[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL 2018-19 2.0  (Read 131895 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFL 2018-19 2.0
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
I think the two best games this weekend are the Saturday games, and I can see both road teams winning. I believe both those games will be close. I think the two Sunday games, the home teams both win by double digits.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #451 on: January 03, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »
I think the two best games this weekend are the Saturday games, and I can see both road teams winning. I believe both those games will be close. I think the two Sunday games, the home teams both win by double digits.

People have lost a lot of money the last 14 months underestimating Nick Foles. And the Eagles have one of the best O-lines in the league, which could neutralize what's been the Bears' primary advantage on opponents this season (i.e. their front seven).
The Bears certainly could win, but I'd be surprised if it's by double digits.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #452 on: January 03, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »
People have lost a lot of money the last 14 months underestimating Nick Foles. And the Eagles have one of the best O-lines in the league, which could neutralize what's been the Bears' primary advantage on opponents this season (i.e. their front seven).
The Bears certainly could win, but I'd be surprised if it's by double digits.

I said on here not too long ago they seem to just be a much better functioning team with Foles on offense. Two things however have stuck out with the Eagles the entire season that they haven't been able to fix. Being one dimensional against the Bears is going to be costly at some point on Sunday. Eagles are 28th in rushing, and second worst rush per attempt at 3.9. That's not a good recipe to go on the road and beat a team like the Bears.

Their second issue is they've been brutal covering RB's out of the backfield and have gotten burned repeatedly this year.

As examples:

McCaffrey 6/51
Yeldon 7/83
Elliott 6/36
Elliott 12/79
Barkley 7/41/1
Kamara 1/37/1
Barkley 9/99

I expect Cohen to have a big game, if the Bears don't gameplan and utilize him repeatedly, quite frankly they would deserve to lose then. If Mitch sucks and throws a couple early picks, they'll lose. I think Nagy has hopefully learned from his errors in last year's wild card round against Tennessee and from the Green Bay game. I'm not saying the Eagles are a push over, but I can see a 27-17 Bears win on Sunday, based on what I see from a matchup perspective.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #453 on: January 03, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
I said on here not too long ago they seem to just be a much better functioning team with Foles on offense. Two things however have stuck out with the Eagles the entire season that they haven't been able to fix. Being one dimensional against the Bears is going to be costly at some point on Sunday. Eagles are 28th in rushing, and second worst rush per attempt at 3.9. That's not a good recipe to go on the road and beat a team like the Bears.

Their second issue is they've been brutal covering RB's out of the backfield and have gotten burned repeatedly this year.

As examples:

McCaffrey 6/51
Yeldon 7/83
Elliott 6/36
Elliott 12/79
Barkley 7/41/1
Kamara 1/37/1
Barkley 9/99
I expect Cohen to have a big game, if the Bears don't gameplan and utilize him repeatedly, quite frankly they would deserve to lose then. If Mitch sucks and throws a couple early picks, they'll lose. I think Nagy has hopefully learned from his errors in last year's wild card round against Tennessee and from the Green Bay game. I'm not saying the Eagles are a push over, but I can see a 27-17 Bears win on Sunday, based on what I see from a matchup perspective.

I have a few quibbles, but this is all fair.
I just think that when facing a team that's gone 10-1 under its current QB the past two seasons, expecting a double-digit win may be overconfident.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #454 on: January 03, 2019, 11:39:56 PM »
I have a few quibbles, but this is all fair.
I just think that when facing a team that's gone 10-1 under its current QB the past two seasons, expecting a double-digit win may be overconfident.

In weeks 10-15, the Eagles run defense surrendered 5.76 yds per carrry. Week 16 Houston was without Lamar Miller, and Week 17 was against a dead Washington team. Most of Philadelphia’s losses had a common theme, coming against mobile/dual threat QB’s. Trubisky finished overall fifth in QB rush yds, second in yards per attempt.

As I showed above, they were fourth worst in the NFL at allowing receptions to backs. Cohen was third among RB’s in receptions.

I think they are arbitrary milestone numbers, but at home the Bears didn’t allow a 300 yard passer (Brady, Rodgers, Goff, Wilson) nor a 100 yard rusher (Gurley, Carson). Only one TE went above 50 yards against the Bears this year (Kittle for 74).

I’d like to be more nervous about this game, and football can certainly happen and flip this game quick. Every data point I study going into Sunday’s game points favorably for Chicago. If I’m wrong, so be it.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #455 on: January 04, 2019, 05:54:52 AM »
In weeks 10-15, the Eagles run defense surrendered 5.76 yds per carrry. Week 16 Houston was without Lamar Miller, and Week 17 was against a dead Washington team. Most of Philadelphia’s losses had a common theme, coming against mobile/dual threat QB’s. Trubisky finished overall fifth in QB rush yds, second in yards per attempt.

As I showed above, they were fourth worst in the NFL at allowing receptions to backs. Cohen was third among RB’s in receptions.

