Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU will be easy to coach the next few days  (Read 20468 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: MU will be easy to coach the next few days
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »
5J's
I don't always agree with you, but nice post. I think you summed things quite well.

KfBob

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »
I don’t understand bailey starting.  This is a freshman in his first road game.  He hasn’t done anything in first two games.  Why does he start?

He doesn’t play well to start the game and doesn’t play much remainder of half.  But he starts the 2nd half.  He plays very poorly and iU goes on an immediate run. Game over.

How does putting bailey in that position help him or the team?

Probably not a good idea to start a freshman on the road.  If Bailey is on he will score if he's not he won't.  He isn't athletic enough against P5 schools to get to the rim.  At 190 lbs. he is going to get pushed around a lot at this level.  Cain didn't shoot much better but had 7 boards.  If a guy has an off night shooting he has to bring something else...D and boards.  If you can rebound, D up and/or block shots then it's difficult to play at this level.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:03:11 PM by KfBob »

KfBob

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
True. But his seat has a 100% chance of getting very hot if we don’t meet some modicum of expectations.

I look to someone else who posted that Wojo has yet to exceed expectations. And that just bummed me outZ I like Wojo. I want Wojo to succeed. But everything is telling me he is just an average (if that) coach...and that isn’t good enough this survive long term at Marquette.
I don't think that coaching is Wojo's issue.  It's the players.  We have a 5-6 of skilled guys but we NEED Athletes.  We need a better mix of athletes and skilled guys.  Indiana showed what an mid-level P5 athlete looks like, and we don't have but one or two of those types on our team. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:25:09 PM by KfBob »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
I don't think that coaching is Wojo's issue.  It's the players.  We have a 5-6 of skilled guys but we NEED Athletes.  We need a better mix of athletes and skilled guys.  Indiana showed what an mid-level P5 athlete looks like, and we don't have but one or two of those types on our team. 

Then we should fire the GM!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
Then we should fire the GM!
AMEN! The cupboard is bare for Wojo. Give him 4 years to get his guys in.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2018, 04:06:04 PM »
Aughnanure
Sadly, I believe Wojo has met my expectations every year, with exception to HE season. The talent level is not strong enough to compete with upper tier teams on a game to game basis. I believe the based on the talent level, you need a Bo Ryan type coach to make any noise.

As for hot seat, I have been around a long time Dukiet barely had a hot seat. If not for a group of former players Dukiet would have lasted longer. Granted that was a lifetime ago, but MU does not fire coaches easily. Every under performing employee in America would love to have an MU basketball coach type hot seat.

On an ironic side bar, Buzz had the hottest seat in my lifetime. IMO, the best coach since Al, was the only one that ever felt real heat.

Fair, but not in a good way. Marquette needs a coach who beats expectations. Think Chris Beard at Texas Tech, Brad Underwood at SF Austin and OK State or even Rick Barnes at Tennessee who suddenly has a top 10 team with pretty much every main player being a sub 100 guy.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Wojo is lacking something big that makes a coach great.

Nevertheless, I thought before the game got fully away from us in the second half that the D looked really good in the halfcourt and Theo's improvement looks to be real. Too soon to tell, but barring injuries, this is the year to either buy or sell on Wojo moving forward. There is no hold.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »
Gotcha.  I do like Pomeroy.  What I don't like is that in Year 4 on the job the projection was 50th.  So, this year we started at 29.  Will see how that plays out.

At the under 4 timeout in the 2nd half, Wojo was very animated, slammed the board and walked away from the huddle with about 45 seconds left in the timeout. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »
I hope I'm wrong, but I think Wojo is lacking something big that makes a coach great.

I've said the before, but he doesn't seem to be real good at making adjustments.

I have also thought a lot about what Goose said earlier, and maybe the talent just isn't what we think it is.  (Which is not being used as an excuse because he is ultimately responsible for the talent.)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2018, 04:39:08 PM »
At the under 4 timeout in the 2nd half, Wojo was very animated, slammed the board and walked away from the huddle with about 45 seconds left in the timeout.

Probably because he doesn’t know what the f**k he’s doing.  When he has nothing in the cubard to teach, or a game plan,he resorts to emotion. He’ll throw a fit in hopes it lights a fire under the boys as a last ditch effort.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »
It's easier to coach a team full of all-Americans than a team w/ lesser talent. Where did Wojo come from?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2018, 06:34:21 PM »
Markus doesn't trust anyone but Sam. His mindset is find Sam or shoot himself. Missed a wide open Joey for a bad contested three, was constantly shot hunting instead of running the offense. If Chartouny can't run alongside him or Markus can't defer at times, it will be a long season.

3 times in the last 10 minutes matt heldt set crushing screens and bot defenders went with marcus, leaving heldt as the only player in the lane.  Markus never even looked at him.  Horrible
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
I just wish people would have perspective.  A blow out loss in November is nothing to panic about, yet we have people here who are jumping already.  Let history teach you guys some lessons.

Dont disagrre with you.  However what really concerns me is we have a guy in wojo running our program that thinks that markus running the point will end up in something other than a traiwreck against good competition.  That scares me,

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »
Aughnanure
Sadly, I believe Wojo has met my expectations every year, with exception to HE season. The talent level is not strong enough to compete with upper tier teams on a game to game basis. I believe the based on the talent level, you need a Bo Ryan type coach to make any noise.

As for hot seat, I have been around a long time Dukiet barely had a hot seat. If not for a group of former players Dukiet would have lasted longer. Granted that was a lifetime ago, but MU does not fire coaches easily. Every under performing employee in America would love to have an MU basketball coach type hot seat.

On an ironic side bar, Buzz had the hottest seat in my lifetime. IMO, the best coach since Al, was the only one that ever felt real heat.

Explain the Deane firing then plz

Goose

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2018, 06:51:21 PM »
Sand Knit
Canning of Deane was basically MU throwing in the towel. There was hardly a ground swell to get him axed.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2018, 09:33:39 PM »
Sand Knit
Canning of Deane was basically MU throwing in the towel. There was hardly a ground swell to get him axed.

My point is the Deane firing is completely contadictory to what aughanere is saying

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2018, 09:30:25 PM »
Sand Knit
Cords said he saw the wheels starting to come off the Wagon and wanted to preserve the gains made by KO.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2018, 09:49:32 PM »
Cords said he saw the wheels starting to come off the Wagon and wanted to preserve the gains made by KO.
A dangerous precedent for Wojo.

feedback