[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL 2018-19 2.0  (Read 131735 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: NFL 2018-19 2.0
« Reply #700 on: January 20, 2019, 10:25:42 PM »
Remember when the NFL was dying?
Yeah, me brother.

They have plenty of struggles.  This year ratings up slightly, but reach down for the 4th straight year....meaning fewer people watching (those that did watch, watched more).  Depends what you mean by dying.  10 years?  Or 50 years?  I'll go for the longer date, but they are not immune.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #701 on: January 20, 2019, 10:27:33 PM »
Exactly, its scheme.  Guys chipping down, motion, quick outs, etc...  Brady is very accurate but I firmly stand by any number of guys in this era could have had his success in that scheme and the tremendous blocking plan they have.  Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Luck.

People are predictably going crazy about Brady but those last 2 drives he literally hit first read open receivers over and over.  Edelman, Hogan, guys were wide open.  He wasn't throwing them open.  Hell, he underthrew the lob to Gronk.

Everyone has access to film.  Why has no one been able to defeat it consistently?  Better yet, why isn't anyone else copying it with those "BETTER" QB's?

Edelman and Hogan were not always wide open in those last two drives, go back and watch.  Some tight tight windows on some of those.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #702 on: January 20, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »
Everyone has access to film.  Why has no one been able to defeat it consistently?  Better yet, why isn't anyone else copying it with those "BETTER" QB's?

Edelman and Hogan were not always wide open in those last two drives, go back and watch.  Some tight tight windows on some of those.

Cause they don't have BB.  He's a cheating old pretty boy, but he's the best football coach of all time, bar none.

And if you say so.  Brady didn't make a wow throw the entire final drive or OT, he didn't have to.  A combination of scheme and a gassed Chiefs defense was enough.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #703 on: January 20, 2019, 11:09:34 PM »
Did you know the Commissioner can overturn that call in the Saints game.  He has the authority.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/20/commissioner-has-authority-to-take-action-over-rams-saints-outcome-in-theory/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #704 on: January 20, 2019, 11:36:46 PM »
Interesting that both road teams won overtime games.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #705 on: January 21, 2019, 01:05:28 AM »
Cause they don't have BB.  He's a cheating old pretty boy, but he's the best football coach of all time, bar none.

And if you say so.  Brady didn't make a wow throw the entire final drive or OT, he didn't have to.  A combination of scheme and a gassed Chiefs defense was enough.

He made some great, tight throws in that last drive...including two drops.  Here they are

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/1087204112930729984?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #706 on: January 21, 2019, 01:05:56 AM »
Interesting that both road teams won overtime games.

OT nfl style stinks

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #707 on: January 21, 2019, 01:06:21 AM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #708 on: January 21, 2019, 08:48:10 AM »
The only way they would ever apply that rule is if something extraordinary occurred.  That was simply a missed call.  NO still had a three point lead, and gave up a FG to tie.  They then had the ball first in OT and threw an INT.

So did the call "cost them the game?" Most likely yes, but NO had a couple opportunities to recover and they failed to do so.

Ditto KC and the overtime.  Gave up three straight third and longs - they ran the same base defense each time. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #709 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:35 AM »
I was thinking something similar to this article last night.  Why isn't college football plagued with all these nuances to the rules?  I think it's because the NFL is simply making its rulebook more complex when it really doesn't need to.

https://deadspin.com/the-only-thing-that-can-ruin-a-great-football-game-is-f-1831922672?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"The complexities and clunky design of football will always require the existence of a giant rulebook stuffed with inelegant solutions to unavoidable problems, but where the NFL has failed is in its insistence that the best way to fix the sport is just to create more rules, and to grant more opportunities to apply those rules through frame-by-frame scrutinization of every blade of grass on the field. The Chiefs were penalized for gently dropping a hand onto Tom Brady’s shoulder not because anyone in the stadium or on the field or in the grand expanse of the universe actually thought his health and safety were put at risk in that moment, but because the unceasing growth and mutation of the NFL rulebook demanded that the act be interpreted as such."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #710 on: January 21, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
Full time officials.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #711 on: January 21, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »

If it were about scheme, then why have the former Pats offensive coaches who've taken the scheme elsewhere (McDaniels, Weis, O'Brien, Daboll) been wholly unable to replicate the success they've had with Brady?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #712 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:23 AM »
I don't know about you, but it sure looked like every 3rd down catch that was made in that second half was an air tight window with a great throw that only his receiver could get.  Whether it was Edelman, Gronk, or fill in the receiver.  Some incredibly accurate throws in tight windows.

The guy is incredible.  He's 41 friggin years old playing QB in the NFL.

Yeah butt he's married ta Gisele. Dats gotta bee da fountain of youth, hey?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:11:23 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #713 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »
If it were about scheme, then why have the former Pats offensive coaches who've taken the scheme elsewhere (McDaniels, Weis, O'Brien, Daboll) been wholly unable to replicate the success they've had with Brady?

Because everyone hates Brady and needs to find a reason why he wins so much. So clearly its the scheme that no one can replicate that mkaes him only throw the easy passes.