I think they are arbitrary milestone numbers, but at home the Bears didn’t allow a 300 yard passer (Brady, Rodgers, Goff, Wilson) nor a 100 yard rusher (Gurley, Carson). Only one TE went above 50 yards against the Bears this year (Kittle for 74).

I’d like to be more nervous about this game, and football can certainly happen and flip this game quick. Every data point I study going into Sunday’s game points favorably for Chicago. If I’m wrong, so be it.

werent you talking about how the bears shouldve laid down last week to let the vikings in and avoid playing an eagles team that is scary with nick foles at qb just a week ago?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »
werent you talking about how the bears shouldve laid down last week to let the vikings in and avoid playing an eagles team that is scary with nick foles at qb just a week ago?

Nope, reading comprehension would be helpful here from what I wrote.

I would absolutely have laid down to play the Vikes again, and said nothing of Foles/Eagles in that context. Would I rather play a division opponent that seemingly quit and the Bears beat up twice and showed little to no interest in showing up in their biggest game of the year? Of course.

I can think that and study the Eagles and come to the conclusion the Bears are better than them as well.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #457 on: January 04, 2019, 09:16:53 AM »
Should be one of the better WC weekends in recent memory - all games shapping up to be close ones.

I think the Bears have the easiest time. Yes, the Eagles have momentum and have "been there" but let's remember that Wentz got them home field advantage before getting hurt last year.

This is a very different team, and doesn't have same feel as the 2010 Packers who were among preseason favorites before being battered by injury (and still had to limp into the playoffs against the Bears week 17).

I think the Eagles keep it close, but it's going to take a great playcalling effort by Pederson to pull off an upset. Using their smaller backs in the Cohen/James White mold could be a mechanism to get Agholor or Jeffries room in the middle of field and keep the Bears pass rush even remotely in check

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #458 on: January 04, 2019, 10:22:59 AM »
Should be one of the better WC weekends in recent memory - all games shapping up to be close ones.

I think the Bears have the easiest time. Yes, the Eagles have momentum and have "been there" but let's remember that Wentz got them home field advantage before getting hurt last year.

This is a very different team, and doesn't have same feel as the 2010 Packers who were among preseason favorites before being battered by injury (and still had to limp into the playoffs against the Bears week 17).

I think the Eagles keep it close, but it's going to take a great playcalling effort by Pederson to pull off an upset. Using their smaller backs in the Cohen/James White mold could be a mechanism to get Agholor or Jeffries room in the middle of field and keep the Bears pass rush even remotely in check

I mostly agree with Dish and you on this.
Eagles will need to be at least +2 on turnovers to have a shot.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MU82

• All American
« Reply #459 on: January 04, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »
I'm a big fan of Christian McCaffrey. I expected him to be good, and he's been far better than good for the Panthers.

I also backed his decision (and similar decisions by others) to skip Stanford's meaningless bowl game so he could stay healthy and prepare for his NFL career.

But now he says that if he's invited to play in the Pro Bowl -- he's an alternate, but a couple ahead of him are in the playoffs -- "I wouldn't turn that down."

What? Compared to the Pro Bowl -- the exhibition of all exhibition games -- Stanford's bowl game decided the fate of the universe.

Seems a bit hypocritical of me to abandon one's college teammates because he didn't want to get hurt but now to play with a bunch of relative strangers in the worst all-star game in all of sports.

And yes, players have gotten seriously injured in the Pro Bowl.

As a fan of the Panthers but not of hypocrisy, I wish he wouldn't play in it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #460 on: January 04, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »
I'm a big fan of Christian McCaffrey. I expected him to be good, and he's been far better than good for the Panthers.

I also backed his decision (and similar decisions by others) to skip Stanford's meaningless bowl game so he could stay healthy and prepare for his NFL career.

But now he says that if he's invited to play in the Pro Bowl -- he's an alternate, but a couple ahead of him are in the playoffs -- "I wouldn't turn that down."

What? Compared to the Pro Bowl -- the exhibition of all exhibition games -- Stanford's bowl game decided the fate of the universe.

Seems a bit hypocritical of me to abandon one's college teammates because he didn't want to get hurt but now to play with a bunch of relative strangers in the worst all-star game in all of sports.

I don't find it hypocritical at all. In the risk/reward equation, there was WAY more to lose in a bowl game than the Pro Bowl.  He was the high draft pick and got the fat NFL contract.  He's also proven himself as a top level NFL RB.  Short of a Joe Theismann leg explosion, any injury at the Pro Bowl would have an entire offseason to rehab and heal.  No combine or workouts or anything else to miss and harm your value like the bowl.  Also, injuries have happened in the Pro Bowl, but the intensity of hitting and tackling is vastly lower than a bowl game.  Players have gotten seriously injured in helmets and shorts no pad workouts too.

If this was his second or third Pro Bowl, I can understand the argument potentially, but who knows if he would get a chance to be a Pro Bowler and experience it again.  The Pro Bowl sucks, no argument there, but I can see the appeal of the honor and experiencing it for the first time, especially as a young player

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #461 on: January 04, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
There are plenty of injuries besides a Joe Theismann leg explosion that would cause him to miss games in the fall.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #462 on: January 04, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »

Is there an incentive in his contract that pays him extra for making the Pro Bowl? I know rookie contracts are pretty standard/boilerplate, but just a thought.

