Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Imagine...  (Read 13016 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Imagine...
« on: November 23, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »
What Scoop would be saying if we had given up a 9 (okay, it was 8 tonight) point second half lead. We’d be saying we got out toughed. We didn’t belong in the same building. Our opponent didn’t try until they were in trouble.

But instead we’re soft because we won a game by 3 that had us as a 3.5 point favorite.

I just don’t understand why people always have to be miserable. Down 8 with 11 minutes left and win. A nice come from behind win.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:59:10 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Imagine...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 11:33:10 PM »
I think it's possible to be both pleased with the win and disappointed with the portents. There were positives to take, but a lot of concerning things as well. And things we've seen before both this season and in others.

Hopefully this is a team that is taking time to gel and will look significantly better come March. But I don't think it's unreasonable to have concerns about how our three games against high major opponents have gone.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:33 AM »
I think it's possible to be both pleased with the win and disappointed with the portents. There were positives to take, but a lot of concerning things as well. And things we've seen before both this season and in others.

Hopefully this is a team that is taking time to gel and will look significantly better come March. But I don't think it's unreasonable to have concerns about how our three games against high major opponents have gone.

Bravo.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 12:27:54 AM »

This is how I feel.  We have the talent to win the Big East, and be a Sweet 16 team.  But, we are not playing nearly to that level at this point of the season.  We have 6 important non-conference games.  So far we are 1-2, and could easily be 0-3, in those games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 12:41:20 AM »
This is how I feel.  We have the talent to win the Big East, and be a Sweet 16 team.  But, we are not playing nearly to that level at this point of the season.  We have 6 important non-conference games.  So far we are 1-2, and could easily be 0-3, in those games.

We could also have been 3-0.  So what?  We're 1-2.  Which is where almost every good team in America would be had they played at IU, vs. Kansas, and vs. Louisville.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 12:52:51 AM »

Very happy with the win. But, this is not a sweet 16 team yet by any stretch.  We will compete in the BE.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 01:00:22 AM »
We could also have been 3-0.  So what?  We're 1-2.  Which is where almost every good team in America would be had they played at IU, vs. Kansas, and vs. Louisville.

We've seen the copy/paste response a number of times. But can you really, honestly, say that you're happy with the product on the floor this year?

Did you watch the IU game and think to yourself that the we were as good as you hoped for coming into the season? Did you watch the KU run and shrug your shoulders, saying that it'll happen to a lot of teams, so it's OK that it's happening to us? Did the first 30-35 minutes tonight make you think we're improving and gelling as a team?

The record and the game tape don't always tell the same story.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 01:21:41 AM »
We've seen the copy/paste response a number of times. But can you really, honestly, say that you're happy with the product on the floor this year?

Did you watch the IU game and think to yourself that the we were as good as you hoped for coming into the season? Did you watch the KU run and shrug your shoulders, saying that it'll happen to a lot of teams, so it's OK that it's happening to us? Did the first 30-35 minutes tonight make you think we're improving and gelling as a team?

I personally understand and accept that teams are not a finished preduct in November.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 01:32:56 AM »
This board is always the same lol

We lose and blow leads...melt down city

We win and make a comeback...it’s ironic posts made to take a jab at the meltdowns

Legit every game.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 01:33:32 AM »
I personally understand and accept that teams are not a finished preduct in November.

And that's true for our competition too. So I'd hope that with our talent, we'd be looking a lot stronger against these unfinished products.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 02:23:06 AM »

4 guys who have never played with this team until 18 days ago. And we are trying to burn down the team. I get the concern. But the D is there. The O needs some work.

The amount of people calling for WOJO’s head at half time of the game tonight. Then go unheard from when we win is fugging amazing. Only happy when you hate the coach or the program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 08:12:09 AM »
Imagine Louisville had made their point blank put backs in the last few seconds after Wojo failed to use a timeout to get his defense and rebounding back out onto the floor.      Wailing, gnashing of teeth, rending of garments, crap lost. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »

I saw a number of bright spots even as we struggled.  Markus played within himself.  Joey continues to emerge.  There was even an Ed Morrow sighting.

But I refused to be a miserable moose and say something like, "I know we won, BUT..."  Life's too short.  It's just sports.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:08:18 PM by mu_hilltopper »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »
Imagine Louisville had made their point blank put backs in the last few seconds after Wojo failed to use a timeout to get his defense and rebounding back out onto the floor.      Wailing, gnashing of teeth, rending of garments, crap lost.
I might be wrong, but I thought we were out of timeouts.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »
None of the professionals had MU projected as anything better than a fringe top 25 team to start the year. Yeah, they *could* reach the S16, but they would be overachieving....which would be great, but its stretch to say they have S16 talent.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »

That's the way I remember it.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »

Well said brew.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »
Saw signs of life and we got out with a W. Like that Theo and Ed finally both showed up at the same time for some inside presence, Brendan hit a shot, Marcus played more within the flow, still had a few bad Marcus moments, Joey is legit and Sam is Sam...Chartouny was rough but hey, Chris Mack knows us well and we beat Louisville. This is a tournament team, still hoping we get this figured out...soon.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
Imagine if we had a roster with 1-five star, and 5-four star recruits and gave up a 8 point second half lead to a team with 60% of their starting lineup being below the rim players.  Largely, by being out competed and out toughed. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »
Imagine if we had a roster with 1-five star, and 5-four star recruits and gave up a 8 point second half lead to a team with 60% of their starting lineup being below the rim players.  Largely, by being out competed and out toughed.

I bet that happened at some point during Ellensons year
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »

You are not wrong.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »
You are not wrong.
We called 2 in OT. One after a trap, and one on the ensuing inbounds. I believe you are only given one extra for OT so we would have 1 TO left in regulation.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 09:42:17 AM »

You could also have written that sentence this way:

There were concerning things, but a lot of positives takes as well.

I saw the game this way and not your way.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »
We called 2 in OT. One after a trap, and one on the ensuing inbounds. I believe you are only given one extra for OT so we would have 1 TO left in regulation.
That is how I remember it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 09:49:51 AM »
Why is Scoop so obsessed with hypotheticals?