[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: R-E-L-A-X  (Read 53277 times)

dgies9156

• All American
R-E-L-A-X
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
Ya'll all remember Aaron Rodgers a few years back when the Packers were in a supposed tailspin?

It's one game people. You're dealing with 18-22 year-olds who, in many cases, had limited experience in a place like Assembly Hall. Yeah, their play looked liked warmed over barf but, gee, it's one game.

R-E-L-A-X!!!!

If by mid-January we're still having similar concerns, well, then, we do have a problem. But one game does not a season make. There were a couple of instances (one in particular involving Louisville in 1976) during the Al years, where we just scratched our heads and wondered, "what on earth?" It happens with everyone.

So please, stop calling for Wojo's head. At least for now. It really doesn't do anybody any good in November!

Yeah, I wish we had Quentin Grimes too. But we don't. Our guys are who they are and I'll be interested to see if we're still complaining about the same issues after we beat Villanova, Bucky and a host of other teams.

manny31

• Starter
Re: R-E-L-A-X
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:26:39 PM »
I will not relax.
I am a fan(atic).
I will continue to opine I things I have no knowledge.
When folks call me on it I will repeat it only I will use all CAPS.
If you think for one second I will stop with the ad hominem attacks, you are a fool.
Good day sir.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
Ya'll all remember Aaron Rodgers a few years back when the Packers were in a supposed tailspin?

It's one game people. You're dealing with 18-22 year-olds who, in many cases, had limited experience in a place like Assembly Hall. Yeah, their play looked liked warmed over barf but, gee, it's one game.

R-E-L-A-X!!!!

If by mid-January year five we're still having similar concerns, well, then, we do have a problem. But one game does not a season make. There were a couple of instances (one in particular involving Louisville in 1976) during the Al years, where we just scratched our heads and wondered, "what on earth?" It happens with everyone.

So please, stop calling for Wojo's head. At least for now. It really doesn't do anybody any good in November!

Yeah, I wish we had Quentin Grimes too. But we don't. Our guys are who they are and I'll be interested to see if we're still complaining about the same issues after we beat Villanova, Bucky and a host of other teams.

FIFY Says the intelligentsia.

It’s  nov - fair.  It’s the same bad D, soft play and seemingly bad game prep. So I guess I get the exasperation

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »
dgies
I agree with 95% of your post. But, to throw out a Rodgers and Al comparison is a stretch to me. Pretty sure their body of work trumps Wojo's career to date performance.

Curious, what was Al's instance against Louisville in '76? DePaul I scratched my head, but Louisville is escaping my memory.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »
Honestly dgies, I think we'll largely 'know' by the time Bucky has been played.  That's 23 days from now.  Now sure, we could turn around a bad start with conference play.  But at some point, you are what you are. 

And the year 5 thing is real.  The honeymoon ended years ago.  So any comparisons to Al and ARodg are a ugggge reach. Champions both.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »
Honestly dgies, I think we'll largely 'know' by the time Bucky has been played.  That's 23 days from now.  Now sure, we could turn around a bad start with conference play.  But at some point, you are what you are. 

This.  Especially bc we know (or think) the Big East is down.  If we don't split in NYC and take 2 of 3 from our good home games, we're gonna be in trouble.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 01:03:59 PM »
This.  Especially bc we know (or think) the Big East is down.  If we don't split in NYC and take 2 of 3 from our good home games, we're gonna be in trouble.

I think the two most likely losses in the non-con were Kansas and Indiana. Unfortunately Kansas is next so it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »

R-E-L-A-X!!!!

If by mid-January we're still having similar concerns, well, then, we do have a problem. But one game does not a season make. There were a couple of instances (one in particular involving Louisville in 1976) during the Al years, where we just scratched our heads and wondered, "what on earth?" It happens with everyone.

Love all of this..except we don't have an Aaron Rodger's type player on this roster. If we had a first team all american sit down in a post game press conference and say he'll make sure it doesn't happen again then I might believe it. But that is going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:08:58 PM »
Aaron Rodgers career has largely been wasted due to his coaching and his team’s defense

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 01:14:13 PM »
Love all of this..except we don't have an Aaron Rodger's type player on this roster. If we had a first team all american sit down in a post game press conference and say he'll make sure it doesn't happen again then I might believe it. But that is going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

Does Tebow have BBall eligibility left?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 01:14:45 PM »
Bullchit, I've seen enough to judge.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
Aaron Rodgers career has largely been wasted due to his coaching and his team’s defense

+1

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »
Bullchit, I've seen enough to judge.

I'm with you, Doc. Basta.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 01:43:39 PM »
4ever and Crash
Count me in. I actually saw enough during Henry's one year at MU.

Jwillkom

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »
I think the key thing I took from last night wasn't just that they lost, it was how they lost. Marquette made zero runs in the second half. They brought no energy to start the game or the second half. For the entire game, they only had 8 assists. Everyone blames the defense. I hate to say it, but it's a lot more than just defense. The flow on offense was poor; too much standing around and not enough ball movement. It was literally Sam Hauser and Markus Howard going 1 on 1 for large stretches. You look at how much harder Sam and Markus had to work to get their points vs. a guy like Romeo Langford, who played within the offense but didn't try to do too much.
One thing that will challenge MU the whole year is their lack of playmaking guards. Howard is a great scorer, but he has a shoot first mentality. A lot of MU's other players are catch and shoot scorers (Cain, Anim, Bailey, John, Morrow). These guys score better when assisted but are limited in isolation. Unless guys like Sam or Markus are creating opportunities for them, their impact will be limited.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
4ever and Crash

Can you explain this? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Henry proved to be nothing more than a D-League caliber player in his 3 years with Detroit.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
I predict a win against Kansas. Expect nothing less.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 02:15:44 PM »
I predict a win against Kansas. Expect nothing less.

That would certainly cancel out last night's debacle. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »
4ever and Crash

Been in the Wojo doesn't have "it" camp since Year 1, prior to conference play.  Said Buzz had "it," prior to conference play in his Year 1.

Wojo will need elite level talent to win at a consistent level, because he simply doesn't seem to have anything other than "Fight."  "Compete."  "Drive the ball."  "Play downhill." 

Wojo's improved in the sense that he isn't AS kneejerk as he was in Years 1 and 2 with his substitutions, and taking guys out after a miscue, but on the whole he really struggles to manage his roster/personnel and define consistent roles.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 02:38:44 PM »

Yep, we hit a bump last night and some of us fell off the wagon.  One early game, with a terrible early 10 minute start and we went downhill.  One game, one loss.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »

Yep, we hit a bump last night and some of us fell off the wagon.  One early game, with a terrible early 10 minute start and we went downhill.  One game, one loss.

One game in Year 5, now added to an ever growing portfolio of frustratingly similar performances. If Wojo had a couple years of tournaments berths and big time wins on his MU resume, it would be easier to write off the IU game as an outlier. But because it looks so similar to the past 4 years, there is cause for concern.

Wojo's track record versus Aaron Rodgers' track record are vastly different. Rodgers could tell fans to relax because he could point to a history of success; he can tell fans that things will probably still work out to the way they had been the last few years. If things work out for us the way they have the last few years, that's a disappointment and quite honestly, a failure for the season. Things need to be better this year. No more excuses.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 04:02:33 PM »
Last night was pretty bad for a guy who is in his 5th season at the helm.  I like Wojo and I want it to work but if we lose to KU, KSU, Louisville and don't beat Bucky at home, it's time to move on from this experiment.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
last night was one game...no one argues that...the last 5 years has simply produced too many of those games and below average seasons.  i didn't like the coach k. coaching tree when we hired wojo...i like wojo more than i thought i would...i think his recruiting is above average...i think his coaching is below average.  those are just my opinions...the facts are the wins/losses, and i think you have to take emotion out of it.  if we would have laid out the expectations 5 years ago, i think a very modest set of expectations would be a top 25 team this year.  in my opinion, if he can't do that this year, he should be gone (though his contract may say otherwise).  if he can, he stays.  that said...i think he's a good person, good representative of the university, and i sure as hell hope MU ends up being a top 25 team this year. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 04:52:22 PM »
Last night was pretty bad for a guy who is in his 5th season at the helm. 

What about Jay Wright's performance last night?
Have some patience, FFS.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 04:55:18 PM »
What about Jay Wright's performance last night?

Jay Wright has earned the right to call a blowout a bump in the road. Wojo isn't there yet. Wright's resume speaks for itself. Wojo's is practically empty at this point.

feedback