[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It was the best of halves, it was the worst of halves.  (Read 20830 times)

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
Re: It was the best of halves, it was the worst of halves.
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2018, 09:06:11 PM »
We really struggle to score in the lane.  Everything is jump shots.

The Louisville game is huge now.  Starting the season by whiffing on the first non 3 cupcakes would be a disastrous start.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2018, 09:08:08 PM »
My point is that it was obvious that there was no emphasis from the coaching staff in the second half to attack the basket. 

Because no one can. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »

JC is what he is.  But I am blown away by how ineffective Ed has been.

JC was supposed to be the PG our roster was lacking!  He wasn’t an afterthought where hope was anything you get out of him is gravy. Highly disappointing player.

whitykj

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2018, 09:08:44 PM »
Who can create their own shots off the dribble?

Only Marcus but that has nothing to do with what I said. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2018, 09:09:50 PM »
Only Marcus but that has nothing to do with what I said. 

So you want the coaching staff to tell them to do something they can't do???

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:01 PM »
Let me quote myself again, because I still don't think people understand.

Offense was the problem today.  Not defense.  Kansas scored 38 in the 1st half, and 39 in the second half. 

Now.  You tell me why MU lost.  (Yes, Markus is amazing, and a problem...)

Wrong, everything was the problem. Kansas dominated both ends once they took us seriously

whitykj

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »
Because no one can.

Disagree heavily.  Cain and Anim can slash.  Sam and Joey can use the high post

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:16 PM »
Markus did attack the basket.   He missed lay ups and did not get foul calls.   The ball was dumped into Theo, who missed bunnies.   Sam drove into the lane and nobody bit or helped because his defender stayed in front of him and did not jump on a ball fake.   Sacar missed a floater.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:37 PM »
Who can create their own shots off the dribble?

Ball movement and attacking the paint doesn’t just have to come off the dribble. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
Wrong, everything was the problem. Kansas dominated both ends once they took us seriously

I score you 0 out of 1.   Guess you were used to that for quiz scores at Marquette.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »
Defense is improved over last year (we probably would have given up 100 last year). We just couldn't buy a shot to open the 2nd half. I doubt we'll have another 9 minute drought all year.  Second half hurts, a lot, but I still think there are more positives than negatives.  It's fine if you disagree.

Defense is better, but Kansas put it to us pretty good while Azubiuke was in the game.  He only played 15 minutes.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2018, 09:13:22 PM »
We really struggle to score in the lane.  Everything is jump shots.

The Louisville game is huge now.  Starting the season by whiffing on the first non 3 cupcakes would be a disastrous start.

Exactly right. Don’t forget Presbyterian had us down well into 2nd half.

whitykj

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2018, 09:13:45 PM »

So you want the coaching staff to tell them to do something they can't do???

Creating a shot off the dribble and driving to the basket to colapse the defense to either go up strong or kick out are not the same thing...........

tower912

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2018, 09:14:06 PM »
Defense is better, but Kansas put it to us pretty good while Azubiuke was in the game.  He only played 15 minutes.

Yes, a really good center did get our post players in foul trouble.   And kept our guys from attacking the basket while in the game.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2018, 09:14:50 PM »
Creating a shot off the dribble and driving to the basket to colapse the defense to either go up strong or kick out are not the same thing...........

The defense isn't going to collapse on someone who can't go up strong. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »
I score you 0 out of 1.   Guess you were used to that for quiz scores at Marquette.

Keep telling yourself defense wasn’t an issue tonight. We played well for a stretch in first half.  That was it.  We had no ability to stop Kansas from getting anything they wanted on offense. Especially when  Azubuike wasn’t in foul trouble. We had 6 team fouls before first media timeout!!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2018, 09:18:08 PM »

Offense was the problem today.  Not defense.  Kansas scored 38 in the 1st half, and 39 in the second half. 

This.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2018, 09:18:47 PM »

Very true (although I think Lawson was better than Doke), but we wont see a C as big or as good as that all year.  Happ has better footwork, but gives up 4 inches and Matt already has some success against him.  Come Beast play I think Theo will be fine (Ed has been a major disappointment though).

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »

Agree, Rocky.  My diagnosis: when you lose a player like Rowsey, it takes awhile for other players to fill that void.  Rowsey's usage rate was about 1 in 4 possessions for two years.  Additional usage for Markus was always going to make him less efficient. Sam H's game isn't going to be predicated on creating (and the way the NBA game is structured, he could play in the Association without developing that skill at MU).  So who is going to shoulder that offense?  Greg Elliot was the most aggressive candidate but he's hurt. Sacar's physicality makes him a great candidate, but his offensive game is a work in progress. Morrow has not shown the offense we anticipated.  Cain is trying to figure out his role.  Joey Hauser is an extremely talented freshman, but no one knows how to play with him yet. 

I don't know the answer to where this offensive production is going to come from - my guess is a combo of (i) Joey's maturity, (ii) Sacar becoming more aggressive, and (iii) Cain figuring out how to fill the gaps, in that order - but whether or not Wojo figures this out will be the story of the season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2018, 09:28:06 PM »
I've been as big a Wojo supporter as anyone, but this was bad. Losing by the point spread isn't the issue. Having a 9-point halftime lead and never being in the game in the second half is disgraceful. That game felt over even before we lost the lead.

We just needed a basket and kept throwing up bad looks. We didn't attack inside. Markus took contested looks too early. Then after falling down 14, we get it back to single digits with about a minute left and go inside when only threes would give us a chance.

Maybe we shouldn't have won, but we should've been in that game. And asking "what adjustments?" is a copout response. That's literally Wojo's job. To answer that question. Go inside, draw fouls, attack Azubuike, chirp at the refs and take a technical when Azubuike and Lawson are traveling or Cain is getting hacked inside without a whistle.

The first half was great, but that second was one of the worst coached halves I've seen in a long time. And I feel like second half adjustments is somewhere we are always at a disadvantage.

We should've won that game, but at the minimum, we certainly should've been in it. We weren't from the 20:00 mark of the second half, even when we still had the lead. That's sad.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »

20 of 25 Kansas’ first 25 second half points were on layups or dunks.

As I correctly stated (thank you very much), KU had a layup drill going on in the second half.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »
that second was one of the worst coached halves I've seen in a long time.

You mean since 11/14 vs IU?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
You mean since 11/14 vs IU?

Maybe I should've specified second halves. When they spot you 9 points, you should at the bare minimum be in the game at the end.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
I've been as big a Wojo supporter as anyone, but this was bad. Losing by the point spread isn't the issue. Having a 9-point halftime lead and never being in the game in the second half is disgraceful. That game felt over even before we lost the lead.

We just needed a basket and kept throwing up bad looks. We didn't attack inside. Markus took contested looks too early. Then after falling down 14, we get it back to single digits with about a minute left and go inside when only threes would give us a chance.

Maybe we shouldn't have won, but we should've been in that game. And asking "what adjustments?" is a copout response. That's literally Wojo's job. To answer that question. Go inside, draw fouls, attack Azubuike, chirp at the refs and take a technical when Azubuike and Lawson are traveling or Cain is getting hacked inside without a whistle.

The first half was great, but that second was one of the worst coached halves I've seen in a long time. And I feel like second half adjustments is somewhere we are always at a disadvantage.

We should've won that game, but at the minimum, we certainly should've been in it. We weren't from the 20:00 mark of the second half, even when we still had the lead. That's sad.

Perhaps you have not been made aware of the fact that we only lost by 9 on a neutral court to the best team in history.  A team Sam Hauser could’ve started on!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:36:51 PM by Research Report »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2018, 09:36:42 PM »
KU had a layup drill going on in the second half.

Yes.  And Marquette's offense was still the problem in the second half.

feedback