[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Worst/Best Christmas Songs?  (Read 39090 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Worst/Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
To be fair, Scoop had a real dearth of pro-swastika posts up 'til now.

Scoop is one of the first anti-Nazi sports message boards.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »
Scoop is one of the first anti-Nazi sports message boards.
Totally unfair.  I'm in favor of posters being able to freely express their pro-Nazi sentiments.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »
Straw man. Nobody is suggesting this. And there's loads of great humor out there exploring issues of race and gender.

False.  This is not a straw man because many people are not just discussing the merits and meaning of the song, they are actively agreeing it should not be played.  They are also taking offense at jokes that are years or decades old and throwing them back at the purveyors of those jokes as if it is some new offense rather than within the context of their time.

So, what you're doing here is deeming that your judgment of what's offensive (rap songs about rape) and not (Baby it's Cold Outside) should be the standard everyone else should live by. What makes you the arbiter?
Here's a crazy thought .... how about letting people set their own standards for what they find offensive or not offensive? You think "Baby it's Cold Outside" is a cute song about flirtation or a subtle treatise on a woman taking agency? Cool. Play it to your heart's content. But stop telling others that they can't interpret it another way.

And can you guys stop with the false narrative here not being allowed to play the song (or tel a joke, etc.)?  Nobody is demanding censorship or calling for record burnings. No radio station is pulling it from the rotation except by its own volition.
People are having a conversation about it. God forbid.

Isn't this what we're doing?  Having a conversation about it?   My point of view is that the commentary of "Baby It's Cold Outside" being a part of rape culture is absurd.  As you say, I'm only giving my point of view, not forcing anyone to listen to it. 

While many of us here are stating our thoughts on the song and disappointment that it is being pulled from radio stations, those who dislike the song are actively trying to prevent others from being able to hear it on the radio.   Who's side is the extreme one here?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
     Baby It’s Cold Outside

not sure this is really a Christmas song, but one of the corniest i've heard.  read the full lyrics and it seems like the dude's(i guess he's a respected song writer) had a few too many eggnogs or maybe just 'nogs. 

also, we can't keep taking things out of context-the 1940's ain't 2018.  as we had in an earlier thread, certain words that were acceptable "in their day" could get the chit knocked outta ya today.  try asking someone if they wanna smoke a "cute one"

" cute one, a division of the Schaeffler Group. Cigarette, known as a cute one in colloquial British "
don't...don't don't don't don't

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2018, 10:50:20 PM »
Yeah, because most Japanese are walking around sporting the Manji these days. 

(You still need to bone up on your Webster’s, but I am quite impressed with your Wikipedia skillz, however.)
This has got to be one of the top 5 greatest Scoop 'Owns' ever....

- playful banter for a couple of posts?  Check
- antagonizes for a few pages?  Check
- set trap for 'intellectual high ground'? Check
- disarms with a single line of reality?  Check Mate

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »
False.  This is not a straw man because many people are not just discussing the merits and meaning of the song, they are actively agreeing it should not be played.  They are also taking offense at jokes that are years or decades old and throwing them back at the purveyors of those jokes as if it is some new offense rather than within the context of their time.

Great. But this isn't at all what you wrote.
You wrote: "We should not shed our ability to use humor and pop culture in bridging the gap between disparate groups."
Again, nobody is doing this or suggesting it should be done. In fact, there's tons of great comedy and pop culture out there that addresses issues like race, gender, etc.

While many of us here are stating our thoughts on the song and disappointment that it is being pulled from radio stations, those who dislike the song are actively trying to prevent others from being able to hear it on the radio.   Who's side is the extreme one here?

Who's doing this? Some radio stations are choosing not to play it. That's their right as a business. Nobody is stopping you from listening to it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:51:35 AM by Pakuni »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »

Isn't this what we're doing?  Having a conversation about it?   My point of view is that the commentary of "Baby It's Cold Outside" being a part of rape culture is absurd.  As you say, I'm only giving my point of view, not forcing anyone to listen to it. 

My feelings, too. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »

Who's doing this? Some radio stations are choosing not to play it. That's their right as a business. Nobody is stopping you from listening to it.

