[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UTEP thoughts  (Read 19315 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: UTEP thoughts
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 10:34:33 PM »
There are 2 sides of the court.  Even if Chartouney doesn't play the point he can still add value by playing defense.

Not to mention, when teams have put on real pressure in the backcourt on our ball handlers while both Markus and Joe are in the game, Joe is the one who handles the ball.  When it's just token pressure or no back court pressure it's been Markus.  Maybe Wojo wants Markus in the pick and roll or wants to try to get a missmatch with the dribble handoff for Markus.  If that's the case, why waste the time of having Joe bring the ball up when there's no threat of anybody turning it over in the backcourt anyways, have to get the ball to Markus when the defense can now deny Markus the ball, and waste extra time doing all that on the shot clock?

Joe still had 4 assists and is averaging about 4 assists on the season.  He's contributing plenty whether he's bringing the ball up the court or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
Chartouney is to slow to beat anyone off the dribble. that's why he waits for the catch and shoot. Markus may be the best guy that can beat his man off the dribble. Honestly Chartouney isn't that good. Have not seen anything that's really gonnna benefit the team consistently

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »
Chartouney is to slow to beat anyone off the dribble. that's why he waits for the catch and shoot. Markus may be the best guy that can beat his man off the dribble. Honestly Chartouney isn't that good. Have not seen anything that's really gonnna benefit the team consistently

Then you haven't been watching.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »

Hate to say it, but I agree for the most part. If we swap him for Jamal or Sacar or Brendan, we can make up for his defense and probably end up with better offensive output. It seems like everyone except for Markus and Joey are still having a hard time figuring out exactly what their role is supposed to be, so hopefully Joe and others are able to figure it out by conference play.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 10:45:03 PM »
Chartouney’s usage is really starting to confuse me. If he’s going to be on the floor at the same time as Markus, but not handle the ball, then what purpose does he really serve? Couple of times tonight where Markus created a wide open 3 that he bricked. Why not get Markus off the ball to catch and shoot?

It if baffling, yet not surprising.  We've seen questionable usage and decision-making as to how the personnel are used under Wojo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
It if baffling, yet not surprising.  We've seen questionable usage and decision-making as to how the personnel are used under Wojo.

I thought you would have been stoked that Cain got to play through several mistakes tonight.
TAMU

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 10:50:29 PM »
Minutes were not what I would have expected tonight. It could be because Wojo wanted to avoid the dreaded trap game, but after hearing his post-game interview, it seems like it could be because he was frustrated with the results of guys coming off the bench.

One thing I'd really like to see from this group is to find a way to succeed when Markus isn't playing lights out. Last year we could rely on Sam, but he's off to a slower start than expected and doesn't seem to have the same confidence he's had the last two years. Joey is proving to be a reliable option, and we're seeing improvement from guys in the post too. But the team just seems to function so differently when Markus isn't on the floor or isn't on his game. The talent seems to be there, but the chemistry isn't yet.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 10:52:16 PM »
I thought you would have been stoked that Cain got to play through several mistakes tonight.

Did he? I thought I only saw maybe 3 minutes from him tonight. And only one TO I can think of.

jnolan23

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 10:58:24 PM »
There are 2 sides of the court.  Even if Chartouney doesn't play the point he can still add value by playing defense.

Not to mention, when teams have put on real pressure in the backcourt on our ball handlers while both Markus and Joe are in the game, Joe is the one who handles the ball.  When it's just token pressure or no back court pressure it's been Markus.  Maybe Wojo wants Markus in the pick and roll or wants to try to get a missmatch with the dribble handoff for Markus.  If that's the case, why waste the time of having Joe bring the ball up when there's no threat of anybody turning it over in the backcourt anyways, have to get the ball to Markus when the defense can now deny Markus the ball, and waste extra time doing all that on the shot clock?

Joe still had 4 assists and is averaging about 4 assists on the season.  He's contributing plenty whether he's bringing the ball up the court or not.

I agree that Chartouny brings some positive elements to the floor on both ends, and he’s going to need to play (and play well) if this team is going to be as good as we hoped.

Since Markus is going to be ball dominant anytime Chartouny is off the floor it would just be nice to get more opportunities for Markus at the 2. Think it would help change up the flow offensively and create some step-in looks for him on nights like tonight where the whole team is struggling from deep.

Saw it one time tonight and Markus buried a corner 3.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2018, 10:58:51 PM »

Worst post in a good long time.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 11:00:32 PM »
Worst post in a good long time.
Yeah and multiple people agree with said post sooo.. maybe not buddy

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 11:01:29 PM »
Why do we even respond to that Johnny B dude... his posts are useless and just to make you mad

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:31 PM »
Did he? I thought I only saw maybe 3 minutes from him tonight. And only one TO I can think of.

He didn't play very long but he came in and immediately lost his assignment and gave up an open three. Blew another assignment on the next defensive possession but the shot was missed. Made it to the official TV timeout and I thought for sure he was gonna be gone for the game but Wojo sent him back out there. The steal and dribble through the legs was real nice. I didn't have a good angle where I was sitting but it looked like the pass he made was the right idea, just couldn't get it through.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »
Yeah and multiple people agree with said post sooo.. maybe not buddy

Who?
TAMU

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 11:07:09 PM »
Why do we even respond to that Johnny B dude... his posts are useless and just to make you mad
What in the world are you talking about? My point is perfectly fair. I didn't say he was bad or bench the guy. Just said he isn't that great and hugely effective the game in a good or bad way. Why get mad? Hes slow, not a great shooter, and has disappeared in big games. Don't get why its such a crazy conviction to have. strange..

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 11:08:04 PM »
What in the world are you talking about? My point is perfectly fair. I didn't say he was bad or bench the guy. Just said he isn't that great and hugely effective the game in a good or bad way. Why get mad? Hes slow, not a great shooter, and has disappeared in big games. Don't get why its such a crazy conviction to have. strange..
i wasnt talking about just one post.. all your posts are to make mu fans mad

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 11:12:39 PM »
i wasnt talking about just one post.. all your posts are to make mu fans mad
Vast majority of my posts over the years have been harmless anyalisis. Out of shear boredom, i have made a few "troll" posts but i mean its not that big of a deal. i am a student at MU so not like i hate the team. the opposite actually.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 11:17:18 PM »
This feels like a preseason game where the team shows vanilla offense before a major real game. 

Win and move on.  Let’s get Saturday.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
We’re ready for Wisconsin!

Markus, Joey, sacar, Theo, Matt and Ed are all set.

Sam looks like he is still getting his legs back in his shot from the injury but he will be fine.

Bailey, Joe C and Cain would like to see them have a game.

Like to see them win going away!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2018, 11:22:34 PM »
11. No tribute for former UTEP head coach and MU assistant JASON RABEDEAUX? Missed opportunity.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2018, 11:29:06 PM »
We’re ready for Wisconsin!

Markus, Joey, sacar, Theo, Matt and Ed are all set.

Sam looks like he is still getting his legs back in his shot from the injury but he will be fine.

Bailey, Joe C and Cain would like to see them have a game.

Like to see them win going away!

Matt did a nice job on Happ last year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get more court time Saturday. Hope the team plays well and beats those mfers. Think Sam will have a good game and hit 5+ 3s.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »
This feels like a preseason game where the team shows vanilla offense before a major real game. 

What is this, a football game? Vanilla offense? We ran the same offense we always run - I don't expect any "trick plays" (flea flicker, fumbleruski, fake punts, end arounds, etc.) on Saturday. LOL, where do you get this stuff?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2018, 11:48:45 PM »
9.   Cain has no confidence.   Maybe he misses his buddy GE on the floor.   On that second 3, he dodged under a moving screen and could only watch as Lathon hit a 3.  Bad luck.
That's my thought on Cain right now. He has flow with GE, but can't get in rhythm with the rest of the team - most nights lately.  Hope he gets over the hump.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2018, 12:07:20 AM »
Really oddly terrible shooting night. Countless wide open shots didn't fall from behind the arc. I think the two most shocking parts of it were:

1. Chartouny is a much worse 3 point shooter than I expected. He doesnt appear to have a repeatable jumper from there. 0-4 was rough tonight. Maybe I am just off in my expectations here--I just figured getting space would allow for a better result (yes, I realize his 3PM% is better than it has been in his career, but that is skewed by the Charleston So game).

2. Sam has lost the consistency he had last year. The volume has gone up, but the 3PM hasn't really. Seeing an 0-6 from 3PT tonight was absolutely shocking. He shoots his average and this is a laugher.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback