Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What did I just witness????  (Read 12357 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: What did I just witness????
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »
I know. You made a rather innocuous post. MUVOL however took it to a whole new level, and went out of his way to turn this into an MU vs. UT debate for whatever reason.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »
The game will be part of the Big East/SEC challenge and the information was released back in November.

Thanks, I must have let that slip through the cracks.

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2008, 04:30:27 PM »
I know. You made a rather innocuous post. MUVOL however took it to a whole new level, and went out of his way to turn this into an MU vs. UT debate for whatever reason.

well he obviously has ties to both MU and UT because I believe he said that he was an alum of UT -- so maybe he at one time lived in Wisconsin and now lives in Tennessee???or maybe he moved to Wisconsin from Tenn?????   Who knows.....although it was kind of a spirited conversation for awhile .....

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »
He may have lived in Milwaukee but I strongly suspect he has ties to Shorewood State and not Marquette. If the guy didn't post so quickly after the UT/UK game last night, I would have guessed MUVOL06 was none other than Bruce Pearl himself.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »
Yea, this whole thread was weird.

On a somewhat related note:

Has anybody ever tracked the average number of posts after a win vs. after a loss?

After the couple of big wins, the board seems silent... but after a loss is seems like everybody comes out of the woodwork.

Is that the state of fans today? Are they just looking to gripe?

I love some of the critical insight offered here, but the gripes (especially after losses) are just too much sometimes.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:58 PM »
Has anybody ever tracked the average number of posts after a win vs. after a loss?

Well, the good news is that the site tracks it for us here:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=stats

I'll just recap some of the big games (and the day after too...) for a total of 4 wins and 4 losses.

Duke - lose
Nov 21 -  248 new posts
Nov 22 - 71 new posts

Wiscy - win
Dec 8 - 210
Dec 9 - 179

Prov - win
Jan 3 - 165
Jan 4 - 180

WV - loss
Jan 6 - 208
Jan 7 - 162

Seton Hall - "bad" win
Jan 8 - 246
Jan 9 - 314

ND - win
Jan 12 - 147
Jan 13 - 113

Louisville - loss
Jan 17 - 245
Jan 18 - 168

UConn - loss
Jan 20 - 237
Jan 21 - 204

So...when we lose, we average 234.5 posts the day of the loss and 151.25 the day after.

When we win, we average 192 posts the day of the win and 196.5 posts the day after.

Now, the Seton Hall game seems a bit off, because we won but most people weren't that happy about the way we won.  If I conveniently remove that game from the equation...

We average 174 posts the day of the win and  157.3 posts the day after.

So...it appears that when we lose, there are significantly more posts the actual day of the loss, but if we win, there are slightly more posts the day after the win.

Ok...I'll let some real statistics person do more number crunching form there....

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »

Well, the good news is that the site tracks it for us here:
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=stats

I'll just recap some of the big games (and the day after too...) for a total of 4 wins and 4 losses.

Duke - lose
Nov 21 -  248 new posts
Nov 22 - 71 new posts

Wiscy - win
Dec 8 - 210
Dec 9 - 179

Prov - win
Jan 3 - 165
Jan 4 - 180

WV - loss
Jan 6 - 208
Jan 7 - 162

Seton Hall - "bad" win
Jan 8 - 246
Jan 9 - 314

ND - win
Jan 12 - 147
Jan 13 - 113

Louisville - loss
Jan 17 - 245
Jan 18 - 168

UConn - loss
Jan 20 - 237
Jan 21 - 204

So...when we lose, we average 234.5 posts the day of the loss and 151.25 the day after.

When we win, we average 192 posts the day of the win and 196.5 posts the day after.

Now, the Seton Hall game seems a bit off, because we won but most people weren't that happy about the way we won.  If I conveniently remove that game from the equation...

We average 174 posts the day of the win and  157.3 posts the day after.

So...it appears that when we lose, there are significantly more posts the actual day of the loss, but if we win, there are slightly more posts the day after the win.

Ok...I'll let some real statistics person do more number crunching form there....

Wow. Those are some fast results. Thanks!

As far as analysis... H. Sugar... paging... H. Sugar (kidding, but he does run the best stats around).

Another interesting way to break it down might be new/separate topics or average length of membership of the posters after wins or losses.

I don't really have the stats to prove it, but it feels like there are some "drive-by" posters who come in after losses and pound on a topic or topics and then disappear.

I know I'm not saying anything new, but it's interesting given the stats that Rocky provided.

Is it easier to be critical than positive?
Are people just blowing off steam?

Could be a little of everything I guess.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2008, 06:54:52 PM »
Too many variables for me to put any stock in those (no offense. I apreciate the effort). However, I would say significant consideration needs to be given to factors like weekend, vs. weekday, what else may be going on (Packer game, holidays. etc.), home vs. road - many more people will be around to comment on a road game as a huge % of posters are obviously attending home games, and clearly we win most of those. A larger sample may be better, but I think the home/road factor will still be a big one.

I'm also thinking total post count may not be the way to measure, as there is likely to be a bit mor eback and forth after a loss which would make for a greater total post count. Users online might be a better way to measure if  people do in fact come out of the woodwork after losses as opposed to after a win. I'm assuming that information would be hard to come by though.