helping hand.  Was that genuine or simply a convenient means to an end?  We will never really know.  Most of those kids were great but some where not.  That was ending big time. And for those who value winning over ALL else and at ANY costs, disappointment was sure to follow.

Yup

It’s almost as if it takes four or five years to do it and do it right, no shortcuts.  Sure, there are ways to cut corners, but I love the way we are doing this.  Damn proud of it.  All it takes is a little patience.

4 to 5 years...

Hmm....A wise man once said this. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »

Laughable? The team got smoked in their first true road game playing in a top 3 toughest place to play in the country.

??? Assembly Hall is the 3rd toughest place to play in the country? Based on what metric? Indiana lost 6 games there last season (including a 21 point loss to Indiana St and a 20 point loss to Purdue - Ft Wayne) and 5 the year before. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2018, 01:50:42 PM »
??? Assembly Hall is the 3rd toughest place to play in the country? Based on what metric? Indiana lost 6 games there last season (including a 21 point loss to Indiana St and a 20 point loss to Purdue - Ft Wayne) and 5 the year before.

Not always about wins, the statement was toughest place to place.  You can win a game on the road and it still be a bear.

SI this year said Assembly Hall 5th toughest in America.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »

Here’s a list of the longest home winning streaks heading into the college basketball season, longest at the top.

South Dakota State
Houston
College of Charleston
Montana
Utah Valley
St. Boneventure
North Carolina A&T
Buffalo
Nebraska

Sorry Lenny, but if you think those are the toughest places to play in America there’s nothing I can say to help you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »
What's laughable is your allegiance to Kansas being the Top team in the country.  Archie Miller no doubt is doing a great job in Year 2 at Indiana, yet he was only able to coach them to a 2-point victory over Northwestern at home, and a 1-point win over Louisville.

Look, I know its been an incredibly long time for you to have some legitimate optimism over Wojo being able to actually get the job done - 4.5 years - yet we are 30 in Pomeroy.  There are guys like Archie at 22 in Year 2, and Buzz at Number 9 at a program that was a true rebuild with not basketball tradition.

Fact is the job turned in thus far has been so mediocre, that the start to this season has us ecstatic because it has been such a slow climb.

Sheesh you’re obsessed with the transitive property! Hilarious. Bet your WIAA HOF head coach was all about talking about how your upcoming opponents beat or lost to someone you had already played by so many points.

Whatever helps you sleep at night Ners. Point is there’s plenty of room for you on the bandwagon. It’d be a good time to hop on in because this team is for real. But you’re too hard headed and try to write off any success to actually sit back and enjoy it. No skin off my back. Pretty entertaining to be honest. You just look dumber and dumber, and scream louder and louder about how smart you are when it comes to basketball. I’ve come to learn that almost anytime someone proclaims how smart they are, they’re usually not very smart. They are, however, always very insecure.

The fact that you’d rather pick the metric we’re ranked lowest in and cry about that rather than admit you were wrong and Wojo has this program right where the slurping band members predicted all along is pretty sad. But that’s alright. You still have VT to root for!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »
Here’s a list of the longest home winning streaks heading into the college basketball season, longest at the top.

South Dakota State
Houston
College of Charleston
Montana
Utah Valley
St. Boneventure
North Carolina A&T
Buffalo
Nebraska

Sorry Lenny, but if you think those are the toughest places to play in America there’s nothing I can say to help you.

Where did I say anything about longest current (or past) home floor winning streaks?

You make stuff up (like Virginia with a 6 point lead = Kansas/Duke with a 20 point lead or Indiana is the third toughest place to play in college basketball) off the top of your head and when you get called on it for the bull that it is you move the goal posts. LOL

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2018, 02:33:13 PM »

Where did I say anything about longest current (or past) home floor winning streaks?

You make stuff up (like Virginia with a 6 point lead = Kansas/Duke with a 20 point lead or Indiana is the third toughest place to play in college basketball) off the top of your head and when you get called on it for the bull that it is you move the goal posts. LOL

Well I kind of figured when you brought up home losses, home winning streaks would be considered. Hmm...

