[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Beating Bucky ugly  (Read 28135 times)

jonny09

• Team Captain
Re: Beating Bucky ugly
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2018, 08:15:51 PM »
But he can still find open people when he breaks the defense down.  He is shooting a lower percentage this year because he is taking lower percentage shots.

100 percent agree.  He's got to be better at that

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »
From an excitement standpoint, was this the best MU-UW game since the McGuire era?  I’m hard-pressed to think of a better one. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
Easy the least amount of Badger fans, I've seen in UW/MU game in Milwaukee.

Yet Badger fans and their board seem to think this will be the only “decent” crowd Marquette gets this year  ::)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2018, 08:28:11 PM »
I guess I disagree with most here.

This wasn't an ugly game. It was the way a rivalry game should look. Good at times - rough at other times.

Was great to see Morrow step up the last 10 minutes - he was awful in the 1st half. If end-of-game Ed was the Ed we will see in the BE, we have as good a shot as anyone to win the league.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
Know won rushed da court, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2018, 08:33:40 PM »
One sign of a good team is when you can win in different ways. We won't always be drilling threes from everywhere on the court. Today MU beat the Badgers at their own game: shutting down everyone besides Happ, rebounding on both ends, protecting the ball, and playing with toughness throughout. A big victory, and a well-earned one.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
Wow .. UW shot 50% to our 34%.  And we won somehow.

The graphic shows how .. utterly frigid Markus was. 

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Exactly.   If not Markus, whom?   No one else can get their own shot, nobody else can consistently beat their man off the dribble.

That is a problem, and agree that is the reason he takes so many. We could use a page from the “paint touch” era and get the kick out off dribble penetration by Howard or Anim and get the D spinning til an open look. We seldom move the ball quickly around the perimeter. Still, a great win and huge couple weeks beating Louisville and two top 12 teams. Props to the team and coaches.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2018, 08:59:26 PM »
One sign of a good team is when you can win in different ways. We won't always be drilling threes from everywhere on the court. Today MU beat the Badgers at their own game: shutting down everyone besides Happ, rebounding on both ends, protecting the ball, and playing with toughness throughout. A big victory, and a well-earned one.

You beat me to this post. Nicely stated!

So far this season, my single favorite thing about this team is that we don't have to hit 50% of our 3s to win; we don't need a bunch of lucky bounces to win; we don't need to pray that we can simply outscore our opponents in a 90-88 game to win.

We are much more hard-nosed, much more mentally tough, much MUCH more competitive defensively and on the boards. ''

I mean, F%cky had 3 offensive rebounds all game. THREE!!!!

We could not have won a game like this even last year, with Markus going 1-7 from 3 and no other Warrior really going off. But we have more than one way to beat teams now.

We have defeated 2 top-15 teams and didn't play close to our ceiling offensively in either one.

When the shots start dropping and we smooth a few things out, WE are gonna be the top-15 team. Maybe we already are.

So that's what I'm loving about this team this season.

What I'm loving about this game (aside from the obvious - a big W and lots of solid contributions by several players) is that the unquestioned effen goat is Davison, that cheating, free-throw-bricking, floppin' Douche Canoe! One could make a pretty good argument that he was the single biggest reason F%cky lost, and I love that!

We are Marquette!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:36:17 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2018, 08:59:42 PM »
I didn't see anyone else mention this, but after the game the entire team walked around the edge of the entire court (and occasionally climbed into the stands) to high-five, shake hands, and thank the fans for their support.

Very classy move, and just one more reason that I love these guys.

They did that after UTEP as well. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
You beat me to this post. Nicely stated!

So far this season, my single favorite thing about this team is that we don't have to hit 50% of our 3s to win; we don't need a bunch of lucky bounces to win; we don't need to pray that we can simply outscore our opponents in a 90-88 game to win.

We are much more hard-nosed, much more mentally tough, much MUCH more competitive defensively and on the boards. ''

I mean, F%cky had 3 offensive rebounds all game. THREE!!!!

We could not have won a game like this even last year, with Markus going 1-7 from 3 and Sam scoring 8 points. But we have more than one way to beat teams now.

We have defeated 2 top-15 teams and didn't play close to our ceiling offensively in either one.

When the shots start dropping and we smooth a few things out, WE are gonna be the top-15 team. Maybe we already are.

So that's what I'm loving about this team this season.

What I'm loving about this game (aside from the obvious - a big W and lots of solid contributions by several players) is that the unquestioned effen goat is Davison, that cheating, free-throw-bricking, floppin' Douche Canoe! One could make a pretty good argument that he was the single biggest reason F%cky lost, and I love that!

We are Marquette!!

Amen, Mike. The tougher team won today, no doubt about it. Really feels good to be able to say that!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:52 PM »
Wow .. UW shot 50% to our 34%.  And we won somehow.

