[Today at 08:02:10 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:58:29 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Goose
[Today at 07:46:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Observations from the FF Open Practice tonight  (Read 12555 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Observations from the FF Open Practice tonight
« on: October 26, 2018, 12:14:52 AM »
1.  Bailey & McEwen - wow!  Better than advertised.  Koby - reminds me of Russell Westbrook at UCLA, when Russ was still a pup.  Brendan - very comfortable on the floor, can shoot, has size, will be an excellent player for us sooner than later. 
2.  Joey a weapon on offense, not the athlete Brendan is, but neither is Sam and he manages to do ok.
3.  Chartouney walked in right at the end with a backpack.  I was interested in seeing him play.  Soon enough.
4.  Ike isn't part of the 10 man rotation at this point, as expected.
5.  Elliot ran with the team, but has a cast on his hand.  Very engaged.
6.  Cain - played stronger.  A couple above the rim rebounds in traffic.  Competitor on both ends.
7.  Sam - excited to see him healthy.  Rock solid.
8.  Sacar - played fast, strong and his shot continues to improve.
9.  Morrow & Theo - battled on the glass and defensively.  Neither did much offensively other than kicking it out to 3 point shooters.  Nobody will push us around for the next 2 years.
10. Matt - great teammate and leader.
11.  Marcus - stronger, healthy.  Yep, we're good there.

Honestly, I am very excited about this team.  I don't expect Ike to get much run, and with McEwen sitting out and Greg injured to start the season - we have 10 high major players ready to go!  This team is going to win a lot of games.  If Koby were eligible, we'd have the look of a top 10 team.  But, since he's not, I think Top 20 this season is realistic.  With no defections and good health, we are looking at an elite team next season. 

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Re: Observations from the FF Open Practice tonight
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 12:22:13 AM »
I thought Marcus didn’t play very well.  His shot was off, and it seemed like Koby could get around him at will.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:35 AM »
Keep in mind Markus and Sam were in NYC this morning then flew back and started practicing right away. Long day for them

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:34:19 AM »
Markus was forced to play point with Joseph not there.  I thought Markus competed hard.  He didn't have too many open looks, as Koby really got into him.  Koby is REALLY good. 

I'm not worried about Markus.  Offensively, he's one of the best guards in the country.

Did I mention Koby is fast, strong, has a great handle, court vision and can shoot?

And, the Forum is beautiful.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:45:18 AM by 94Warrior »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 01:00:28 AM »
I also liked the way Greg was doing everything he could to participate, such as passing the ball into the 2-on-2 P&R drills and encouraging his teammates. I'm sure he wants to get back on the court as soon as possible. But he's still involved and contributing while he's out.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »
1.  Bailey & McEwen - wow!  Better than advertised.  Koby - reminds me of Russell Westbrook at UCLA, when Russ was still a pup.  Brendan - very comfortable on the floor, can shoot, has size, will be an excellent player for us sooner than later. 
2.  Joey a weapon on offense, not the athlete Brendan is, but neither is Sam and he manages to do ok.
3.  Chartouney walked in right at the end with a backpack.  I was interested in seeing him play.  Soon enough.
4.  Ike isn't part of the 10 man rotation at this point, as expected.
5.  Elliot ran with the team, but has a cast on his hand.  Very engaged.
6.  Cain - played stronger.  A couple above the rim rebounds in traffic.  Competitor on both ends.
7.  Sam - excited to see him healthy.  Rock solid.
8.  Sacar - played fast, strong and his shot continues to improve.
9.  Morrow & Theo - battled on the glass and defensively.  Neither did much offensively other than kicking it out to 3 point shooters.  Nobody will push us around for the next 2 years.
10. Matt - great teammate and leader.
11.  Marcus - stronger, healthy.  Yep, we're good there.

Honestly, I am very excited about this team.  I don't expect Ike to get much run, and with McEwen sitting out and Greg injured to start the season - we have 10 high major players ready to go!  This team is going to win a lot of games.  If Koby were eligible, we'd have the look of a top 10 team.  But, since he's not, I think Top 20 this season is realistic.  With no defections and good health, we are looking at an elite team next season.

Item #1 really jumped out at me. Koby looks to be the real deal and Bailey will get significant minutes this year right off the bat.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »
Item #1 really jumped out at me. Koby looks to be the real deal and Bailey will get significant minutes this year right off the bat.

First time I saw him, I thought he had NBA potential.  Reason is his body is NBA ready.  He can create his own shot, and has very nice hops.  MU will be good this
year, even better next year.  Team will be one year older.  Markus looked tired and so did Sam.  MU has bigs, Theo is a man and Morrow is not far behind.  MU can
play long and physical, you can play Markus, Bailey, Sam,  Cain, and Theo.  Very long!

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »
Sounds like we hit a home run with Koby.  Was he a Stan connection from Utah State?  Koby's mixtape video from Utah State showed he had all the tools you could want in a PG.  As a result, I wasn't too concerned about us losing Nico Mannion.  Team chemistry matters, and having had Mannion on the roster would have really made for a crowded backcourt next year.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
Stan is friends with Louis Wilson.He was assistant at Utah State.He is now at Grand Canyon University

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »
I worry about many things........but not Markus Howard missing some shots at a practice.

I'm sure they are looking forward to playing against somebody else at this point.

Don_Kojis

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
Joey looked very good from the outside.   Koby looks smooth but his shot needs a little better.  Who was the walk on forward who kept on hitting from the outside?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 07:39:00 PM »
Joey looked very good from the outside.   Koby looks smooth but his shot needs a little better.  Who was the walk on forward who kept on hitting from the outside?

I didn't attend the practice, but my guess is that it was Buddy Jaffee.
Have some patience, FFS.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »

I'm Guessing Tommy Gardiner
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
First one of these that I have missed (due to work travel) and was looking forward to reading the scoop feedback. Thanks!! Looking forward to the exhibition game against Carroll.

rico49

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »
I know that the casual fan last night was ALL about the offense, but what really impressed my was the defensive intensity.  The MU 2018 team ALL looked like they had been drilled in defensive position readiness by the coaching staff!  Last year the team had many defensive challenges and were on the soft side, except for Matt.  The offense is well above average for a Marquette team, but I believe that the coaches are now so focused on individual and team defense and rotations that ”D” is becoming a “culture”, not just something you do until you Get the ball!  The “O” will get us into the NCAA Tourney, but the “D” will also get us to Sweet 16 or better... “the more tools in the toolbox will fix the ‘breakdowns’ of the past”!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 10:34:07 PM »
First one of these that I have missed (due to work travel) and was looking forward to reading the scoop feedback. Thanks!! Looking forward to the exhibition game against Carroll.
See #10—all you need to know.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »

It was Davante's brother, Tommy Gardiner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »
I know that the casual fan last night was ALL about the offense, but what really impressed my was the defensive intensity.  The MU 2018 team ALL looked like they had been drilled in defensive position readiness by the coaching staff!  Last year the team had many defensive challenges and were on the soft side, except for Matt.  The offense is well above average for a Marquette team, but I believe that the coaches are now so focused on individual and team defense and rotations that ”D” is becoming a “culture”, not just something you do until you Get the ball!  The “O” will get us into the NCAA Tourney, but the “D” will also get us to Sweet 16 or better... “the more tools in the toolbox will fix the ‘breakdowns’ of the past”!

By what metric are you defining this?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 11:15:32 PM »
By what metric are you defining this?

Skin moisturizing. Last year’s team were notorious moisturizers.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »
It was Davante's brother, Tommy Gardiner.

Did you mean Avante's brother or did he play D?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »

Yep, it was Gardiner.

Our walk-ons as a group played pretty well.  There was even a moment when Cam broke down Markus off the dribble.  No, that didn't make me happy.  Again, Sammy and Markus had spent the day traveling.  But early on they were each a little 'off'.  Once they got their juices flowing they were fine.  Wojo didn't seem worried.

Actually Wojo was off his game too and allowed himself to forget he was on mike letting loose a giant F-bomb that echoed throughout the building with young impressionables and their diaper bag toting mommies within easy earshot.  Everyone moved on instantly.  Some might not have even caught it.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »
Skin moisturizing. Last year’s team were notorious moisturizers.

Nobody gave this one credit.  I laughed.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »
Yep, it was Gardiner.

Our walk-ons as a group played pretty well.  There was even a moment when Cam broke down Markus off the dribble.  No, that didn't make me happy.  Again, Sammy and Markus had spent the day traveling.  But early on they were each a little 'off'.  Once they got their juices flowing they were fine.  Wojo didn't seem worried.

Actually Wojo was off his game too and allowed himself to forget he was on mike letting loose a giant F-bomb that echoed throughout the building with young impressionables and their diaper bag toting mommies within easy earshot.  Everyone moved on instantly.  Some might not have even caught it.

Thanks for that Glow, looks like we have a very Solid roster all the way to the end of the bench.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Thanks for that Glow, looks like we have a very Solid roster all the way to the end of the bench.

I take all the credit.  (Remember, there was maybe 1000 folks there and I was sitting in the 'Dr. Lovell seats' down low with some buddies.)  There was a loose ball and Joey didn't dive on it while Matty did.  I screamed 'Get on the ball Freshman!' loud enough to be easily heard.  Joey looked up, couldn't quite pick me out, and knowingly nodded affirmatively.  Matty gave him an encouraging pat on the butt.  We're ready.   :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:48:54 AM by jsglow »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
I take all the credit.  (Remember, there was maybe 1000 folks there and I was sitting in the 'Dr. Lovell seats' down low with some buddies.)  There was a loose ball and Joey didn't dive on it while Matty did.  I screamed 'Get on the ball Freshman!' loud enough to be easily heard.  Joey looked up, couldn't quite pick me out, and knowingly nodded affirmatively.  Matty gave him an encouraging pat on the butt.  We're ready.   :)

I think these are the small stories that kinda flesh out this thread, Thanks.  I still remember your story of bumping into Wojo as the storming of the court occurred during the Nova game.