Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Better Believe  (Read 21333 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Better Believe
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2018, 07:52:50 AM »
While I was concerned after Indiana and Kansas and pleased after Loserville, K-State, Wisconsin and Buffalo, I haven't yet ordered my tickets for MSP -- yet (and I have a sister in the cities in whose house I can crash for free). I truly hope we get there and that Wojo has turned the corner with this team. But....

We have yet to win a road game. While I'll acknowledge that the BEast is down this year, winning at Providence, New York, Philadelphia, Omaha, Washington, DC, Indianapolis and even Chicago has not been a sure thing for our Warriors in recent years. Until we go out and kick some Hoya, Friar, Johnnie etc backside, Ill be somewhat researved in my judgment. As, frankly, is the national media.

We will win some we don't expect to win and inevitably lose some we aren't expected to lose. People's Exhibit #1 -- DePaul. We've laid a few eggs against them in recent years and they inevitably are up for us. People's Exhibit #2 -- Butler. We're 0 for history at their barn in Indianapolis. And, we haven't always looked good against them in Milwaukee either.

Finally, the national media is down on us because, reading a box score, we're one-dimensional. To some degree, we are. Marcus has had an incredible season so far this year. He's probably going down in the annals of Marquette basketball with Dean Meminger, Butch Lee, Glenn Rivers and DWade as the best of all time. But for us to go deep come March, our team will have to be more balanced. Defenses will find a way to make Marcus' life miserable. That's why I was excited at the first half of Buffalo, when the Hausers came out and took control. Then Marcus got hot.

Look, I'm happy as can be Marcus had the game of his life against Buffalo. Heck we won and we had a team effort in all other phases of the game. But only DWade of the legends group had nights like Marcus consistently. We need to make sure we're not "just letting Marcus do it."

*Markus.  I mean this is his third season.  Spelling his name shouldn't be hard. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2018, 08:21:11 AM »

Yes, you did.  It’s ok, Buzz was a great coach, but he’s gone.  You guys used to get on me for defending TC, the irony as so many of you do the same damn thing with Buzz.  Do you not recognize it?  Seriously, move on.

A Buzz mention from 40 days ago in a totally different thread? Seriously? #Dishonest

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »

*Markus.  I mean this is his third season.  Spelling his name shouldn't be hard.

Must not have been a Journalism major.  ;)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2018, 08:24:53 AM »
dgies,

Agree that is the national perception.  But MU basketball fans see the growth of the team in addition to having a special player in Markus.   That’s what makes this team so dangerous.  Jay Bee was right on the money with his preseason prediction for this team.  The national media will come around shortly.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
It's easy to get caught up in the sprinkles and whip cream of Markus' onslaught Friday night.  After that wears off, what was most important was how well we played during the first 20 minutes while we were getting a full dose of Bad Markus.  Even in the second half, re-watch the game only focusing on Theo.  The man was an absolute junkyard dog.  Twice the man was the first on the floor after a ball.  Wojo specifically mentioned our production from the #5 in his post game presser.

Over the last couple of years we had only one way to win.  Now we have several.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »

Kinda take's the shine off things.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

fjm

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2018, 09:10:30 AM »
Firstly .. clearly, editorially the policy is to allow all things MU.  As for having a "positive" thread .. it did start that way .. but comments about the "chicken littles" and "fire wojo crap" appeared quickly.  That's not positive, that's recrimination from people who have been waiting for the day they could express their greater faith over others.

Touché fair point.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
It's easy to get caught up in the sprinkles and whip cream of Markus' onslaught Friday night.  After that wears off, what was most important was how well we played during the first 20 minutes while we were getting a full dose of Bad Markus.  Even in the second half, re-watch the game only focusing on Theo.  The man was an absolute junkyard dog.  Twice the man was the first on the floor after a ball.  Wojo specifically mentioned our production from the #5 in his post game presser.

I am WAY behind. Went to the game, got hammered after. Hungover next morning and then am on a 4 day 12 hr/day work stretch so I haven’t been able to hit the board as much as I want.

But yes: that stretch in the first half with Howard on the bench was huge! It was encouraging for me and hopefully everyone. Hausers and John and Cain did really well. But JoeC played amazingly during that stretch. Few turnovers and played confidently. Loved it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »
I am WAY behind. Went to the game, got hammered after. Hungover next morning and then am on a 4 day 12 hr/day work stretch so I haven’t been able to hit the board as much as I want.

But yes: that stretch in the first half with Howard on the bench was huge! It was encouraging for me and hopefully everyone. Hausers and John and Cain did really well. But JoeC played amazingly during that stretch. Few turnovers and played confidently. Loved it.

Yep, the contributions of Joseph and Jamal were huge too.  For the first time Friday, I sensed that the vast majority of the team felt their personal niche for the first time. 'THIS' is what I do to help us win. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2018, 10:47:00 AM »

Whole post is right on...bolded especially.  I'm most encouraged by Wisconsin game and what you reference above, because the team has shown itself to be solid enough defensively to compete even when Markus is having a C-game.

The Indiana game is looking more and more like an outlier/anomaly.  I was concerned about Buffalo game, because they are more athletic (albeit undersized) than Wisconsin - yet we didn't look overmatched whatsoever. 

Theo's improvement is a major boon to this team. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »
Agreed on Theo. His improvement has been one of the season's biggest surprises for me. He and Ed are two of the keys to our improved defense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »
This was a finesse/soft team the last 2 years.......not anymore.....Theo and Ed set the tone but everyone is playing with more of an edge.......including Markus, Sam and the rest of the holdovers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
I'm not going back and search but awhile ago I remember saying that I hadn't seen bad@ss shyte like that since the Jae days. 

Big Eddie denying Happ when all the marbles were on the line followed by an unbelievable rebound and put-back followed by 'I got these two free throws for ya Markus'.  Then the next game, Markus is raining 3s on every offensive possession while simultaneously Theo is rejecting practically every shot at the rim when one of UBuff's incredibly quick guards beat us off the dribble.  That's winning basketball right there people. 

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
Whole post is right on...bolded especially.  I'm most encouraged by Wisconsin game and what you reference above, because the team has shown itself to be solid enough defensively to compete even when Markus is having a C-game.

The Indiana game is looking more and more like an outlier/anomaly.  I was concerned about Buffalo game, because they are more athletic (albeit undersized) than Wisconsin - yet we didn't look overmatched whatsoever. 

Theo's improvement is a major boon to this team.

To continue the glow on jsglows original comment. Imagine this team without Markus? Not too bad really. Sure we lose 1 more game...maybe two but Sam, Joey and all would fill some gaps and we would be decent. I think a tourney team and top half of BE.

That exercise was not to discount Markus by any means...the point is we have a lot of weapons. Strength where we need it. Outside shooting. Defense. And coach showing he can organize it.

If Markus twists his ankle, it will be a bad bad day. But I still think we could win any game coming at us here on out....no stretch.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »

Ahh c'mon , it's Christmas Eve! Where's the Scoop Christmas Cheer?

Maybe this is why I went back and earned an MBA. Merry Christmas -- Even to you Brother Sultan of SW Wisconsin. Here's to a NatChamp in our Easter basket!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »
Proposing that us Scoop plebes take over one of the Embassy Suites in Bloomington in early April.  Anyone got connections?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2018, 01:42:38 PM »
A Buzz mention from 40 days ago in a totally different thread? Seriously? #Dishonest

No, more like thorough. I don't think a single thing you said in that post has changed in your opinion, right?

I'd take Buzz over Wojo right now coaching, but Wojo still has time to catch up.

I'll take Wojo for his off the court management, however, and his ability to answer his bosses truthfully.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 01:48:15 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback