Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Observations from the FF Open Practice tonight  (Read 12467 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Observations from the FF Open Practice tonight
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
I think these are the small stories that kinda flesh out this thread, Thanks.  I still remember your story of bumping into Wojo as the storming of the court occurred during the Nova game.

Chick still tells that story, among many others, like of putting her feet up on Wojo's desk during an open house!  Watching on TV is fine.  Being part of the experience in the building, even if only as an alum fan, is better.   :)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2018, 01:15:13 PM »
Chick still tells that story, among many others, like of putting her feet up on Wojo's desk during an open house!  Watching on TV is fine.  Being part of the experience in the building, even if only as an alum fan, is better.   :)

Thanks.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 06:15:15 PM »
I take all the credit.  (Remember, there was maybe 1000 folks there and I was sitting in the 'Dr. Lovell seats' down low with some buddies.)  There was a loose ball and Joey didn't dive on it while Matty did.  I screamed 'Get on the ball Freshman!' loud enough to be easily heard.  Joey looked up, couldn't quite pick me out, and knowingly nodded affirmatively.  Matty gave him an encouraging pat on the butt.  We're ready.   :)

I hope you weren't the a-hole that was continually yelling at Joey to move his feet on defense, dive on loose balls, etc?  Whoever that was, was acting as if he was 'coach for the night'.  My favorite part of the night was when this loudmouth was was telling his buddy that our 5'6" ASSISTANT VIDEO COORDINATOR was Greg Elliot.  And, his buddy astutely pointed out, "Isn't Elliot taller than that?"  The two of them spent the next 5 minutes questioning whether that in fact was Greg.  The whole time Greg was running sprints on the far side of the court - lol!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 06:51:36 PM »
I hope you weren't the a-hole that was continually yelling at Joey to move his feet on defense, dive on loose balls, etc?  Whoever that was, was acting as if he was 'coach for the night'.  My favorite part of the night was when this loudmouth was was telling his buddy that our 5'6" ASSISTANT VIDEO COORDINATOR was Greg Elliot.  And, his buddy astutely pointed out, "Isn't Elliot taller than that?"  The two of them spent the next 5 minutes questioning whether that in fact was Greg.  The whole time Greg was running sprints on the far side of the court - lol!

Glow knows who Greg Elliot is.
Have some patience, FFS.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »
Ha!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »
Greg had the big blue cast on.  It was nice to see him participating as much as he could.  I think he even took one of the kid's half court shots as I recall.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »
I for one am glad that the prized frosh with the history of concussions didn't dive on the floor during a practice.

Otherwise, thanks to all for the info. Nice to hear all this good stuff about our 27th-ranked Warrior Eagles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »
Greg had the big blue cast on.  It was nice to see him participating as much as he could.  I think he even took one of the kid's half court shots as I recall.
He did.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 06:52:03 AM »
Was Koby highly regarded or is he one of these under the radar players that developed later. He sounds like he is a surprisingly better player than expected from those who have seen him in practice.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 07:43:40 AM »
Was Koby highly regarded or is he one of these under the radar players that developed later. He sounds like he is a surprisingly better player than expected from those who have seen him in practice.

Offers from Baylor, Ole Miss, Wake Forest, Utah St, Middle Tennessee State according to 247. Based on that I'd guess he was regarded as a potential high major player but not an impact player.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »

Iirc,  he was return in the top 100 by at least one service. He was Utah States highest rated commit in awhile. It is easy for Canadian players to get overlooked in high school
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
Iirc,  he was return in the top 100 by at least one service. He was Utah States highest rated commit in awhile. It is easy for Canadian players to get overlooked in high school

You'd think they'd be underlooked since they play way up der, dontcha know?

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »
I'm Guessing Tommy Gardiner
This is correct

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »
lol i heard this as well. THIS WAS HILARIOUS

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
He went to a solid school in the Mountain West and performed very well. So I think it is more of a case that he was expected to be a strong player and he picked a school  that had a system to fit him and conference where he could get immediate playing time and out perform.  set forth below is an article describing the situation.

When the coach left he decided to reevaluate and has upgraded the conference level he is playing at.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-state-sports/2018/03/31/utah-state-star-point-guard-koby-mcewen-will-transfer-in-the-wake-of-new-coaching-hire/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 05:49:43 PM »
Koby looked really good to me.  Was disappointed not to get a chance to see Joseph but that'll happen tomorrow.

feedback