Or Brady is just simply the best quarterback to play the game so far, and he doesn't have to resort to dodging in the pocket for 17 seconds and throwing up a prayer hail mary like Rodgers.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #714 on: January 21, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
Yeah...it's getting pretty hard to argue against Brady as the GOAT.  As much as I'd like to.  He's not the most talented or the most athletic.  But, he's the best.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #715 on: January 21, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »
He made some great, tight throws in that last drive...including two drops.  Here they are

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/1087204112930729984?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Both first downs to Edelman he had a step and a half on defenders.  The Gronk throw was tougher, but still just had to lead him cause he was a step clear.  The Patterson drop he wasn't open and Brady threw it to him.

Because everyone hates Brady and needs to find a reason why he wins so much. So clearly its the scheme that no one can replicate that mkaes him only throw the easy passes.

Or Brady is just simply the best quarterback to play the game so far, and he doesn't have to resort to dodging in the pocket for 17 seconds and throwing up a prayer hail mary like Rodgers.

I never said he only throws easy passes.  But BB has a system that allows his QB to stand in one spot and make lots of quick short throws.  Brady has had the best career, thats undeniable.  I don't think he's the best QB to ever play the game, no.  Hell, Mahomes made more big plays than Brady did yesterday, but he has eternal underachiever Andy Reid behind him, not the best coach of all time.  If you take away BB, you can't honestly tell me you'd prefer Brady to Rodgers (and I'm an f-ing Bears fan).

If the Chiefs INT that the offsides actually didn't truly impact the throw at all had stood, I wonder if people would be falling all over themselves to praise Brady.  The man is a hardcore competitor and perfectly executes a system he has played in for 20 years,  I just contend that its more BB than it is Brady bailing him out.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #716 on: January 21, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »

Greg Maddux never threw a wow pitch, Nolan Ryan threw thousands. Remind me of the great QBs BB "made" pre Brady - I thought BB was a defensive coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #717 on: January 21, 2019, 10:09:52 AM »
Only my opinions ...

Brady is the best QB ever, and No. 2, whomever that might be, isn't especially close. He has the stats, the championships, the Super Bowl appearances, and he has done it with a huge variety of WRs, RBs and offensive lines over the years. The Patriots let players come and go, except one, and they keep winning and winning. And this guy just keeps delivering -- for 2 effen decades now -- which pisses this Pats-hater off!

Great teams can overcome a call like the one against the Saints. It was a terrible call, about as egregious a missed call can be, but as others have pointed out they had PLENTY of chances to still win the game. Sports history is filled with truly great teams overcoming bad calls. You'd think a team coached by the (punchable) genius, Sean Payton, would be able to do that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #718 on: January 21, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »
You'd think a team coached by the (punchable) genius, Sean Payton, would be able to do that.

Ha, seeing him lose makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I know it's pretty common knowledge that he's a prick, but when did that start coming out? Because I remember pretty clearly cheering for the Saint when they won Superbowl XLIV

Goose

• All American
« Reply #719 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »
MU82

I am with you 100% on Brady to be the best QB ever. Truthfully, what he is doing is one of the most amazing sport performances I have ever seen. I have often said that Michael Jordan was the greatest team sport player ever, but I am started to lean towards Brady surpassing him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #720 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »
The man is a hardcore competitor and perfectly executes a system he has played in for 20 years,  I just contend that its more BB than it is Brady bailing him out.

If it's predominantly the system and not the quarterback, why can't it be replicated with another quarterback?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #721 on: January 21, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
Greg Maddux never threw a wow pitch, Nolan Ryan threw thousands. Remind me of the great QBs BB "made" pre Brady - I thought BB was a defensive coach.

Maddux threw plenty.  Dude was a marksman even if he didn't throw 103.  He was cerebral and knew tendencies...almost a system if you will.

BB knows football period. He was developing that system in Cleveland, he just wasn't ready.  Happens all the time, look at Pete Carroll

If it's predominantly the system and not the quarterback, why can't it be replicated with another quarterback?

Like 11-5 with Cassell?  Like 3-1 with inexperienced Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #722 on: January 21, 2019, 10:49:07 AM »
I was just gonna mention the Cassell year as well. That earned him a pretty ridiculous contract.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #723 on: January 21, 2019, 10:50:26 AM »
Did you know the Commissioner can overturn that call in the Saints game.  He has the authority.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/20/commissioner-has-authority-to-take-action-over-rams-saints-outcome-in-theory/

Sports talk radio is wondering why the NFL is taking so long to issue a statement on this call (unless they already have).  Some are speculating about a replay.  Others are thinking they will announce a bunch of officials are getting fired but the officials union is protesting (and may even boycott the Super Bowl).

This story is not over.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #724 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:43 AM »
Like 11-5 with Cassell? 

Well, 10-5. but still ...they were the 12th-ranked passing offense with Cassell, after being 1st the year before with Brady and third the year after with Brady.
4,731 yards passing in 2007
3,569 yards passing in 2008
4,436 yards passing in 2009.

QB no matta?

Like 3-1 with inexperienced Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett?

Brissett was thoroughly mediocre, throwing for zero TDs and 400 yards in about 10+ quarters of football.
Jimmy G played 1+ games and was good, but way too small of a sample size. and his success in SF indicates he's a pretty good QB and not a product of the New England system, which sorta wrecks your argument.

Why not talk about McDaniels' 28 games in Denver, or Brian Daboll's five seasons as an NFL coordinator, or Bill O'Brien's five seasons in Houston, in which his offenses have ranked 17th, 19th, 29th, 20th and 15th? Or the Charlie Weis' one season as OC in Kansas City, when they had the league's 30th ranked offense?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:05:31 AM by Pakuni »