[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: rocket is ahead of his time  (Read 3094 times)

GGGG

• All American
rocket is ahead of his time
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
he refuses to use capitalization because he wants to protect us from the difficulty and high-stakes nature of posting to muscoop.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/19/capitalised-words-should-not-used-university-staff-setting-assignments/?fbclid=IwAR3qPBCraZk8PBpGTYkTALDeyeGlsAEIu9t-tx82xqoiTxj2NPsyQL_z8yw

"Capitalised words should not be used when setting assignments because it can worry students, university lecturers have been told.

Academics at Leeds Trinity were sent advised to "write in a helpful, warm tone, avoiding officious language and negative instructions".

According to a staff memo aimed at "enhancing student understanding, engagement and achievement", capitalising a word could emphasise "the difficulty or high-stakes nature of the task".

forgetful

• All American
Re: rocket is ahead of his time
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
I saw this.  Seems ridiculous.  But I wonder how much this is a result of changing times, and communication. 

The current generation is the text generation, less face to face discussions.  That leads to a whole new method of evaluating the content of speech. 

Certain words, phrases and capitalization invoke as much meaning, aggression, and symbolism as tone of voice, volume etc., and body language of early generations. 

No one would encourage screaming and demonstrative/violent hand gestures when giving out instructions on a test.  It would be absurd, and frightening.

But capitalization is the modern day equivalent of screaming, and it invokes the same emotional responses as being screamed at, because that is how language/communication is now learned. 

Similarly, certain phrases etc., invoke similar emotions.  I responded to a student once with just simply, k, instead of ok or more elaborate of a statement.  Didn't know, k, as a simple response is synonymous with irritation, and being upset with the individual.

An oddity in how language and our emotions are connected and can change with the times. 

I still feel it is a bit absurd, but that is likely because I learned in an older form of communication. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »
I saw this.  Seems ridiculous.  But I wonder how much this is a result of changing times, and communication. 

The current generation is the text generation, less face to face discussions.  That leads to a whole new method of evaluating the content of speech. 

Certain words, phrases and capitalization invoke as much meaning, aggression, and symbolism as tone of voice, volume etc., and body language of early generations. 

No one would encourage screaming and demonstrative/violent hand gestures when giving out instructions on a test.  It would be absurd, and frightening.

But capitalization is the modern day equivalent of screaming, and it invokes the same emotional responses as being screamed at, because that is how language/communication is now learned. 

Similarly, certain phrases etc., invoke similar emotions.  I responded to a student once with just simply, k, instead of ok or more elaborate of a statement.  Didn't know, k, as a simple response is synonymous with irritation, and being upset with the individual.

An oddity in how language and our emotions are connected and can change with the times. 

I still feel it is a bit absurd, but that is likely because I learned in an older form of communication.

This is really well put. On it's surface it seems ridiculous, but that's because they fail to communicate context as well as direction. This is also a symptom of the modern era.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
A similar discussion I've had recently with my kids is typing.  Two spaces after a period and one after a comma is what I was always taught and still practice.  Apparently current typesetting says one space after either mark.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »
Yeah it's hard for me to break away from, but one space after a period is now what you are supposed to do.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 01:42:33 PM »
that was just when using a typewriter  ,   word processors eliminated the need for that decades ago.   ;D

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »
that was just when using a typewriter  ,   word processors eliminated the need for that decades ago.   ;D

Not Unless you needed to add a little more length to some research papers.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 01:47:01 PM »

Naw, you just bump all the periods up from 12 font to 16.  Looks the same, but will add up to 3 lines per page.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
Yeah it's hard for me to break away from, but one space after a period is now what you are supposed to do.

Made that hard conversion this year....honestly, it sped my typing up even more (went from 50 WPM to 60 WPM). Less thinking and obviously less characters to type.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »

Says the guy who doesn't capitalize his own screenname.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »
Those east coast snobs can't read!!!

Guessing those low acceptance rates are a product of improperly spaced admission essays.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
Says the guy who doesn't capitalize his own screenname.

You know, I never actually noticed that until you mentioned it.  Now it will probably drive me a little crazy.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 10:49:02 PM »
he refuses to use capitalization because he wants to protect us from the difficulty and high-stakes nature of posting to muscoop.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/19/capitalised-words-should-not-used-university-staff-setting-assignments/?fbclid=IwAR3qPBCraZk8PBpGTYkTALDeyeGlsAEIu9t-tx82xqoiTxj2NPsyQL_z8yw

"Capitalised words should not be used when setting assignments because it can worry students, university lecturers have been told.

Academics at Leeds Trinity were sent advised to "write in a helpful, warm tone, avoiding officious language and negative instructions".

According to a staff memo aimed at "enhancing student understanding, engagement and achievement", capitalising a word could emphasise "the difficulty or high-stakes nature of the task".

This cannot be a real thing?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »

That was a thing?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 10:56:57 PM »

2.1 line spacing. GG

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 01:53:45 AM »
Awww chit...first a topic honoring me then my inner snowflake is revealed and my counselor is outta his office for thanksgiving break.  I’ll tell ya my reason though-part laziness and part consolidating energy, saving it for the capitals as some mentioned above to evoke EMOTION DAMN IT, and separate it from my “Joe cool”  schtick. ok, now I feel better
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 05:17:23 AM »
That was a thing?

Yep. Everyone learned it in typing class.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
My typing instructor was one of those old school sexy librarian types. Had the full beehive hairdo with   cat eye glasses.  Was very strict and formal but I know underneath all that veneer she was one hot mama.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »
My typing instructor was one of those old school sexy librarian types. Had the full beehive hairdo with   cat eye glasses.  Was very strict and formal but I know underneath all that veneer she was one hot mama.

This is just plain creepy.  Especially given your prior claims regarding treatment of women.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »
This is just plain creepy.  Especially given your prior claims regarding treatment of women.

Talk about your quick brown foxes....
Have some patience, FFS.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »

I am a two-spacer and will never change.  Never.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.