Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Buzz Williams tweet yesterday  (Read 11704 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Coach Buzz Williams tweet yesterday
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
Not making tournament he is on "secret double probation" pending next year result he gone
Goal is National Championship

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
Wojo ain't it.   4 years and 5 games worth of eye test tells me this.   His biggest weakness is coaching, motivating and getting his guys to believe and play better than the individual selves and sadly he obviously doesn't recognize this and hire a assistant that can help (that may actually be his largest weakness - inability to self access).  Don't tell me about what a crappy situation he walked into.   
Facts

1.) Buzz's teamd have preformed better
2.) Ben Howland's teams have performed better
3.) Shaka's teams have performed better
4.) Both Hurley boys teams have performed better
5.) Cuonzo Martin teams performed better.

We chose poorly.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:29:38 PM by Charlotte Warrior »

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Buzz was right on BE, just a few years early on his prediction
Oh c'mon, you actually bought his BS?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
Wojo ain't it.   4 years and 5 games worth of eye test tells me this.   His biggest weakness is coaching, motivating and getting his guys to believe and play better than the individual selves and sadly he obviously doesn't recognize this and hire a assistant that can help (that may actually be his largest weakness - inability to self access).  Don't tell me about what a crappy situation he walked into.   
Facts

We choose poorly.

Hindsight's 20/20

1) Buzz left on his own volition.
2) I was team Howland when we were hiring
3) Shaka rejected us
4) Dan Hurley was 60-62 at that point, Bobby Hurley was 19-10
5) Cuonzo had issues at California before bolting, it would've been no different at MU.

This whole idea that we chose Wojo out of those candidates is faulty logic. Maybe two of them would've been legit candidates at the time and one of those would've been out the door again
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
Ben Howland hasn't done much at Mississippi State either.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
Facts

We choose poorly.

Shaka's first few years they performed better?   Really?

Ben Howland, zero NCAA appearances in first three years of his new job.  Went to NIT last year, did not go as far as Marquette. Had trouble at UCLA with kids and NCAA.

Cuonzo Martin is 3-2 this year, including two double digit losses to Iowa State and Kansas State.  He stayed at Cal for three years and his last year at Cal was worse than his 2nd year.  Everyone knew he was not long for Cal and would not be long for MU, which is one of the reasons we took a pass on him.

Bobby Hurley zero NCAA tournament wins, isn't that the knock on Wojo?  His one NCAA appearance was a First Four where they were knocked out.  His Pac 12 tournament results are 1-3.    Two of his first three seasons were losing records. 

Buzz zero NCAA tournament wins in 4 years.  Isn't that one of the knocks on Wojo? 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:18:25 PM by WarriorDad »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2018, 01:16:54 PM »
Buzz was right on BE, just a few years early on his prediction

I would suggest strongly cheering for a different program.  Marquette isn't going to start football, and thus the world is coming to an end for MU hoops then.  No one will be happy.  If Buzz is correct and you agree with him, why would any great coach come here?

They wouldn't.  So buckle up and either get on board, or cheer for someone else, because according to you and Buzz, the BE is finished and can't do any better, and any coach worth a damn won't be here.  Right?
— Plato

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
I would suggest strongly cheering for a different program.  Marquette isn't going to start football, and thus the world is coming to an end for MU hoops then.  No one will be happy.  If Buzz is correct and you agree with him, why would any great coach come here?

They wouldn't.  So buckle up and either get on board, or cheer for someone else, because according to you and Buzz, the BE is finished and can't do any better, and any coach worth a damn won't be here.  Right?

Well, in the last two years, two of the Big East’s top coaches in Holtmann and Mack have departed for greener pastures.  We need to hope like hell Wright doesn’t bolt for the NBA, he’s an icon for the conference right now and losing him would be very damaging.  If guys like Cooley, Ewing, McDermott, and Mullin can build brands and Butler and Xavier stay solid despite the coaching changes, we’ll be okay.  If that doesn’t happen, the conference will be in trouble.  A lot’s hanging in the balance these next 2-3 years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
Well, in the last two years, two of the Big East’s top coaches in Holtmann and Mack have departed for greener pastures.  We need to hope like hell Wright doesn’t bolt for the NBA, he’s an icon for the conference right now and losing him would be very damaging.  If guys like Cooley, Ewing, McDermott, and Mullin can build brands and Butler and Xavier stay solid despite the coaching changes, we’ll be okay.  If that doesn’t happen, the conference will be in trouble.  A lot’s hanging in the balance these next 2-3 years.

So what you're saying is if our good programs fall off and our bad programs don't rise and take their place the BE is in trouble?

This is the kind of analysis herman cain usually provides.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2018, 01:45:51 PM »
So what you're saying is if our good programs fall off and our bad programs don't rise and take their place the BE is in trouble?

This is the kind of analysis herman cain usually provides.

Chicos sarcastically stated in his last post that “no coach worth a damn will want to be here.”  If he was referring to the Big East as a whole and not just Marquette, he might be right.  Two of the conference’s top coaches have left in the last two years and we look like a two bid league this year.  But we don’t have anything to worry about, because as you’ve said many times, “We got our guy.”

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »
Chicos sarcastically stated in his last post that “no coach worth a damn will want to be here.”  If he was referring to the Big East as a whole and not just Marquette, he might be right.  Two of the conference’s top coaches have left in the last two years and we look like a two bid league this year.  But we don’t have anything to worry about, because as you’ve said many times, “We got our guy.”
Two bids? I’ll take the over on that

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2018, 02:21:14 PM »

I’ll put a wager down on over/under being 2.5 bids for the BE. I’ll take the over. Already have a bet with Lenny for 1 year self ban if Kansas (he’s banned) or Duke (I’m banned) wins the title. You in for a year break from Scoop if the BE gets 3+ bids?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »
I’ll put a wager down on over/under being 2.5 bids for the BE. I’ll take the over. Already have a bet with Lenny for 1 year self ban if Kansas (he’s banned) or Duke (I’m banned) wins the title. You in for a year break from Scoop if the BE gets 3+ bids?

Why are your shrinking away from making a call on this year's MU team.  Sweet 16 or not?

I'll take "no," and you can have "yes" that we make a Sweet 16 - loser takes a year off Scoop.  However, this is an additional year beyond your bet with Lenny's.

You've been the biggest f'in loudmouth about how great Boy Wonder is and to respect the process.  Surely you think by Year 5 at the helm he can lead us to a Sweet 16, right?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

Hell no I’m not taking that bet.  You’ll want me around during baseball season, wades.  I probably hate the Cubs more than you do.

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »
Shaka's first few years they performed better?   Really?

Ben Howland, zero NCAA appearances in first three years of his new job.  Went to NIT last year, did not go as far as Marquette. Had trouble at UCLA with kids and NCAA.

Cuonzo Martin is 3-2 this year, including two double digit losses to Iowa State and Kansas State.  He stayed at Cal for three years and his last year at Cal was worse than his 2nd year.  Everyone knew he was not long for Cal and would not be long for MU, which is one of the reasons we took a pass on him.

Bobby Hurley zero NCAA tournament wins, isn't that the knock on Wojo?  His one NCAA appearance was a First Four where they were knocked out.  His Pac 12 tournament results are 1-3.    Two of his first three seasons were losing records. 

Buzz zero NCAA tournament wins in 4 years.  Isn't that one of the knocks on Wojo?

My knock on Wojo is that the team continues to have the make the same fundamental errors in year 5 as in year 1.  I see the players potential, but I don't see it with Wojo as coach.   He doesn't know how to teach and he can't motivate.   It's not going to change miraculously.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2018, 02:54:46 PM »
Why are your shrinking away from making a call on this year's MU team.  Sweet 16 or not?

I'll take "no," and you can have "yes" that we make a Sweet 16 - loser takes a year off Scoop.  However, this is an additional year beyond your bet with Lenny's.

You've been the biggest f'in loudmouth about how great Boy Wonder is and to respect the process.  Surely you think by Year 5 at the helm he can lead us to a Sweet 16, right?

Since you apparently made a poll about simply making the NCAA Tournament this year (that nobody but you saw) I'll take that bet.

I wouldn't bet a year on Duke making the S16.  And I think Duke is significantly better than Marquette.

Not to mention, we've seen how you and bannings play out.  How many different screennames is this now?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:59:37 PM by wadesworld »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
My knock on Wojo is that the team continues to have the make the same fundamental errors in year 5 as in year 1.  I see the players potential, but I don't see it with Wojo as coach.   He doesn't know how to teach and he can't motivate.   It's not going to change miraculously.

That's part of college basketball.  Players come and go.  In Buzz's last year at Marquette, why were we making errors we shouldn't have?  Because players come and go, this isn't the NBA. 

34.5% of the minutes played on Wednesday night were by players that didn't wear a Marquette uniform last year.  This is why you don't judge teams this early. Some come out needing to hit their stride, and do later. Others are ready to go at the start, and fade latter half of the season. The special teams go wire to wire.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2018, 03:08:24 PM »

If you are referring to me, then you have the wrong name. 

Two bid league?  The conference is ranked 5th right now.  Minimum 3 bids, probably 4 to 5.  We aren't even in December yet.  Get a grip. 

The level of despair from some of you is astounding. 

— Plato