[Today at 12:09:51 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: To Whom Do You(tube) Subscribe?  (Read 1075 times)

Benny B

• All American
To Whom Do You(tube) Subscribe?
« on: December 17, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
Once upon a time, before YouTube was invented (cue: ominous cave-dweller music) and fan forums were still but a twinkle shared by the eyes of the Rocky's and Topper's in the world*, those of us fortunate enough to have access to the interwebs at work killed time on two types of websites with regularly updating content: "stupid mind-dumping grounds" and "intellectually mind-f&@kingly hilarious" (respectively, my choices were homestarrunner.com and cockeyed.com).  There were no subscriptions, you simply checked back every week to see if the authors uploaded something new, and if they didn't, you checked back the next week.  Sometimes we'd get an alert on our cell phone in the form of a buddy calling to say there's a new Flash video uploaded [followed by a three-minute lecture on how it's the 2nd day of the month and you're wasting what little I have left of my 30 minutes of monthly airtime left but call me again the second there's a new upload available].

But now all of that has changed... it would seem that everybody and their second cousin's uncle-in-law's former roommate's pot dealer's mother has a channel, provided said mother is between the age of twelve and thirty-eight.  And yes, that has made us lazier, but it's also made us lazier.  And by lazier, I mean, more efficient in our consumption of both meaningless and mind-stimulating content.

So what are your favorite channels (certainly not limited to YouTube) to which you subscribe or have your homepage set or bookmarks marked?  And out of sheer laziness, we're just going to call the two categories dumb and smart.

Mine...

Smart: Mark Rober (YouTube) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY1kMZp36IQSyNx_9h4mpCg
-For those of us who conscientiously decided against a career in engineering because the world doesn't need another mad scientist.

Dumb: Full disclosure, I've got an ulterior motive here and am looking for suggestions on a new one, because the old one just isn't getting it done anymore.

* To their credit, the Dayton Flyers online fan forum predated Scoop by about a decade; however, even today they're still using late-90's Geocities http technology in order to accommodate the majority of their users still on 9600 baud.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: To Whom Do You(tube) Subscribe?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »
CGP Grey

I'm getting into cooking lately, so Basics/Binging with babish

Brett Kollman has good NFL film breakdowns.

I'm kind of obsessed with youtube's 1.25/1.5x video watching. I almost get frustrated watching a video in normal time now.

As well, I found frequently interesting videos at devour.com. Kind of an aggregation of interesting stuff I may not otherwise find.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:00:53 PM by jesmu84 »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
Ed Bassmaster. (Funny)

If you are into live music, there are so many bootlegs on youtube.  Search 'X band' live 'year'.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
Nerdist News, mostly for the highly speculative trailer/fan theory breakdowns by Jessica Chobot.

As a spin off from Nerdist, I follow Because Science

Red vs Blue and Last Week Tonight round out my at all relevant subscriptions.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
V Sauce

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 08:18:53 PM »
JEREMY FRAGRANCE, because smelling nice is a priority in Porky's Life.

https://youtu.be/-cnvorwYPOM