[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Is Markus shooting too much?  (Read 6913 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: [Paint Touches] Is Markus shooting too much?
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »
MU can run more sets for Joey/Sam...but Markus needs to find them as well.  Against UW Sam literally had to grab Joey to calm him down as he was pissed at Markus for missing him and taking a tough shot during clutch time.  I'm not convinced Markus will ever be a pg.

I don't think that's what Joey was mad at. He was supposed to set the screen for a pick and pop with Markus. Ed set the screen instead. I think it was a mistake on Ed's part, Markus didn't have a clean pass to Joey.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »
One thing I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned in this article (which was great, btw, nice work) is that Markus' FG% and 3FG% dropped from his freshman year to sophomore year, and both stats are down again this year. He has also started shooting more, again with an increase from freshman year to sophomore year, and then another increase this year. So as he's shot more, he's been worse. And I think a lot of that has to do with shot selection.

I think it's true that he's an elite shooter, but his decision-making (basketball IQ?) is not elite right now. If he continues to take some of the shots he's been consistently taking this year, he's could finish the season with the stats of a very average shooter.

If Joe or Sam or Joey can consistently step up as our third option, then I think we'll see improvement from Markus' stats. If not, we may have a few more duds that could bite us in conference play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
One thing I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned in this article (which was great, btw, nice work) is that Markus' FG% and 3FG% dropped from his freshman year to sophomore year, and both stats are down again this year. He has also started shooting more, again with an increase from freshman year to sophomore year, and then another increase this year. So as he's shot more, he's been worse. And I think a lot of that has to do with shot selection.

I think it's true that he's an elite shooter, but his decision-making (basketball IQ?) is not elite right now. If he continues to take some of the shots he's been consistently taking this year, he's could finish the season with the stats of a very average shooter.

If Joe or Sam or Joey can consistently step up as our third option, then I think we'll see improvement from Markus' stats. If not, we may have a few more duds that could bite us in conference play.

As he has become more and more the focal part of our offense, defenses have forced him to take more and more difficult shots. He often -- very often -- was not our first or even second option as a freshman. Now, the ball is in his hands and he is unquestionably the first option. So defenses key on him, and it's not at all surprising that his shooting percentage has gone down. Not only are the shots he takes more difficult, but he has to work so hard all game long that even when he does get an open look, fatigue might be at least a small factor when he misses those.

On a related subject ...

Some have voiced concerns with Markus taking less-than-optimal shots early in the clock, and I absolutely concur. There is no reason to force up a hand-in-the-face 3 with 20 seconds still on the clock.

However, I do like the fast-break 3s that he and, occasionally, Sam take. Those, and kick-outs from offensive boards, represent the best chances that great shooters will find themselves wide open from 3-point range. Ten years ago, the transition 3 was considered a horrible shot; now, it's pretty much accepted as sound offensive strategy. Especially so with an elite shooter pulling the trigger.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
I don't think that's what Joey was mad at. He was supposed to set the screen for a pick and pop with Markus. Ed set the screen instead. I think it was a mistake on Ed's part, Markus didn't have a clean pass to Joey.

Agreed. Markus was mad and gesturing toward Morrow on that play, as well. Credit for Markus for still getting a decent look on that play. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 09:15:55 AM »
As he has become more and more the focal part of our offense, defenses have forced him to take more and more difficult shots. He often -- very often -- was not our first or even second option as a freshman. Now, the ball is in his hands and he is unquestionably the first option. So defenses key on him, and it's not at all surprising that his shooting percentage has gone down. Not only are the shots he takes more difficult, but he has to work so hard all game long that even when he does get an open look, fatigue might be at least a small factor when he misses those.

I agree with all of this. But I think it all points to reasons why it would help us more if Markus started to be more selective with his shots. He is undoubtedly the top priority for every team's defensive scheme. So when he gets doubled or finds himself a little too deep into the paint without an open look, rather than taking the tough shots he's been intentionally forced into, he could look to pass.

If he can pass up 3-5 of those tough shots he's been in most games, and those become open looks or at least extend possessions, I see nothing but upside. Markus become more efficient, defenses have to be more honest, guys like Joey and Sam get more shots (likely open looks), etc. I see this as part of his progression as a PG that should be a focus for him in conference play. If Markus can improve his shot selection/decision making just a little, I think that could be the unlock our offense needs to be more balanced.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »
I agree with all of this. But I think it all points to reasons why it would help us more if Markus started to be more selective with his shots. He is undoubtedly the top priority for every team's defensive scheme. So when he gets doubled or finds himself a little too deep into the paint without an open look, rather than taking the tough shots he's been intentionally forced into, he could look to pass.

If he can pass up 3-5 of those tough shots he's been in most games, and those become open looks or at least extend possessions, I see nothing but upside. Markus become more efficient, defenses have to be more honest, guys like Joey and Sam get more shots (likely open looks), etc. I see this as part of his progression as a PG that should be a focus for him in conference play. If Markus can improve his shot selection/decision making just a little, I think that could be the unlock our offense needs to be more balanced.

I agree with pretty much everything you say here.

