[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL 2018-19 2.0  (Read 131649 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: NFL 2018-19 2.0
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
  darrell bevell anyone?  just a thought

Please hold this thought for the remainder of Badger Hate Week

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2018, 07:54:17 PM »
Mac ta CLE, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
Mac ta CLE, hey?

Yup. Enjoy being an in the pocket, outside the hashes passer Baker!

I forget what the exact numbers were but I saw some tweet after last week’s game that there were only 2 teams throwing under 50% of their passes between the hashes. The other team (can’t remember who it was) was at like 44% and then the Packers were at like 26%.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »
How about Joe Lombardi?

Go back to the well that gotcha here?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2018, 09:48:31 PM »
4 years late. But maybe there will be time to win one more title with Rodgers.

Players getting coaches fired happens in the NBA all the time. Happened with Magic, happened with Shaq and, as you like pointing out, happened more than once with LeBron. Nice to see Aaron join 'em on the list! Of course, things move much more slowly in the NFL.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2018, 10:10:27 PM »
Except a Cubs and Cardinals fan wouldn't cross a Venn Diagram

Cubs baseball and Cardinals football?  Why not?  North side, south side?   Same argument for Jets / Mets, Yankees / Giants but there are Giants fans that are Mets fans, and Jets fans that are Yankees fans.

The world isn't black and white.  There are Marquette fans that hate Wisconsin sports in everything.  Mr. Sultan appears to be a Wisconsin football fan, and there are MU fans that love ND football. 

For the same reason some guy from Akron his whole life is a Yankees fan, not the Indians.  Is also a Cowboys fan, not the Browns.  He currently plays for the Lakers after recent stints with the Cavaliers and Heat.  We all have reasons we cheer for various teams.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2018, 10:15:47 PM »
4 years late. But maybe there will be time to win one more title with Rodgers.

Not with that roster and all that money tied to Mr. Rodgers.  Tom Brady is the 16th highest paid QB, gives them flexibility. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »
Amazing win for the Chargers over the Steelers, who led big and blew it.

I have never seen any game -- NFL, USFL, WFL, CFL, AFL, arena league, college, prep, pee-wee, powder-puff, any of 'em -- end with 3 straight offside calls.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2018, 06:36:49 AM »
Cubs baseball and Cardinals football?  Why not?  North side, south side?   Same argument for Jets / Mets, Yankees / Giants but there are Giants fans that are Mets fans, and Jets fans that are Yankees fans.

The world isn't black and white.  There are Marquette fans that hate Wisconsin sports in everything.  Mr. Sultan appears to be a Wisconsin football fan, and there are MU fans that love ND football. 

For the same reason some guy from Akron his whole life is a Yankees fan, not the Indians.  Is also a Cowboys fan, not the Browns.  He currently plays for the Lakers after recent stints with the Cavaliers and Heat.  We all have reasons we cheer for various teams.

You forgot the SoCal LA Angels fan who likes the Cowboys...and Cubs and AZ Cardinals.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
My Panthers are toast for 2018. Sad, because I still think they're a pretty talented team.

I was encouraged by one thing after yesterday's desultory loss at Tampa: Cam Newton's maturity, deportment and accountability.

He had career-best accuracy this season (70% completions and only 7 INTs coming in) but he threw 4 INTs, including 2 when he was hit just as he released the football. He took full responsibility for the loss -- as he should have.

I take this one personal, running off the field in embarrassment really knowing that you’re leaving because of your mishaps. ... They played very opportunistic with my inaccuracy today. ... It hurt us. It hurt us bad.

The offensive line played poorly and Newton was asked about being under pressure most of the game.

To a degree. But they (meaning the OL) gave me opportunities. The receivers played great. You can’t just keep throwing the ball up for grabs. ...

When I look back at this game, it really comes down to protecting the football. Taking this one on the chin, it hurts, but you’ve got to keep moving forward. We just have to find ways to get back in the win column.

Now, I shouldn't have to pat a guy on the back for doing his job as the QB, face of the franchise and team leader. But given his image as an immature, me-first sulker -- in other words, a narrative from several years back -- I thought I'd throw it out here. Guys who want to mature do mature.

Still high on Cam, and looking for better things from my lads in 2019.

One of the great things about being a sports fan is we can move on to other teams in other seasons. Go Marquette!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2018, 09:51:42 AM »
Not with that roster and all that money tied to Mr. Rodgers.  Tom Brady is the 16th highest paid QB, gives them flexibility.

Rodgers contract will increase in flexibility as A) the cap continues to grow B) the quarterbacks around him generate larger contracts (there are a bunch of starting QBs on rookie contracts that will come due in the next couple of years - Wentz, Goff, Dak, Trubisky, Watson). Additionally, while it sucks the Packers are going to get a lot younger over the next couple of years so if they draft well their roster will be made of a lot of rookie contracts during the remainder of the Rodgers era.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2018, 10:10:22 AM »
Amazing win for the Chargers over the Steelers, who led big and blew it.

I have never seen any game -- NFL, USFL, WFL, CFL, AFL, arena league, college, prep, pee-wee, powder-puff, any of 'em -- end with 3 straight offside calls.

Actually, I think it is an excellent strategy for a game-ending short FG. Odds are huge that you will lose the game anyway, so try to time the snap perfectly to get a block.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »
Actually, I think it is an excellent strategy for a game-ending short FG. Odds are huge that you will lose the game anyway, so try to time the snap perfectly to get a block.

I didn't say it was bad strategy, brand. Indeed, I would have tried anything and everything to keep that kick from going through.

I simply said I had never before seen a game end on three offside penalties, which made it a bizarre spectacle.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
Yes, there are Cardinals fans still in Chicago, whether you believe it or not.  Dated article, and the numbers are small, but not gone.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2009-01-27-0901260675-story.html

There are pockets of Packer fans here that their fathers and grandfathers taught to cheer for because they blamed Halas for orchestrating the Cardinals departure.

When the Cards come to Chicago there are still parties for fans of the team that the fan club will put on.  We have attended several of them over the years, small gatherings.  There are a few fan pages and social media destinations with information if you are interested in attending.

My wife's grandfather, who passed in April, remained a (football) Cardinal fan despite living in Chicago for his whole life.  The sons and grandsons flew him to AZ for a game a few years back, and the joke yesterday was that Grandpa was happy because the Cardinals won and the Bears lost.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2018, 11:46:33 AM »

100% agree, at that yardage, who cares if they keep getting 5 yards closer, try to keep timing the snap. Thought it was brilliant.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
100% agree, at that yardage, who cares if they keep getting 5 yards closer, try to keep timing the snap. Thought it was brilliant.

I don't know .... what are the odds of perfectly timing the snap AND getting a block. versus getting lucky and having the kicker miss? Remember, if you jump outside offside and he misses, you give him another shot, effing yourself in the process (see: last night's game). Also, I suspect flag-happy NFL officials aren't going to be super accurate on whether the running start was perfectly timed. If they see what looks like a lot of forward movement before the snap, they're throwing a flag.
The conversion rate on XPs this year is 95 percent, fwiw.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:24:30 PM by Pakuni »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
I don't know .... what are the odds of perfectly timing the snap AND getting a block. versus getting lucky and having the kicker miss? Remember, if you jump outside and he misses, you give him another shot, effing yourself in the process (see: last night's game). Also, I suspect flag-happy NFL officials aren't going to be super accurate on whether the running start was accurately timed. If they see what looks like a lot of forward movement before the snap, they're throwing a flag.
The conversion rate on XPs this year is 95 percent, fwiw.

I thought that first kick was good. I know it’s not reviewable, but I thought it sailed in just before going over.

I liked that the Steelers were committed to it and kept trying. You can still try to time the snap and have the kicker miss. You also mess with the kicker, snapper, holder knowing an all out attack is coming. I liked it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »
I didn't say it was bad strategy, brand. Indeed, I would have tried anything and everything to keep that kick from going through.

I simply said I had never before seen a game end on three offside penalties, which made it a bizarre spectacle.

I didn't mean it as an argument to your point of never seeing it before. I don't think any of us have.

I think we agree on both points.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
Am I crazy to think it would be a great idea for the Packers to retain Mike Pettine as DC, hire Kliff Kingsburry as OC, and then find a "team manager" HC who handles the in-game decision making(but not play calling), game prep, etc and coaches the Special Teams?

I think it's much harder to find an HC who can run the offense along with everything else than to find a talent OC and a talent HC.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
Am I crazy to think it would be a great idea for the Packers to retain Mike Pettine as DC, hire Kliff Kingsburry as OC, and then find a "team manager" HC who handles the in-game decision making(but not play calling), game prep, etc and coaches the Special Teams?

I think it's much harder to find an HC who can run the offense along with everything else than to find a talent OC and a talent HC.

Yes, that would never work. You might as well just name Rodgers player/coach. That proposed power structure would never work in the NFL.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
Yes, that would never work. You might as well just name Rodgers player/coach. That proposed power structure would never work in the NFL.

Wait, are you saying every HC in the NFL calls offensive plays?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »
So Mark Murphy will make the next hire. Has a Packers team president ever been this involved in the football operation before?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
Wait, are you saying every HC in the NFL calls offensive plays?

No, I'm saying that power structure you proposed would be crazy.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2018, 02:10:50 PM »
So Mark Murphy will make the next hire. Has a Packers team president ever been this involved in the football operation before?

Nope, the Packers essentially have a team owner for the first time ever. After Lombardi, all football roles reported to the GM with the GM reporting to the board and Team president. Once TT was ousted (2 years too late IMO) the board reworked the structure in conjunction with Murphy to make all major football roles (GM, HC, and director of football operations) report to the president.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
No, I'm saying that power structure you proposed would be crazy.

Why? Take the names out of it, how is an OC that runs the offense, DC that runs the defense and an HC that manages all of it + in-game decisions a unique power structure in the NFL?