If so, it would make the decision tree a lot different than it was for the bowl game.

If not, forget I said anything!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #463 on: January 04, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »
I know of no Pro Bowl incentive -- I'm no insider, and it hasn't been mentioned in any article about him -- and I do think he's got a standard rookie contract -- whatever it was "slotted" to be for a player picked 8th overall in 2017.

I do know that like just about every pro football player except the most elite QBs, he is expendable and disposable, just the way the NFL likes its players to be.

Now, it's true that he isn't playing for an NFL job, per se, but as Waldo says, he certainly could suffer the kind of injury that could sideline him for an extended period of time. Dolphins safety Dick Anderson -- the best in the NFL in the early-70s -- blew out his knee in the Pro Bowl and was never the same player.

It's also true, as JWags says, that the way he would have had to play in a bowl game for Stanford probably would have made him more likely to get hurt in that game.

I certainly might be wrong, but I just can't help but feel it's a little hypocritical of McCaffrey. And as a Panthers fan, I don't want him or Kuechly (who has a history of concussions) or any Panther playing in that wretched game.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #464 on: January 04, 2019, 12:12:57 PM »
I'm trying to think of the last player to get hurt in any lasting sense other than Tyler Eifert, who might be made of glass, and whose injury seemed to be mismanaged by the Bengals.I'm not counting Brian Moorman (RIP).

As JWags said, the man has made money, and now it's for him to decide the cost/benefit of playing this game. In my book, that calculation was pretty easy at Stanford; they don't pay nearly as well as USC

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #465 on: January 04, 2019, 12:22:34 PM »
I know of no Pro Bowl incentive -- I'm no insider, and it hasn't been mentioned in any article about him -- and I do think he's got a standard rookie contract -- whatever it was "slotted" to be for a player picked 8th overall in 2017.

I do know that like just about every pro football player except the most elite QBs, he is expendable and disposable, just the way the NFL likes its players to be.

Now, it's true that he isn't playing for an NFL job, per se, but as Waldo says, he certainly could suffer the kind of injury that could sideline him for an extended period of time. Dolphins safety Dick Anderson -- the best in the NFL in the early-70s -- blew out his knee in the Pro Bowl and was never the same player.

It's also true, as JWags says, that the way he would have had to play in a bowl game for Stanford probably would have made him more likely to get hurt in that game.

I certainly might be wrong, but I just can't help but feel it's a little hypocritical of McCaffrey. And as a Panthers fan, I don't want him or Kuechly (who has a history of concussions) or any Panther playing in that wretched game.

Then forget I said anything!

Agreed it's wretched. Wondering why it even exists anymore. Do fans care? Do players care? Does it even make any money? Is it even good for PR?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #466 on: January 04, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #467 on: January 04, 2019, 12:30:54 PM »

No incentives, but his deal is fully guaranteed, which probably helps.

Can't help but think your very clear feelings on the Pro Bowl are coloring your opinion of his decision  8-)  Just think hypocritical is a bit strong given the clearly stated differences in the game risks

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2019, 11:03:45 AM »
At Soldier Field this year, 8 times an opponent started a drive inside Bears territory. Those 8 drives ended in:

1 Touchdown
1 Punt
3 Field Goals
3 Interceptions

At home, they played the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 12th, 14th highest scoring offenses.

The one TD? Detroit.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #469 on: January 05, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
No incentives, but his deal is fully guaranteed, which probably helps.

Can't help but think your very clear feelings on the Pro Bowl are coloring your opinion of his decision  8-)  Just think hypocritical is a bit strong given the clearly stated differences in the game risks

Well, I certainly don't want him to play. I won't watch even a nanosecond of the "game."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #470 on: January 05, 2019, 11:09:18 PM »
Three playoff wins in 20 years.  Now we're cooking with gas!  Go Pokes.  Next week should be the drubbing where we are sent packing, meanwhile the Clapping Ginger stays on our sideline.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:45:55 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #471 on: January 05, 2019, 11:12:19 PM »
At Soldier Field this year, 8 times an opponent started a drive inside Bears territory. Those 8 drives ended in:

1 Touchdown
1 Punt
3 Field Goals
3 Interceptions

At home, they played the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 12th, 14th highest scoring offenses.

The one TD? Detroit.

That's hilarious.  Can never predict this stuff.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #472 on: January 05, 2019, 11:17:07 PM »

Hey Mike - since the Panthers decided not to play in the second half of the regular season I see no reason to end their sabbatical for the Pro Bowl!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #473 on: January 05, 2019, 11:31:09 PM »
Three playoff wins in 20 years.  Now we're cooking with gas!  Go Pokes.  Next year should be the drubbing where we are sent packing, meanwhile the Clapping Ginger stays on our sideline.  Sigh.

Aren’t you a Cardinals fan?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
Through almost 3 games this weekend, main headline is some odd coaching decisions.