Having said that, Markus simply might not have the court sense/vision to do this. Hopefully, he can develop it, but usually a guy either has it or doesn't have it by the time he gets to Markus' age and experience level.

I am encouraged that Rowsey got better as a PG as his last year unfolded; then again, Rowsey is several years older than Markus.

In the end, Markus is a net positive for our team, even if he never develops this skill. He always will be a shooter, and shooters gotta shoot, so we just might have to live with everything that entails. I know I sure as heck am happy Markus is a Warrior, even if there are occasional frustrations watching him. There probably isn't a single college hoopster who doesn't occasionally frustrate his fans.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

burger

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 10:27:27 AM »
Wrong question.....

Not....Does Markus shoot too much?

Does Markus "force" his shot too much????

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 11:08:54 AM »

Having said that, Markus simply might not have the court sense/vision to do this. Hopefully, he can develop it, but usually a guy either has it or doesn't have it by the time he gets to Markus' age and experience level.

I am encouraged that Rowsey got better as a PG as his last year unfolded; then again, Rowsey is several years older than Markus.

In the end, Markus is a net positive for our team, even if he never develops this skill. He always will be a shooter, and shooters gotta shoot, so we just might have to live with everything that entails. I know I sure as heck am happy Markus is a Warrior, even if there are occasional frustrations watching him. There probably isn't a single college hoopster who doesn't occasionally frustrate his fans.

And to me, this all comes back to what Chartouny's role can be as the year progresses. If he and Markus can have a more even split at the 1, then Markus gets to play his natural role more often, everyone's FG% goes up, and we get better offensively. If this happens, and we can sustain our current defensive output, then I think we're a strong contender for a Big East title this year.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 12:50:12 PM »
And to me, this all comes back to what Chartouny's role can be as the year progresses. If he and Markus can have a more even split at the 1, then Markus gets to play his natural role more often, everyone's FG% goes up, and we get better offensively. If this happens, and we can sustain our current defensive output, then I think we're a strong contender for a Big East title this year.

Agreed. As we are currently built, I don't think Markus is shooting too much. He could improve his shot quality but I think we want him creating and shooting as much as possible. Joey is really the only other player who can go get a shot. Sam and Sacar can if given the correct mismatch.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
Lots of the time when he beats his initial defender he's got to be a more willing passer when help comes or starts to come.  My mild annoyance with him is not the shots he takes as much as it is the open shots that are available elsewhere that we don't get because he shoots or doesn't look for them.  OTOH, some of his turnovers come when he does try to pass after beating the initial defender, so maybe he just has to get better at making that pass.  Usually that turnover pass comes when he's well into the teeth of the defense.  Needs to look sooner as the defense begins their rotation.  2-4 more times against Wisconsin would've done it for me.

I don't like the threes unless they're open and in rhythm with more than 20 seconds on the shot clock, too, but that is usually only a couple times a game at most.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 11:44:22 PM »

Markus simply might not have the court sense/vision to do this. Hopefully, he can develop it, but usually a guy either has it or doesn't have it by the time he gets to Markus' age and experience level.

Yup, the ripe old age of 19.  I mean, doubtful he'll develop ANY more :)

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
Lots of the time when he beats his initial defender he's got to be a more willing passer when help comes or starts to come.  My mild annoyance with him is not the shots he takes as much as it is the open shots that are available elsewhere that we don't get because he shoots or doesn't look for them.  OTOH, some of his turnovers come when he does try to pass after beating the initial defender, so maybe he just has to get better at making that pass.  Usually that turnover pass comes when he's well into the teeth of the defense.  Needs to look sooner as the defense begins their rotation.  2-4 more times against Wisconsin would've done it for me.

One of my favorite plays in the Wisconsin game was when Markus drove deep into the lane, stopped when the help defender came up on him, and then pivoted and passed back out to Sam flashing to the top of the key, who splashed a three.  Would love to see more of that. 

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »
Some have voiced concerns with Markus taking less-than-optimal shots early in the clock, and I absolutely concur. There is no reason to force up a hand-in-the-face 3 with 20 seconds still on the clock.

Because I'm a giant nerd I went through all of Markus' 3Pt misses this year to try and see how many qualified under these conditions (half Court/20+ seconds on clock/Off Dribble).

Of the 61 total misses that were meant to be 3s (3 of them had a foot on the line), 10 would fall into this category. If he cut them out his 3pt% would move up to about 38.5%.

However, while I agree these are suboptimal shots, 3 of them were wide open, so I think he's fine taking any shot any time he's wide open. Still, I am in complete agreement with everyone here who says he shouldn't be taking these types of shots when he's closely guarded, and seeing as it's less than a shot a game, wouldn't affect his usage much, if at all.

If you wanted to make sure at least half the clock was taken up, these quick (15+ seconds left), closely guarded, off the dribble 3s make up 13 of his 61 misses. To Markus' credit, he's only taken 3 or more of this type of shot in a single game once, against KU (and 2 came as heat checks in the first half).

Long story short, Markus is doing a decent job limiting awful shots, but does have a little bit of room to improve.