Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crowd Expectations for UMBC Game?  (Read 17711 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Crowd Expectations for UMBC Game?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
While it's the "first game" for mubb .. I'll wager that 90% of the (non-students) in the building have already visited the Chaluparena, i.e., the novelty has worn off and the desire to go out to an 8pm Tuesday game against a bottom 100 team is very low.  Not to mention there's a chunk of people who are eager to watch election results tonight.

As for the students .. they already showed their hand for the exhibition game .. very low turnout, maybe 1/3rd full.

I'll guess announced will be 14k .. butts in seats around 7k .. like usual.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
While it's the "first game" for mubb .. I'll wager that 90% of the (non-students) in the building have already visited the Chaluparena, i.e., the novelty has worn off and the desire to go out to an 8pm Tuesday game against a bottom 100 team is very low.  Not to mention there's a chunk of people who are eager to watch election results tonight.

As for the students .. they already showed their hand for the exhibition game .. very low turnout, maybe 1/3rd full.

This, the election will probably impact the crowd as a whole.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 07:56:58 AM »
This, the election will probably impact the crowd as a whole.

You can vote, go to game and results will be coming in after game is over. But yeah I guess many will be watching results from early exit polling, no matta.
Goal is National Championship

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 08:00:35 AM »

You can vote, go to game and results will be coming in after game is over. But yeah I guess many will be watching results from early exit polling, no matta.

Hopefully the game is a blowout so MU fans can get in on the early exit action.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »

Lloyd will be there.  Home Opener in the new arena. Haven't been inside yet, so I'm looking very forward to it. 

With knuckleheaded nephew who waited too long to get student tickets this year (and he's a junior who should have known better), so he will be stuck in sweater-vest territory. 

It will be nice to avoid the election night histrionics and uncertainties, and instead just hear actual outcomes on the drive back to Chicago after the game.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 08:07:55 AM »
Lloyd will be there.  Home Opener in the new arena. Haven't been inside yet, so I'm looking very forward to it. 

With knuckleheaded nephew who waited too long to get student tickets this year (and he's a junior who should have known better), so he will be stuck in sweater-vest territory. 

It will be nice to avoid the election night histrionics and uncertainties, and instead just hear actual outcomes on the drive back to Chicago after the game.

That's exactly how I feel too.  Some may tune in.  Many wish it would just stop.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »
Windy, rainy, blustery votin' dey here. Know lines and nothin' butt old, sweata-vested folks at da pollin' spots, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »
Last year opener vs Mount St. Mary had an official # of 13324.  I'd imagine it'd have to be more than that this year with the new arena and playing UMBC, which is having it's moment to shine after their stunning upset.   15k at least is my guess.

As for brunch, Cafe Beneflux for sure.   Easy to get to now since the new street car can pick you up and drop you off within 1 block of both your hotel and the restaurant. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 08:54:06 AM »

Eating at Arby's again?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2018, 08:56:48 AM »
I'd be really disappointed by the fanbase if the opening game of what could be a great season, in a brand new arena results in less than 10K in the arena.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wojoswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
The Kimpton's Tre Rivali in the 3rd Ward is really good for breakfast, lunch and dinner/

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2018, 09:05:36 AM »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
Why is there still no spread for this game
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »

I agree. It's just a mid-term. Go vote and enjoy the game. Everyone has smartphone to find updates.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »
I agree. It's just a mid-term. Go vote and enjoy the game. Everyone has smartphone to find updates.
Voted early a couple weeks ago and will check results on my iPhone. 

PS, though it is one of the more interesting/significant mid-terms in memory.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2018, 09:55:14 AM »

Many spreads for the regular season don't get put out for some many lower D1 leagues.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
I'd be really disappointed by the fanbase if the opening game of what could be a great season, in a brand new arena results in less than 10K in the arena.

Prepare for disappointment.

In fact, that's probably a good frame of mind for everything that occurs today in America.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/marquette/EN/buy/details/18MB1106

It appears to be filling up.
Not the best way to look at it. If you look at the map for season ticket/mini plans, the seats the looked sold for UMBC are open for season ticket/mini plans.
-Bill Walton

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2018, 10:22:33 AM »
Driving up from Chicago (St Charles actually) with my grandson after his school day.  Hope there is a decent crowd....

Oh hey. That's where I grew up. See you there.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »

:o
Goal is National Championship

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »

Because there is no interest in this game in Vegas

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »

Eh.  Don't schedule an a$$ team on Election Day if you care about the size of your opening day crowd.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2018, 10:35:36 AM »
Was talking to Glow and he reminded me of something rather important.

Friendly reminder for fellow FIBs if you haven't been up to Milwaukee in awhile. There's about 25 straight miles of construction each way on 94. Down to two lanes and super, super narrow.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2018, 10:38:53 AM »

Eh.  Don't schedule an a$$ team on Election Day if you care about the size of your opening day crowd.

If someone is not going to a sporting event because of Mid-Term Election Day, might need to re judge their life.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »
If someone is not going to a sporting event because of Mid-Term Election Day, might need to re judge their life.

Or, it's a Tuesday.

feedback