Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Charleston Chewed up  (Read 14072 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Charleston Chewed up
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
Not bothered by good shooters missing good shots. The TO number was alarming, but MU got whatever they wanted.

That officiating crew of Breeding, Chiazza, and Driscoll was... something. I would have gotten a T if I was Wojo and Breeding yelled at my guys the way he did in the second half. Pathetic official.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »

Don't focus on the number.  Focus on the quality.  Very few of them were forced.  A couple of his misses were WIDE open.  I'll live with that.

That's fair. The box score did look a lot more unbalanced that I remembered Markus' game being last night. I guess it wasn't. Someone else pointed out how high his efg was, and I think that tells a pretty good story too.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »
Went to my first game last night and not much change of my opinion on this team. The half court offense needs a ton of work. I only got frustrated once last night, which is an improvement, and that was more at the fans than the team. On one possession , after pissing away 32 seconds, Joe C launches a 28 footer that bounces in, my wife and others are clapping loudly like it was a great possession.

I have my fingers crossed that they can win one or two of the upcoming games and see what happens from there. Have said several times, but Morrow is the key to success, IMO. I know everyone loves John, but Morrow is the best big man on the team. I am hoping he plays like it moving forward.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Chartouny had at least three assists he didn't get because Markus missed wide open jumpers JC set him up for. Joey had another two wide open misses on threes from JC & a runner in the lane that went in and out while Morrow missed a no-footer. As good as JC was last night, it would've been a 35+ point blowout if guys had finished the easy looks he created.

JC also had 7 steals!
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
On one possession , after pissing away 32 seconds, Joe C launches a 28 footer that bounces in, my wife and others are clapping loudly like it was a great possession.

I cheered that, but more the improbability of it. I was laughing as I clapped. From my angle, looked like it was bouncing well out, then somehow fell back in. I think the fans were more cheering the incredible bounce than the possession on the whole.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »

I have my fingers crossed that they can win one or two of the upcoming games and see what happens from there. Have said several times, but Morrow is the key to success, IMO. I know everyone loves John, but Morrow is the best big man on the team. I am hoping he plays like it moving forward.

Morrow has great flashes at times, but he's still too inconsistent. If Theo can get a little better at knowing when to kick the ball back out and cut down on some bad fouls, he's very capable of being the leading big man. Ed may be ahead of him skillset-wise today, but by the time conference play rolls around, I see Theo getting the lion's share of the minutes.

To me, Ed plays smaller than he is, kind of the opposite of Jae. Ed is this big, imposing guy, but he doesn't play like a bruiser. That could change, and going up against Theo every day in practice could easily lead to Ed becoming more physcial. But for now, his style doesn't seem to match his build. And ultimately, I see that being a key reason why Theo will become our primary big.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
Went to my first game last night and not much change of my opinion on this team. The half court offense needs a ton of work. I only got frustrated once last night, which is an improvement, and that was more at the fans than the team. On one possession , after pissing away 32 seconds, Joe C launches a 28 footer that bounces in, my wife and others are clapping loudly like it was a great possession.

Thats what fans do. We applaud when a player can redeem a bad possession by making a tough shot. The same phenomenom happens in baseball all the time. My experience is that most so called "web gems", the best defensive plays, usually occur because the fielder was out of position. If the fielder was in the correct position it would have been a routine out instead of requiring a low probabilty play.

It's the same reason I didn't get bent out of shape about the first half of the Presbyterian game. We had good possessions that resulted in open looks,  we just couldn't hit the shots. Only a matter of time before the shots started to fall.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 10:09:52 AM »
Agreed on Theos passing. The ball is stopping with him. Part of that is he isn't dominant enough to demand a double team or help defense. If we can establish him early in games, it may coax the other team to send some help which will free up our shooters
TAMU

marquetterk24

• Walk-On
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
Marquette doesnt deserve an SOTG. The only reason that they won is because Charleston Southern is trash. Marquette players played like crap and honestly Im suprised that Wojo didnt get out-coached. Too bad Marcus didnt tear his ACL but there is still hope for Saturday. Cant wait for us to get pounded up the butt all season long in the post starting with wade then happ and so on

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
Oh, marquetterk24, I can't quit you.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »
Marquette doesnt deserve an SOTG. The only reason that they won is because Charleston Southern is trash. Marquette players played like crap and honestly Im suprised that Wojo didnt get out-coached. Too bad Marcus didnt tear his ACL but there is still hope for Saturday. Cant wait for us to get pounded up the butt all season long in the post starting with wade then happ and so on
Four to five posts to judge?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
I'm all for letting obvious trollers troll, and in some ways the new content is refreshing (4 year old re-runs just don't do it anymore), but lets not wish injury on any student athlete.  Stick to criticizing the players, coaches, program, stadium, campus, mascot etc.  There should be more than enough content to remain entertaining, without being cynical.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
I've been reported!

I know plenty about basketball, the apex of which is not to let the paint dry when running the picket fence.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:51 AM »
So you admit Wojo out coached someone...point Wojo

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 10:31:04 AM »
Four to five posts to judge?

Lol, this dude's post history is a work of art  ;D

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 10:32:25 AM »
Troll has been banned.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 10:34:36 AM »
skianth16

I think you are overestimating John's upside, especially on the offensive side of the ball and ability to avoid stupid fouls. Honestly, he is done far better than I expected out of him, but seriously question how much higher ceiling with him.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 10:35:40 AM »
Troll has been banned.

Your honor, I object!

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
Troll has been banned.
Nooooo! I had reason to believe that was John Dawson's Uncle. He had some serious insight

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 10:42:15 AM »
I cheered that, but more the improbability of it. I was laughing as I clapped. From my angle, looked like it was bouncing well out, then somehow fell back in. I think the fans were more cheering the incredible bounce than the possession on the whole.

Yep.  I was amazed that the shot went in.  It all but defied the laws of physics.
Have some patience, FFS.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 10:44:59 AM »

Saturday will give everyone a good barometer of where we are. Very little to take away from cupcake games.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
A cupcake game with cupcake results.  No surprises which is a good thing.

Good to see JC getting more and more comfortable on the floor.  His defensive forte finally came through but more importantly he is taking shots he should take instead of passing them by.

Morrow is getting there.  Not as fast as JC but definitely need him to up his game as soon as possible but stop with the dumb fouls.

Sorry to see Cain in the doghouse.  Great ability.  I hope he sees more playing time and while Bailey had a good game and you can see his raw potential, I prefer to have Cain out there.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »
79Warrior

Spot on. If I did not have the tickets in my pocket and work a mile from the Fiserv, I would have skipped the cupcake last night. It is impossible to make intelligent analysis, good or bad, in a game like that. I am looking forward to Saturday and hoping more folks show up for the game.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2018, 11:34:07 AM »
TAMU

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
Sorry to see Cain in the doghouse.  Great ability.  I hope he sees more playing time and while Bailey had a good game and you can see his raw potential, I prefer to have Cain out there.
So much more competition on the wing now with adding Bailey and Joey and in certain sense Ed, without subtracting anyone, that whoever is playing best is going to get floor time.  There is going to be a crunch for time and someone is going to be the odd man out, and I doubt it will be Joey unless he gets in foul trouble.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback