[Today at 11:08:12 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:02:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Charleston Chewed up  (Read 14156 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Charleston Chewed up
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
So much more competition on the wing now with adding Bailey and Joey and in certain sense Ed, without subtracting anyone, that whoever is playing best is going to get floor time.  There is going to be a crunch for time and someone is going to be the odd man out, and I doubt it will be Joey unless he gets in foul trouble.

Awful take. Need to play the starter 40 min no matter what they do on the court. Don't kill their confidence by pulling them under any circumstance

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »
I don't think we can say Cain is in the doghouse. Wojo is on record as saying that starting spots are used to reward strong practice. Cain wouldn't have gotten those starts if he was in Wojo's doghouse.

There's a lot of depth but no standout players at the wing on this roster. Minutes are going to be earned. Whoever is playing the best of Sacar, Joey, Brendan, and Cain will get minutes. The night it was Joey and Brendan. I bet at other times this season it will be Sacar and Cain.

Also, as Ed gets more acclimated and starts to demand minutes he might play at the 4 which pushes Sam to the 3 which means even more competition for the wings.

Plus, our best lineup seems to feature both Markus and Joe. So when they are out there that means that four players are competing for time at the 3.

Oh and Greg will likely return in the next few weeks...adding another mouth to feed.

It's a great problem to have. The best players will rise to the top.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »
skianth16

I think you are overestimating John's upside, especially on the offensive side of the ball and ability to avoid stupid fouls. Honestly, he is done far better than I expected out of him, but seriously question how much higher ceiling with him.

I doubt Theo hits his ceiling halfway through his sophomore year. The things that he has issues with are coachable. If he is able to raise his basketball IQ just a little and begin to see the court outside the paint a little better, he's got the potential to be a very solid big. You can't teach toughness, and he's the leader on this team in the regard. That alone is going to continue to earn him minutes, especially in conference play.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
I don't think we can say Cain is in the doghouse. Wojo is on record as saying that starting spots are used to reward strong practice. Cain wouldn't have gotten those starts if he was in Wojo's doghouse.

There's a lot of depth but no standout players at the wing on this roster. Minutes are going to be earned. Whoever is playing the best of Sacar, Joey, Brendan, and Cain will get minutes. The night it was Joey and Brendan. I bet at other times this season it will be Sacar and Cain.

Also, as Ed gets more acclimated and starts to demand minutes he might play at the 4 which pushes Sam to the 3 which means even more competition for the wings.

Plus, our best lineup seems to feature both Markus and Joe. So when they are out there that means that four players are competing for time at the 3.

Oh and Greg will likely return in the next few weeks...adding another mouth to feed.

It's a great problem to have. The best players will rise to the top.

I think its pretty clear that Wojo has a ton of trust in Joey. Just like Sam, its going to be tough for Wojo to take him out of the game for any extended period of time.

When Joey starts finishing with more authority around the rim - wow he is going to be good.  He's just so smooth out there.  A little slow footed at times, but I think that will improve. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
Joey needs to grab the ball when it touches his hand. A few rebounds he has that just roll away from him (especially in the last moments against Louisville)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
I think its pretty clear that Wojo has a ton of trust in Joey. Just like Sam, its going to be tough for Wojo to take him out of the game for any extended period of time.

When Joey starts finishing with more authority around the rim - wow he is going to be good.  He's just so smooth out there.  A little slow footed at times, but I think that will improve.

This is why I would like to see us generally be more deliberate on offense. I think Chartouny, the Hausers, and even Howard benefit from a slower pace. We have plenty of skill and generally high basketball IQs, but aren't loaded with quickness. A slower offensive pace could allow our attributes to shine.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »
Awful take. Need to play the starter 40 min no matter what they do on the court. Don't kill their confidence by pulling them under any circumstance
This is true.  A Wisconsin HS basketball player once opined that if just John Dawson got "run" he'd be Magic Johnson.  Can't argue with that "fact".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
Joey needs to grab the ball when it touches his hand. A few rebounds he has that just roll away from him (especially in the last moments against Louisville)

I agree on this.  The one thing I noted last night is that Joey's hands are too soft.  He needs to grab the ball and hold onto it like a vise.  Too many rebounds slipping through his hands, too many balls taken out of his hands.  Hope he works on that and improves this year.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:48 PM »
I agree on this.  The one thing I noted last night is that Joey's hands are too soft.  He needs to grab the ball and hold onto it like a vise.  Too many rebounds slipping through his hands, too many balls taken out of his hands.  Hope he works on that and improves this year.

Agreed. When Theo gets a board, it's two hands on the ball and nobody else is getting it. I've noticed Joey losing a rebound in just about every game.

How'd you like in the first half when they cut it to 4-5, wojo's ATO was a post play for Joey and he went to work for the easy 2? Beautiful. To give it to a freshman when we needed a bucket and he gets it done is a thing of beauty.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:56 PM »

Hard biceps, soft hands.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2018, 01:16:53 PM »
Agreed. When Theo gets a board, it's two hands on the ball and nobody else is getting it.

Not really.  He's not very strong with the ball either - but better than Joey is at this point.

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2018, 01:21:30 PM »

Not really.  He's not very strong with the ball either - but better than Joey is at this point.

Eh maybe you're right. This team sucks at rebounding

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2018, 01:22:21 PM »
Last night was the first time we saw a combination of bigs in the game, with both Matt and Ed in for a short stretch.  I know I'm in the minority, but I think that this can be an effective lineup in the future.  The biggest knock on Theo right now is that the ball stops with him,  almost exact opposite with Matt.  I also think that Ed has held his ground surprisingly well against true centers thus far this year, but if he can play the 4, he should be able to get some match-ups that he can really abuse in the post.  It also could allow Sam to spend some time at the 3, where he can also get favorable match-ups.  Shouldn't be used all the time, but there are certainly stretches where I think it can be very effective.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »

Agreed. I feel pretty strongly that the Howard/Hauser/Hauser trio will become the core everything else revolves around as the season moves on. Everyone else will still be vital, but the bulk of our success/shortfall will come from the 3Hs.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2018, 01:26:18 PM »
Eh maybe you're right. This team sucks at rebounding

Agree with you there.  Everytime we are grabbing a defensive rebound it seemingly looks like we are going to drop it, fumble it, whatever.  Maybe I just watch too much NBA.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
This is true.  A Wisconsin HS basketball player once opined that if just John Dawson got "run" he'd be Magic Johnson.  Can't argue with that "fact".

Obsessed much?  Please go re-post where I said that.  I can't wait for you the self-stated arbiter of what a "fact" is, to support your ridiculous post. 

You should really stick to topics you might actually know a little something about - perhaps politics?  You are a profound political poster in the Super Bar.  As it relates to basketball?  You are *literally* the one of the most misguided among the "Scoop Intelligencia." 

However, I do admire your continued ability to embrace mediocrity. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
Obsessed much?  Please go re-post where I said that.  I can't wait for you the self-stated arbiter of what a "fact" is, to support your ridiculous post. 

You should really stick to topics you might actually know a little something about - perhaps politics?  You are a profound political poster in the Super Bar.  As it relates to basketball?  You are *literally* the one of the most misguided among the "Scoop Intelligencia." 

However, I do admire your continued ability to embrace mediocrity.

People might take the time to find your specific posts and quote them from the past, but it's really hard to keep track which username it was under with you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »

Agree with you there.  Everytime we are grabbing a defensive rebound it seemingly looks like we are going to drop it, fumble it, whatever.  Maybe I just watch too much NBA.

That's the one place Jamal Cain stands out positively. He does well corralling and securing rebounds.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
Nooooo! I had reason to believe that was John Dawson's Uncle. He had some serious insight
Ners has surely already befriended him on facebook so his insights can live on vicariously through Ners

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2018, 04:14:01 PM »
That's the one place Jamal Cain stands out positively. He does well corralling and securing rebounds.

Agreed! Not to mention he secures them when the ball is 11 feet off the ground. He gets UP

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »

As someone who didn’t get to watch the game last night and was enjoying the info shared on this thread, I found this post to be nothing more than an unfunny, unprovoked attack that took away from a good and civil discussion.  As Chief Brody said in Jaws, “That’s not funny, that’s not funny at all.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »
It was funny.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »
I laughed

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »
As someone who didn’t get to watch the game last night and was enjoying the info shared on this thread, I found this post to be nothing more than an unfunny, unprovoked attack that took away from a good and civil discussion.  As Chief Brody said in Jaws, “That’s not funny, that’s not funny at all.”
So you got a new handle there MUFINY?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2018, 09:28:24 PM »
So you got a new handle there MUFINY?

MUFINY is Herman Cain. Pretty sure that's AnotherMU84/Heisenburg/TooManyToList

feedback