[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Worst/Best Christmas Songs?  (Read 39070 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Worst/Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2018, 05:59:06 PM »
Same ting wich Mommy Kissin Santa Claus.

That fat f%ck gets a lot of action.  Plus he's got the old lady back waiting for the north pole, aina.

Atta boi, kin. Kan wee say boi heer witout pissin' sumwon off, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2018, 09:06:18 PM »
Watched a little of the SNL Christmas special (clips from old shows) tonite. I guess I should have felt guilty laughing at "Christmastime for the Jews" and "My Dick in a Box". I didn't.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2018, 12:12:44 AM »
Watched a little of the SNL Christmas special (clips from old shows) tonite. I guess I should have felt guilty laughing at "Christmastime for the Jews" and "My Dick in a Box". I didn't.

Don’t forget Schweddy Balls
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
Don’t forget Schweddy Balls

Don't confuse satire for sincerity. Baby its cold outside is not parody, its sincere....huge difference
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »
Don't confuse satire for sincerity. Baby its cold outside is not parody, its sincere....huge difference

Someone, somewhere is always outraged by something. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »
As I have stated before...who is more annoying?  The outraged, or those who are outraged to the outraged.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »
As I have stated before...who is more annoying?  The outraged, or those who are outraged to the outraged.

meh - seems like everyone wants to fight -- particularly this scoop group, this week

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2018, 10:45:55 AM »

We have no sense of humor in this nation anymore.  Self deprication is gone, as well as our ability to laugh without fear of upsetting someone, somewhere about something.  Not good, in my opinion.

I had to deal with this one a few years ago. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sdut-painfully-awkward-rob-lowe-shy-bladders-2014nov05-htmlstory.html

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »
We have no sense of humor in this nation anymore.  Self deprication is gone, as well as our ability to laugh without fear of upsetting someone, somewhere about something.  Not good, in my opinion.

I had to deal with this one a few years ago. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sdut-painfully-awkward-rob-lowe-shy-bladders-2014nov05-htmlstory.html
True.  Several years back, I was coming home from Singapore on a business trip, maybe 9 3/4 years after my passport was issued.  Think I had a layover in Japan and then flew direct from there, but I could be mistaken.  Anyway, when I got to customs at JFK, the guy looked at me, looked at the passport, looked at me, looked at the passport, looked at me, looked at the passport and finally said, "Wow, rough 10 years," with total deadpan face.

I thought it was pretty funny and had a good laugh.  When I tell people that story now they assume I must've gotten angry and had some choice words for the guy. 

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »
Variety did a very good write up on "Baby It's Cold outside" regarding it's history, how it foreshadowed a feminist awakening, and how women took power over their own sexual decisions from an overly oppressive society.  Not to mention that the story line was never about the woman leaving... she was always going to stay. 

Yes, you can argue the words sound in the third person as if maybe the man is putting too much pressure on the woman, but since we're granted the 4th person view, we know from the original song writers that she wanted to stay and was being fun/flirty.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/baby-its-cold-outside-song-war-1203080834/

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »
OH!

And O'holy Night (Manheim Steamroller) and Carol of the Bells (Lindsey Stirling) are the best!    Really like the Lindsey Stirling version of Carol of the Bells, finally heard it for the first time the other day.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »

When people trot out this tired (and provably false) complaint, what they're usually saying is "it's not fair that people will criticize me to telling mean-spirited racist/sexist/ethnic/ablist jokes."
And they're also displaying themselves as oafs trapped in middle school because for them sense of humor = mocking others they view as inferior.

No, excuse me while I go not laugh at some totally unfunny episodes of "Always Sunny" and "Bojack Horseman."

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
When people trot out this tired (and provably false) complaint, what they're usually saying is "it's not fair that people will criticize me to telling mean-spirited racist/sexist/ethnic/ablist jokes."
And they're also displaying themselves as oafs trapped in middle school because for them sense of humor = mocking others they view as inferior.

No, excuse me while I go not laugh at some totally unfunny episodes of "Always Sunny" and "Bojack Horseman."

I beg to differ on this.   In true racist/sexist/ethnic/ablist societies, humor is often the only way to express thoughts about such topics and to break down the barriers of racism/sexism/ethnicity.  So it can be a tool of hatred but it can be a tool of communication and embracing differences as well.  It's only as the society moves towards a post racist/sexist/ethnic/ablist one that people look back and often decries that humor as racist/sexist/ethnic/ablist.  If anything, this proves we've come far as a society and even if a new balance needs to be found, we should not shed our ability to use humor and pop culture in bridging the gap between disparate groups.   

That balance is obviously key though.     Rap songs about rape, too far.  Baby it's Cold Outside?   I think we will survive if radio stations continue to play it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »
True.  Several years back, I was coming home from Singapore on a business trip, maybe 9 3/4 years after my passport was issued.  Think I had a layover in Japan and then flew direct from there, but I could be mistaken.  Anyway, when I got to customs at JFK, the guy looked at me, looked at the passport, looked at me, looked at the passport, looked at me, looked at the passport and finally said, "Wow, rough 10 years," with total deadpan face.

I thought it was pretty funny and had a good laugh.  When I tell people that story now they assume I must've gotten angry and had some choice words for the guy.

Good on you to Play along and go with it.  That says a lot about you in a good way!!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »

Ask some comedians of the last two weeks, four come to mind, how they feel about this.  Jerry Seinfeld’s opinion (a fifth) is also pretty good.  Honestly, i’m Going with their opinion on the comedy situation... no offense.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2018, 03:35:23 PM »

Right?  I mean, really... WTF is up with the last two seasons of Bojack?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2018, 04:44:25 PM »
I'm not going to read 7 pages but just want to make sure everyone knows about the new lil jon xmas classic in case it hasn't been brought up.  You're welcome.

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/lil-jon-gets-into-the-holiday-spirit-on-all-i-really-want-for-christmas-new-song.1981425.html

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »
I'm not going to read 7 pages but just want to make sure everyone knows about the new lil jon xmas classic in case it hasn't been brought up.  You're welcome.

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/lil-jon-gets-into-the-holiday-spirit-on-all-i-really-want-for-christmas-new-song.1981425.html

I wonder if Dave Chappelle gets a cut of everything Lil Jon makes now.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »
The fact it was appropriated is moot, the material component is that the swastika is symbolic of something with which no sane-minded individual should desire to associate.

Typical ignorant white guy.

That ideograph is an ancient and sacred symbol within Japanese Buddhism. The Manji represents the intersect of heaven and earth as well as light and dark.

In one form the Manji symbolizes strength and intellect while in the other depicts infinite mercy. The Manji is central to Zen.

Only a crude, obtuse Philistine from the American Middle West could be so uncouth. In fact, I would say such a person is little more than an insufferable, insensitive racist since that symbol is a powerful construct in the Japanese cultural belief system.

To state that no sane-minded individual should ever desire to associate with such a symbol epitomizes the intolerance, callowness, and sciolism of a close-minded, ill-informed Caucasian.

Well done. Racist. 
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2018, 10:44:17 PM »
So..... Deck the Halls anyone?  I saw three ships?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2018, 09:20:06 AM »
I beg to differ on this.   In true racist/sexist/ethnic/ablist societies, humor is often the only way to express thoughts about such topics and to break down the barriers of racism/sexism/ethnicity.  So it can be a tool of hatred but it can be a tool of communication and embracing differences as well.  It's only as the society moves towards a post racist/sexist/ethnic/ablist one that people look back and often decries that humor as racist/sexist/ethnic/ablist.  If anything, this proves we've come far as a society and even if a new balance needs to be found, we should not shed our ability to use humor and pop culture in bridging the gap between disparate groups.   

That balance is obviously key though.     Rap songs about rape, too far.  Baby it's Cold Outside?   I think we will survive if radio stations continue to play it.

+1000

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »

Straw man. Nobody is suggesting this. And there's loads of great humor out there exploring issues of race and gender.

That balance is obviously key though.    Rap songs about rape, too far.  Baby it's Cold Outside?   I think we will survive if radio stations continue to play it.

So, what you're doing here is deeming that your judgment of what's offensive (rap songs about rape) and not (Baby it's Cold Outside) should be the standard everyone else should live by. What makes you the arbiter?
Here's a crazy thought .... how about letting people set their own standards for what they find offensive or not offensive? You think "Baby it's Cold Outside" is a cute song about flirtation or a subtle treatise on a woman taking agency? Cool. Play it to your heart's content. But stop telling others that they can't interpret it another way.

And can you guys stop with the false narrative here not being allowed to play the song (or tel a joke, etc.)?  Nobody is demanding censorship or calling for record burnings. No radio station is pulling it from the rotation except by its own volition.
People are having a conversation about it. God forbid.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
Typical ignorant white guy.

That ideograph is an ancient and sacred symbol within Japanese Buddhism. The Manji represents the intersect of heaven and earth as well as light and dark.

In one form the Manji symbolizes strength and intellect while in the other depicts infinite mercy. The Manji is central to Zen.

Only a crude, obtuse Philistine from the American Middle West could be so uncouth. In fact, I would say such a person is little more than an insufferable, insensitive racist since that symbol is a powerful construct in the Japanese cultural belief system.

To state that no sane-minded individual should ever desire to associate with such a symbol epitomizes the intolerance, callowness, and sciolism of a close-minded, ill-informed Caucasian.

Well done. Racist.

Yeah, because most Japanese are walking around sporting the Manji these days. 

(You still need to bone up on your Webster’s, but I am quite impressed with your Wikipedia skillz, however.)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
The Rebel Jesus, Jackson Browne.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2018, 11:37:54 AM »
Yeah, because most Japanese are walking around sporting the Manji these days. 

(You still need to bone up on your Webster’s, but I am quite impressed with your Wikipedia skillz, however.)

To be fair, Scoop had a real dearth of pro-swastika posts up 'til now.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback