Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Imagine...  (Read 13008 times)

barfolomew

• All American
Re: Imagine...
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
Why is Scoop so obsessed with hypotheticals?

Well, let's say for a minute that we weren't obsessed with hypotheticals... in that case your post would be incorrect.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »
IU will be a tough team to play this year, and it will be proven in the season.
Also think Louisville will be competitive, might get some nice wins to help MU soon.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 09:58:14 AM »
I bet that happened at some point during Ellensons year

When I first saw this, I thought you were right.  But the only teams we played that may have 60% of the starting roster as below the rim players, was Belmont (never had more than a 4 point lead) and Wisconsin (we beat them). 

Most of our losses that year were in Big East play, where the athleticism was at a higher caliber. 

But our roster in 2015 is comparable to Louisvilles this year, except add 1-2 years of experience to every player on our 2015 team. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:11:36 AM by forgetful »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 10:07:47 AM »
When I first saw this, I thought you were right.  But the only teams we played that may have at 60% or the starting roster as below the rim players, was Belmont (never had more than a 4 point lead) and Wisconsin (we beat them). 

Most of our losses that year were in Big East play, where the athleticism was at a higher caliber. 

But our roster in 2015 is comparable to Louisvilles this year, except add 1-2 years of experience to every player on our 2015 team.

Props to you for doing the research
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »
Why is Scoop so obsessed with hypotheticals?

LOL

Welcome to Scoop.  The obsession with hypotheticals is second only to the obsession with player minutes.
Have some patience, FFS.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2018, 11:03:00 AM »
Well, let's say for a minute that we weren't obsessed with hypotheticals... in that case your post would be incorrect.
Nicely done.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2018, 11:16:54 AM »
We could also have been 3-0.  So what?  We're 1-2.  Which is where almost every good team in America would be had they played at IU, vs. Kansas, and vs. Louisville.

You must of missed the Indiana game and the second half of the Kansas game where we were completely dominated for 60 minutes.  We were a lot closer to being 0-3, 2 missed bunnies at the end of regulation and an obvious 3 pointer that was counted as 2, then we were being 3-0.

You can claim this is early in the year, that losses don't matter right now, that we are going to be better as the year goes on but you have to be concerned with the way this team is playing. 

Hopefully this win will be the kick in the butt this team needs but its looking like this team is going 1-5 against the meat of our non-conference schedule.  Louisville was the easiest of the 6.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2018, 11:20:12 AM »

I saw a number of bright spots even as we struggled.  Markus played within himself.  Joey continues to emerge.  There was even an Ed Morrow sighting.

But I refused to be a miserable f*ck and say something like, "I know we won, BUT..."  Life's too short.  It's just sports.

You sure spend an awful lot of time on here for something you consider to be of such minimal value.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »
You must of missed the Indiana game and the second half of the Kansas game where we were completely dominated for 60 minutes.  We were a lot closer to being 0-3, 2 missed bunnies at the end of regulation and an obvious 3 pointer that was counted as 2, then we were being 3-0.

You can claim this is early in the year, that losses don't matter right now, that we are going to be better as the year goes on but you have to be concerned with the way this team is playing. 

Hopefully this win will be the kick in the butt this team needs but its looking like this team is going 1-5 against the meat of our non-conference schedule.  Louisville was the easiest of the 6.

We aren’t “close to” any record other than 4-2. That’s what we are. A 1 point win is as 1-0 as a 52 point win is 1-0. Saying we “could be” 3-3 is stupid chicken little thinking. We “could be” 6-0 just as much as we “could be” 3-3.

I’m encouraged by the fact that we’re playing defense. With the exception of our first competitive game where we got punched in the mouth immediately and never responded, our defense had clearly been far, far better. I’d be much more concerned if our offense looked good and our defense looked terrible. The offense will come around, I have no doubt. And we’ll win at least 1 of our remaining tough non-con games, I have no doubt.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 11:25:47 AM »
4 guys who have never played with this team until 18 days ago. And we are trying to burn down the team. I get the concern. But the D is there. The O needs some work.

Ed has been here since since the summer of 2017 - about 18 months
Joey graduated early and joined the team last December - about 11 months
Joe and Brendan have been with the team since June - about 5 months

Your 18 days argument doesn't hold water. These guys are playing basketball together every day, even if they've only played 6 games together so far.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
We aren’t “close to” any record other than 4-2. That’s what we are. A 1 point win is as 1-0 as a 52 point win is 1-0. Saying we “could be” 3-3 is stupid chicken little thinking. We “could be” 6-0 just as much as we “could be” 3-3.

Nope. We were very close to being 3-3 last night. 2 high percentage shots missed by Louisville in the last 5 seconds. That's close to losing. It's focusing on the negative and not the positive, but it's not wrong either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »
Nope. We were very close to being 3-3 last night. 2 high percentage shots missed by Louisville in the last 5 seconds. That's close to losing. It's focusing on the negative and not the positive, but it's not wrong either.

We were just as close to being 0-1 last night as Indiana was to being 0-1 against us 2 weeks ago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
We were just as close to being 0-1 last night as Indiana was to being 0-1 against us 2 weeks ago.

You can't honestly believe that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
You can't honestly believe that.

I’m not one for moral victories or feeling sorry for myself for taking advantage of another team missing opportunities. We won. Louisville lost. No asterik attached. Same with Indiana winning, Marquette losing.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 11:36:04 AM »
I’m not one for moral victories or feeling sorry for myself for taking advantage of another team missing opportunities. We won. Louisville lost. No asterik attached. Same with Indiana winning, Marquette losing.

At least it's clear now that what happens during the game doesn't actually mean anything to you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »
...you may say I'm a dreamer...
...but I'm not the only one....
...maybe one day you'll join us...
...and Muscoop will live as one....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »

Yah....no.

You’re a bullheaded dude. We really should have lost last night. Big W and very much needed. Hopefully this team uses it as a springboard and continues to improve.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
Ed has been here since since the summer of 2017 - about 18 months
Joey graduated early and joined the team last December - about 11 months
Joe and Brendan have been with the team since June - about 5 months

Your 18 days argument doesn't hold water. These guys are playing basketball together every day, even if they've only played 6 games together so far.

Do you seriously think practicing with the same group of guys is remotely comparable to live game action against different teams, especially one as talented as Kansas?

And you mention Joey has been here 11 months but how much of that time was spent rehabbing?  He and Brendan are freshman. Ed showed some signs last night. Joe has been a disappointment thus far.

The 3 big games left are all at home. That's huge. Get two of them, which is not unrealistic, and we'll be in solid shape entering conference play.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
You could also have written that sentence this way:

There were concerning things, but a lot of positives takes as well.

I saw the game this way and not your way.

Sure, I could've. Either way, there are pros and cons, cons and pros. I don't think it's unreasonable to acknowledge the negatives while also embracing the positives.

I liked how Markus played last night. I like how the defense has played, especially how Markus has played on defense because we see the effort to stay in front of his man. I like that we responded to the Louisville runs and never let the game get away from us. I loved the way that Ed seemingly entered the Matrix to keep his balance long enough to find someone to take that ball from him. I like that we at least got to put one in the W column.

All good things. But there are still trends that have carried from past years that concern me. I think it's fair to discuss both.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
Do you seriously think practicing with the same group of guys is remotely comparable to live game action against different teams, especially one as talented as Kansas?

And you mention Joey has been here 11 months but how much of that time was spent rehabbing?  He and Brendan are freshman. Ed showed some signs last night. Joe has been a disappointment thus far.

Yeah, I think having a 5 on 5 scrimmage in practice in comparable to live game action. Nothing can replicate the real in-game pressure, but coaches run game simulations all the time in practices.

There's a reason the redshirt exists. It's because a year of practicing and watching film and lifting weights can help improve a guy's game. To just ignore that Ed and Joey have been with the team for an extended period of time doesn't make sense to me. And to act like the first experience Joe and Brendan had with our team was 3 weeks ago is equally ridiculous. Practice matters. Film room sessions matter. These things help players learn the ropes of the offense and defense and learn tendencies of teammates.

I'd be willing to be that before the Carroll exhibition, Markus knew Brendan's favorite spot on the floor. Sam knew whether Joe preferred to push the ball in transition or slow it down for a half court set. Ed knew our offense as well as Sacar. Joey knew Wojo's focal points to combat different defensive styles. Our 4 first year guys were not magically dropped off by the basketball stork 18 days ago like Blue Man said.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2018, 12:49:40 PM »
Yeah, I think having a 5 on 5 scrimmage in practice in comparable to live game action. Nothing can replicate the real in-game pressure, but coaches run game simulations all the time in practices.

There's a reason the redshirt exists. It's because a year of practicing and watching film and lifting weights can help improve a guy's game. To just ignore that Ed and Joey have been with the team for an extended period of time doesn't make sense to me. And to act like the first experience Joe and Brendan had with our team was 3 weeks ago is equally ridiculous. Practice matters. Film room sessions matter. These things help players learn the ropes of the offense and defense and learn tendencies of teammates.

I'd be willing to be that before the Carroll exhibition, Markus knew Brendan's favorite spot on the floor. Sam knew whether Joe preferred to push the ball in transition or slow it down for a half court set. Ed knew our offense as well as Sacar. Joey knew Wojo's focal points to combat different defensive styles. Our 4 first year guys were not magically dropped off by the basketball stork 18 days ago like Blue Man said.

So why is there and adjustment period for all but about 15 freshman in the country? Every one of them is in their program for 5 months before they play their first game. Should be able to hit the ground running.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »
So why is there and adjustment period for all but about 15 freshman in the country? Every one of them is in their program for 5 months before they play their first game. Should be able to hit the ground running.

We're seeing the adjustment even after they know the schemes and tendencies. We are definitely not seeing the way things look on day 1.

Game speed is different than practice. There's no doubt about that. But practice absolutely matters, and the time Ed and Joey spent with the team last season has to have made a big impact. Look how well Joey has integrated from the start. Dont you think last season made a difference for him?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »
Joey played one high school game last year.  He came to MU to rehab his ankle.  He got to see the sets and schemes and practice.  Actual playing didn't start until summer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »

But you're not practicing against the same schemes and talent levels you're seeing nor is the environment the same.  I'm not saying practice doesn't matter or film doesn't matter but no matter how hard you try it's not going to equate to game experience.  Adjustments periods are different, some guys may lose confidence more quickly, etc.  So many different factors are in play that aren't when you're practicing.

The fact that you think my point is the new guys were just "magically dropped off by the basketball stork" shows you're just not paying attention. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2018, 03:20:23 PM »
The fact that you think my point is the new guys were just "magically dropped off by the basketball stork" shows you're just not paying attention.

That was referring back to fjm's post saying we have 4 guys who haven't played with this team until 18 days ago. That was what got us into the topic of how long guys have been with the team and what impact it has on us.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:28:15 PM by skianth16 »

feedback