So home losses are how you want to quantify it. But winning streaks don’t matter. So how many games back are we going to go to look at how many home losses a team has had, because all of those teams have 0 home losses for an extended period of time, so...

What goalposts are being moved? I say IU is a top 3 toughest place to go into and win. You say number of home losses is how to quantify that. When I point out the teams who haven’t lost at home in forever you claim that’s not how to quantify it. Who’s shifting the goalposts, again?

LOL indeed.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:38:00 PM by wadesworld »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2018, 02:41:57 PM »
Well I kind of figured when you brought up home losses, home winning streaks would be considered. Hmm...

??? Why?

So, again, what were the FACTS that you based your declaration on? Hmmm... Why not just admit the truth? You pulled a number out of you arse and it sounded good.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »
How about we just say Assembly Hall and s a tough place to play and move on?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
SI ranks Assembly Hall the 5th hardest place to play.

https://amp.si.com/college-basketball/2018/09/20/toughest-arenas-places-play-college-hoops

ESPN ranks it the toughest in the Big 10

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17124583/big-ten-venues-ranked-according-difficulty

Super subjective, obviously, but suggesting IU is a very tough place to play doesn't seem outrageous.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:48:50 PM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2018, 02:53:48 PM »
How about we just say Assembly Hall and s a tough place to play and move on?

Everyone who follows basketball would have stipulated to that. That's nowhere near what Wades said.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »
Everyone who follows basketball would have stipulated to that. That's nowhere near what Wades said.

Arguing the same point forever isn't my idea of a good time.....was just looking for away to move on to other topics without either of you having to admit fault......

Oh well I tried....

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2018, 03:03:01 PM »
Arguing the same point forever isn't my idea of a good time.....was just looking for away to move on to other topics without either of you having to admit fault......

Oh well I tried....

Valiant effort. I like where your head's at.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »

Super subjective, obviously, but suggesting IU is a very tough place to play doesn't seem outrageous.

Who said it was? On the contrary, I think it would be outrageous to suggest that it wasn't a tough place to play. But that isn't anything like what Wades stated.

Would anyone argue, for example, that Michigan St has a very good basketball program? Doubtful. Stating that they have the third best basketball program in the country, though? I don't think so, and I don't think it would be outrageous to ask someone how they came up with what appears to be an illogical number.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »
Who said it was? On the contrary, I think it would be outrageous to suggest that it wasn't a tough place to play. But that isn't anything like what Wades stated.

Would anyone argue, for example, that Michigan St has a very good basketball program? Doubtful. Stating that they have the third best basketball program in the country, though? I don't think so, and I don't think it would be outrageous to ask someone how they came up with what appears to be an illogical number.

Just breathe....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2018, 03:14:28 PM »

Oh well I tried....

They're still arguing the merits of a guy who hasn't coached a game for Marquette in 57 months.
Relative to that, arguing the difficulty of playing at IU is refreshing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »
They're still arguing the merits of a guy who hasn't coached a game for Marquette in 57 months.
Relative to that, arguing the difficulty of playing at IU is refreshing.

I knew Chico had multiple personalities here but I didn't know "Wadesworld" was one of them. This explains everything!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
??? Why?

So, again, what were the FACTS that you based your declaration on? Hmmm... Why not just admit the truth? You pulled a number out of you arse and it sounded good.

The rankings of toughest places to play are FACTUAL?!  Lol!  This is truly unbelievable.

Ask any media person in the country to list the 5 toughest places to play in basketball and Assembly Hall is in just about every one of them, along with Phog Allen and Cameron.  Maybe Rupp is in there as well, so sorry, I should've said top 4.

Please, for my own education, FACTUALLY list the top 3 toughest places in America to play.

PS Good idea to ignore the rest of the post.  You realized who was really shifting goalposts (you) and cut out the other 2/3 of the post.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:01:58 PM by wadesworld »

feedback