'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It was the best of halves, it was the worst of halves.  (Read 21400 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: It was the best of halves, it was the worst of halves.
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2018, 07:30:32 AM »

The problem was they put Sam back on the floor with two fouls for the offensive possession.  He was the one best able to stop the penetration, but didn't because he didn't want to pick up his third.

BTW, your "Kansas wasn't trying" in the first half line of thinking is really not a smart one.

I burst out laughing as I read your last sentence. I was thinking the same thing when I read Hutch's post. It is the way you call people out that keeps the board honest, and your existence is why people should often think before they hit "Post." I know I have deleted many a knee-jerk or emotional Post before I regretted it, lol.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2018, 08:02:54 AM »

The problem was they put Sam back on the floor with two fouls for the offensive possession.  He was the one best able to stop the penetration, but didn't because he didn't want to pick up his third.

BTW, your "Kansas wasn't trying" in the first half line of thinking is really not a smart one.

There were 4 other guys on the floor with Sam, right?   None of them could be bothered to stop the ball.

Putting quotes around something I never wrote  is really not smart.  Kansas’s effort became half hearted after they started 19-11.  I stand by that.  As my earlier post stated which you’re free to accurately quote, Sam and all other open looks disappeared from the moment  MU touched the ball in the second half.  It was night and day how KU covered up three pt looks between the halves.  Simply covering all open looks is all about effort being put forth. 

Happy Thanksgiving

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2018, 08:24:14 AM »
I burst out laughing as I read your last sentence. I was thinking the same thing when I read Hutch's post. It is the way you call people out that keeps the board honest, and your existence is why people should often think before they hit "Post." I know I have deleted many a knee-jerk or emotional Post before I regretted it, lol.

People just need to watch and see what happened.  Kansas was getting lost on pick and rolls constantly.  They adjusted by not leaving shooters, and Marquette didn't make them pay - because they don't have players who can reliably take it to the basket.  It has been an ongoing issue since Wojo got here.  The team is not well constructed - perhaps Cain, Bailey and Elliott can fill that role eventually but they can't right now.

And yes, that's on Wojo.  Team construction is his responsibility.  Perhaps he thought Sacar could do it - but he is too inconsistent.  But athletic wings are a necessity in college basketball.  And we really don't have them right now.

Kansas’s effort became half hearted after they started 19-11.  I stand by that.

Sorry but I didn't see that at all.  Marquette started hitting shots and moving the ball.  That just sounds like a convenient excuse for not giving credit where credit should be given.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »
Kansas didn’t take us seriously until they fell behind and had to
They scored same amount of points in each half, so no. We missed open shots and had too many unforced TO's in second half.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2018, 11:29:47 AM »
Wrong, everything was the problem. Kansas dominated both ends once they took us seriously
Bigly wrong #FakeNews

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2018, 11:46:50 AM »
6pm (12am) tips are tough for me on a school night so I couldn't watch - but am gut-shot by that run. What kind of line-up(s) did we have in? What kind of set plays did we run out of the TOs? Those kinds of runs seem emblamatic of all sorts of different Wojo-era losses -this wasn't just a fluke.

Would love to know what percentage of games, nationally, feature 9 minutes scoreless stretches.

Aside: Box score for Tuny looks like what we'd want - 8 to 3 A/TO, and hit a 3 to keep them honest. What stretches was he in for?

Other boxscore note - a total of 2 rebounds in 35 minutes from our three-headed F/C? Were 8 of Lawson's 26 second chance pts?
Main problem with me is that he played the 2 way too much with Markus in the game which makes no sense to me

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
Post of the night.

I would amend by saying that we couldn't defend KANSAS or attack KANSAS. Going forward, we have guys who CAN defend '18-'19 BigEast attacks and go on offense and attack this watered-down conference. Runners train for speed by running downhill, not uphill. Swinging a weighted club in golf used to be the way to train. Now, it's ultra lightweight trainers like the Orange whip to develop speed ..I know, counter-intuitive.... I'd bet by March were we to face this same KU team, we could put two halves together. Confidence comes from results. I think results are coming. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

Nope, specially sprinters start on a flat and end on a slope for the last meters creates stamina and speed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »
At least we kept the game interesting for 20 minutes. A top 15 team kept the game against Kansas interesting for about 3 minutes when they played.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »
At least we kept the game interesting for 20 minutes. A top 15 team kept the game against Kansas interesting for about 3 minutes when they played.

And Presbyterian kept the game interesting against us for 29 minutes.  A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2018, 12:36:35 PM »
And Presbyterian kept the game interesting against us for 29 minutes.  A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

Bingo. Hopefully you weren’t one of the many claiming it’s not the losses it’s how you lose.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2018, 12:57:10 PM »
Bingo. Hopefully you weren’t one of the many claiming it’s not the losses it’s how you lose.

How you play during the game is the better insight into how the rest of the season plays out. That seems like an easy concept to grasp. In many cases, the final score doesn't tell the full story to the game - who controlled the pace of play, what ball movement was like, what the defensive pressure was like, etc.

You know all of this, though. You're just too dug in to give an inch here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
How you play during the game is the better insight into how the rest of the season plays out. That seems like an easy concept to grasp. In many cases, the final score doesn't tell the full story to the game - who controlled the pace of play, what ball movement was like, what the defensive pressure was like, etc.

You know all of this, though. You're just too dug in to give an inch here.

We went 9 minutes without scoring a point and still lost by only 9 to the best team in the country. It’s November. We’ll be fine.

Had we beat IU and Kansas I’d be thinking we might go into the NCAA Tournament undefeated. Those might be our two toughest games this season.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:01:01 PM by wadesworld »

feedback