[Today at 06:09:54 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: USA Gymnastics declares bankruptcy  (Read 1833 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: USA Gymnastics declares bankruptcy
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
Pretty standard move.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:40:11 PM »
Standard CYA.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »
Smart financial move or scummy cover-up?

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicks/usa-gymnastics-files-for-bankruptcy-an-action-that-stops-the-process-of-uncovering-who-was-complicit-with-larry-nassars-behavior
Your style of throwing up a weird question without a stated position is tiresome and weak. This speeds financial restitution to victims and protects services for athletes currently in USGA.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
Your style of throwing up a weird question without a stated position is tiresome and weak. This speeds financial restitution to victims and protects services for athletes currently in USGA.

If you are gonna attack someone, you should try honesty in your attack.

Besides what you say in the final sentence, it also suspends all lawsuits by Nassar survivors and their ongoing efforts to discover the truth about who at USA Gymnastics and the US Olympic Committee knew about Nassar’s criminal conduct and failed to stop it.

I realize that doesn't fit your response, but is is much more honest.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 05:46:14 AM »
If you are gonna attack someone, you should try honesty in your attack.

Besides what you say in the final sentence, it also suspends all lawsuits by Nassar survivors and their ongoing efforts to discover the truth about who at USA Gymnastics and the US Olympic Committee knew about Nassar’s criminal conduct and failed to stop it.

I realize that doesn't fit your response, but is is much more honest.
My reading comprehension must be off. All settlements will be paid by insurance, which is a process which is sped up by bankruptcy.

Suspends additional lawsuits, correct.

These are civil suits, the goal of which are to get financial payments. The bankruptcy speeds up these payments.

From the article:

It’s estimated the potential payout for the victims could be anywhere between $75- $150 million, but even though the payouts are covered by USA Gymnastics’ insurance, filing for bankruptcy would speed the process up.

No criminal investigation is affected by this action.

Did I miss anything? Please quote the dishonesty you saw in my original post?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 11:20:54 AM »
Did I miss anything? Please quote the dishonesty you saw in my original post?

OP simply asked whether it's smart or scummy and provided a link.  You responded with "Your style of throwing up a weird question without a stated position is tiresome and weak."

Sounds to me like you jumped to a conclusion by conceding you had no basis for doing so.  You may call it ironic, others may call it dishonest... it simply depends on your perspective, much in the same way as one's determination of smart or scummy.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
Pretty standard stuff....Boy Scouts of America is considering the same move:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/boy-scouts-possible-bankruptcy/index.html

Gotta say, institutions are gonna need to figure this all out. My BSA experience was outstanding and foundational to who I am as a person but this among other things they are doing at the national level has had me walk away from the organization and consider not letting my son join (where he could be a 4th generation Eagle Scout). I think the only way large institutions figure this out is by giving them the proverbial death penalty when they act this way.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
Pretty standard stuff....Boy Scouts of America is considering the same move:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/boy-scouts-possible-bankruptcy/index.html

Gotta say, institutions are gonna need to figure this all out. My BSA experience was outstanding and foundational to who I am as a person but this among other things they are doing at the national level has had me walk away from the organization and consider not letting my son join (where he could be a 4th generation Eagle Scout). I think the only way large institutions figure this out is by giving them the proverbial death penalty when they act this way.

Somewhat ironic considering for years that they wouldn't allow for homosexual members, and one of the stated reasons was due to concerns over "inappropriate conduct."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »

Somewhat ironic considering for years that they wouldn't allow for homosexual members, and one of the stated reasons was due to concerns over "inappropriate conduct."

Turns out the higher you go on your moral high horse the much more likely you are to fall off.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback