Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steele Article on Heldt  (Read 9598 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

LoudMouth

• All American
Re: Steele Article on Heldt
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »
Matt Heldt will go down as one of the best triers in Marquette basketball history...wouldn't be surprised to see him taking a position with the team shortly after graduation just to teach teamwork. If not, he will be going in the golden eagle for a career as our mascot, whatever it takes to help the team

All around great person that genuinely loves our school and would never dream of transferring to further his "career"

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »
Matt Heldt will go down as one of the best triers in Marquette basketball history...

Even better than Von Trier's??!
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
Matt Heldt will go down as one of the best triers in Marquette basketball history...wouldn't be surprised to see him taking a position with the team shortly after graduation just to teach teamwork. If not, he will be going in the golden eagle for a career as our mascot, whatever it takes to help the team

All around great person that genuinely loves our school and would never dream of transferring to further his "career"

Funny I heard he is going to start a camp for kids specializing in the techniques of pick and roll defense and half court shots.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »

No, we will become the Milkmen

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »
Or he'll go to law school.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »
No, we will become the Milkmen

I'm in with that.  Got Heldt?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »
“I think we have a securely established culture of guys,” Heldt said. “All our guys are guys Coach Wojo recruited and wanted here. All our guys are guys that we, as older guys, when a guy visited the coaches asked us if we wanted them, how they fit in with us"

Thinly veiled shot at QG?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
“I think we have a securely established culture of guys,” Heldt said. “All our guys are guys Coach Wojo recruited and wanted here. All our guys are guys that we, as older guys, when a guy visited the coaches asked us if we wanted them, how they fit in with us"

I would be very surprised and a little concerned if QG was still on the teams mind over a year later.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
I would be very surprised and a little concerned if QG was still on the teams mind over a year later.

Agreed, but if he were asked about the culture of the program, and that was the most extreme example of someone taking an official and just having bad chemistry with existing players, he could very well be referencing it.  Especially with how things may be ending up for QG and Kansas.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
Agreed, but if he were asked about the culture of the program, and that was the most extreme example of someone taking an official and just having bad chemistry with existing players, he could very well be referencing it.  Especially with how things may be ending up for QG and Kansas.

I think a lot of assumptions have been made about what happened with QG.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 11:25:51 AM »

I think QG told the MU players no at the start of his visit, hey?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 11:27:23 AM »
I think a lot of assumptions have been made about what happened with QG.
True, but I think most of those are based on the program that he ended up at, and the "concerns" that said program is currently undergoing regarding recruiting.  BD also hinted that there was more to the story than just losing a recruiting battle before he was run off.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »

Probably not, but if he were asking players questions that implied he wanted a little something on the side, there's no doubt that they told Wojo about it.  No insider info, and not trying to imply that anything like that happened, just pointing out, that there are any number of reasons why someone wouldn't be a good cultural fit.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 11:32:22 AM »
BD also hinted that there was more to the story than just losing a recruiting battle before he was run off.

You know I was looking through his posts the other day and it seems he actually was handling Heisenberg's BS pretty well and continued to give information. It wasn't till March 10th when he said Sam will need surgery or "the #10 model car will have to be taken into the shop" that he stopped posting. Additionally he hasn't been active since late August. I wonder if he was asked to stop posting?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 12:12:11 PM »

I think this is ancient history. I think I don't give a rip about QG. And I think I would have enjoyed beating Kansas - like we're gonna do - even if they didn't have QG.

As for what this thread actually is about ...

I liked the Wojo quotes Ben Steele used right at the end:

“Matt may start for us. Matt may be a guy who plays eight minutes for us. I don’t know. That will all be determined based on practice and what group out there gives us the best chance to win. But what I do know is that whatever role Matt has, he’s all in it – 100% – for Marquette basketball. And as a coach, you just can’t help but love and root for a guy like that.”

That perfectly summarizes Heldt's role on the team.

I still think we will be a better team if Heldt is averaging 10-15 minutes. That will mean other players with more skills have stepped up to also be able to do some of the little things Heldt does well. But I have come to appreciate him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »

Herro?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
Herro?

I originally thought of him, but did Herro ever take an official?  I know a lot of the guys (especially WI kids) knew him, but to me, it sounds like he could be referencing someone who took a more organized visit.  We could also all just have our tin foil hats on too tight, and Matt is just talking about the great chemistry between everyone currently there.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »
I originally thought of him, but did Herro ever take an official?  I know a lot of the guys (especially WI kids) knew him, but to me, it sounds like he could be referencing someone who took a more organized visit.  We could also all just have our tin foil hats on too tight, and Matt is just talking about the great chemistry between everyone currently there.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »

Per BD the Hauser's were not thrilled about having him in the team

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »

I'd take it at face value.  Matt is simply speaking to the "securely established culture of guys," point he made in the first sentence.  Sounds like he and the other upperclassmen appreciate that they get input into how prospective recruits seem to fit in with the existing culture, and culture Wojo is trying to cultivate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 03:59:17 PM »
I'd take it at face value.  Matt is simply speaking to the "securely established culture of guys," point he made in the first sentence.  Sounds like he and the other upperclassmen appreciate that they get input into how prospective recruits seem to fit in with the existing culture, and culture Wojo is trying to cultivate.

Yeah I read it the same way.  I don't think he's taking veiled shots at anyone here. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 06:34:13 PM »

Yeah I read it the same way.  I don't think he's taking veiled shots at anyone here.
I didn't see it as a direct shot to Herro. I think that it was probably the main factor we really didn't go after him, input from team. In this case Hauser, at least that was BD's info.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 02:01:24 PM »
Wow, Matty Heldt shot 64 plus percent? Sadly, I don't feel bad screaming “dunk it” when he head fakes and double head fakes three footers.  Honestly, a solid roll player with intangibles that keep him on the court.  Hustles up and down the court.