The graphic shows how .. utterly frigid Markus was. 

They smoked us in eFG%. We won on the glass and at the stripe. A rarity.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2018, 09:40:16 PM »
They smoked us in eFG%. We won on the glass and at the stripe. A rarity.

A rarity indeed .....
Maybe free throws mattered today !   

Room510

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2018, 09:46:59 PM »
Markus shut down Trice.  Nobody noticing that ?  Nice all around game for Markus.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2018, 09:56:25 PM »
From an excitement standpoint, was this the best MU-UW game since the McGuire era?  I’m hard-pressed to think of a better one.

Yes it was! It comes right after the Maurice Lucas last second prayer that put Al on the scorer's table and the rest of us on the roof.  Ed Morrow's put back and block will be remembered a long time. 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
Yes it was! It comes right after the Maurice Lucas last second prayer that put Al on the scorer's table and the rest of us on the roof.  Ed Morrow's put back and block will be remembered a long time.

If Howard hits that last second shot, this game probably goes down as one of the more memorable regular season wins since Al, just in terms of what it means for the program.  We haven’t had any momentum since Blue left.  Now we do.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2018, 10:16:48 PM »
Joey certainly seems to be able to create his own shot to me.  The move he put on Happ to start the game was an NBA move, and the take he had to start overtime was just as good.  Happ and Reuvers both trying to force him back to the corner, little change of pace dribble, and then beat them both back to the baseline for the reverse.  If we run a few more plays for him, I think we'll see he can get his shot and create matchup nightmares for our opponents.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2018, 10:18:07 PM »
Yet Badger fans and their board seem to think this will be the only “decent” crowd Marquette gets this year  ::)

I've been to the Kohl Center 6-8 times.  That place is an absolute tomb most of the time.  The FF atmosphere is 10x greater than the Kohl Center has ever been - and they know it.  That fanbase is so insecure, all you can do is laugh at them.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
I have a serious man crush on Ed Morrow. What an absolute Beast today

And a Lot more to Come.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »
i was sitting in the student section for my first time (not a student at mu) and the FF was loud and rockin

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2018, 10:45:55 PM »

There were some good, exciting games in between.  They didn't go to OT, but down to the wire.

Three years ago was 57-55 MU win
Both teams ranked in '03 that UW won 63-59
Late 80's MU lost by 5 in a game that went to OT.  I remember MU making a killer turnover with under a minute with the game.  https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/12/03/Wisconsin-63-Marquette-58-OT-Gonzaga-55-UNC-Wilmington-48/5388628664400/
1979, MU lost to UW 57-56

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »
There were some good, exciting games in between.  They didn't go to OT, but down to the wire.

Three years ago was 57-55 MU win
Both teams ranked in '03 that UW won 63-59
Late 80's MU lost by 5 in a game that went to OT.  I remember MU making a killer turnover with under a minute with the game.  https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/12/03/Wisconsin-63-Marquette-58-OT-Gonzaga-55-UNC-Wilmington-48/5388628664400/
1979, MU lost to UW 57-56

With all due respect, no matter how "good" the game might have been, no self-respecting MU fan will consider a loss to Wisconsin to have been "good."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
I don't know that you can say our defense was good when the other team shot the ball at a 50% clip and better than that for much of the game.  We played good defense in spots.

We won primarily because we limited our turnovers (8), we had numerous offensive rebounds, we got to the line a lot (13 more than the Badgers) and they were horrendous at the stripe.

It was ugly in spots but it was a great game to watch.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
I don't know that you can say our defense was good when the other team shot the ball at a 50% clip and better than that for much of the game.  We played good defense in spots.

We won primarily because we limited our turnovers (8), we had numerous offensive rebounds, we got to the line a lot (13 more than the Badgers) and they were horrendous at the stripe.

It was ugly in spots but it was a great game to watch.

I will disagree slightly. The defense overall was solid. Box is skewed a bit, as there were some amazing defensive stands by Marquette that just resulted in lucky baskets. Sometimes the ball just bounces the other way. Really happy with the grit. Our guys played their hearts out today.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2018, 09:07:50 AM »

A huge part of defense is securing the rebound. We limited F%cky to 3 offensive rebounds in 45 minutes. Three! And one of those 3 was a fluke -- two of our guys went for the ball, batted it off each other, and it landed right in Happ's hands for the Xmas-gift putback.

So that's one way in which the defense was good.

F%cky is not easy to defend because they often make opponents work 20, 25, 28 seconds per possession. In general, we made them take difficult shots. Trice led the nation in 3-point shooting; he went only 1-for-6 against us. In what essentially was a 1-possession game, that's freakin' important.

I thought our D was darn good. Not great, not best-ever, but darn good, hard-nosed, make-em-work-for-most-everything D.