There are still people in this country, quite a few actually, that don't know how spotify works, don't have an internet connection, to old to figure that stuff out, that listen to the radio or watch TV with an antenna. 
— Plato

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »
There are still people in this country, quite a few actually, that don't know how spotify works, don't have an internet connection, to old to figure that stuff out, that listen to the radio or watch TV with an antenna. 

So what are you saying? That if someone, somewhere wants to listen to a particular song that a radio station should play it?

I mean, it is their choice what music they decide to play right?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
So what are you saying? That if someone, somewhere wants to listen to a particular song that a radio station should play it?

I mean, it is their choice what music they decide to play right?

Not saying that.  I am saying, however, that there are people out there that rely on information, entertainment, news from a source they do not control.  It is perfectly within the radio station's right not to play it.  Also perfectly within the rights for normal Americans to raise a fit, call the radio station and no longer listen to that radio station to harm their advertising streams.
— Plato

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
Not saying that.  I am saying, however, that there are people out there that rely on information, entertainment, news from a source they do not control.  It is perfectly within the radio station's right not to play it.  Also perfectly within the rights for normal Americans to raise a fit, call the radio station and no longer listen to that radio station to harm their advertising streams.

Was anyone suggesting otherwise?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
       what's weird is, there are so many songs that radio stations just won't play period.  but when they play one a few times and stop due to 3 people being offended, it makes all the news.  curious how many other songs this happens to and no one really pays attention nor cares. 

what's next?   a station has to play a certain song if someone calls and if you don't play such and such song, you must be a fill in the blank phobe, biggot, misogynist, or whatever the flavor of the day is?
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
Lost in all of this debate is the celebration of Christ's birth.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2018, 12:18:55 PM »
       what's weird is, there are so many songs that radio stations just won't play period.  but when they play one a few times and stop due to 3 people being offended, it makes all the news.  curious how many other songs this happens to and no one really pays attention nor cares. 

what's next?   a station has to play a certain song if someone calls and if you don't play such and such song, you must be a fill in the blank phobe, biggot, misogynist, or whatever the flavor of the day is?

Huh?  I’m not sure what point you are trying to make here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »

This isn't new.    Remember when that angry mom protested 'Married with Children'?   Tipper Gore and her crusade?    People get offended.    Always have.    Standards evolve.    Always have.    Lucy and Ricky had twin beds.       Constant tension.    What puzzles me is why we aren't trying to become better.      Why we aren't trying to be kinder or gentler.    More Christ-like.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »

I love this idea. I'm going to use it when I call every radio station in Milwaukee demanding they play "F*** Christmas" by Fear.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
I love this idea. I'm going to use it when I call every radio station in Milwaukee demanding they play "F*** Christmas" by Fear.

I love living in the city is the only fear song still worth listening to. Though given that Flea was in Fear some radio station would probably do it as a night of showing where mainstream artists came from
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
I love living in the city is the only fear song still worth listening to. Though given that Flea was in Fear some radio station would probably do it as a night of showing where mainstream artists came from

I was strictly looking at it from the explitive in a Christmas song seasonal aspect. 51 other weeks of the year I'd lean towards Dead Kennedys' Nazi Punks... as my request.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »
Bite your tongue. "Let's Have a War" and "I Don't Care About You" are SoCal punk classics.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »
I was strictly looking at it from the explitive in a Christmas song seasonal aspect. 51 other weeks of the year I'd lean towards Dead Kennedys' Nazi Punks... as my request.

Fair enough. I'd lean a bit less hardcore and ask for some naked raygun the other 51 weeks.

Bite your tongue. "Let's Have a War" and "I Don't Care About You" are SoCal punk classics.

Touché, I have that album on vinyl I'll need to dust it off when I'm home for the holidays because clearly I've forgotten some of it
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »
The only Christmas album I own.

IMG-20181216-163312" border="0
But I like to throw handfuls...

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »

Appearing in a nativity scene any day now in the public square.   ;)
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2018, 08:17:39 PM »
Curse the darkness, light a candle.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2018, 10:04:09 PM »
Baby It’s Cold outside #2 digital song download, #10 overall download.

As my darling wife said, good frisky fun.

I love that woman!!
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »

Jewish boy makes good!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson