Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: G-League to offer $125K to top high school players  (Read 23722 times)

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: G-League to offer $125K to top high school players
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »
Good, if these guys don't want to play college ball, there are alternatives.  Have at it.  You want to play ball, get recognized and earn a degree, college sports is a great option, too.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2018, 11:20:19 PM »
I doubt it. A few junkies will tune in, but the college following comes from years of fan loyalty. It'll take a long time, decades if ever, before anyone cares about the G League.

For comparison, look at the baseball minors. How many people tuned in for Bryce Harper or Kris Bryant when they were in the minors?
For comparison, how many people watch college baseball? Maybe it's mutual destructive but in the end more people just watch NBA instead of watered down college?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2018, 11:23:44 PM »
Players already have the option of playing overseas straight out of high school. For NBA lottery prospects, chances are they'll earn far more than $175,000 a year. Brandon Jennings, Emmanuel Mudiay, Terrence Ferguson and others have gone this route. Not sure how much this will really impact college basketball.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:03:43 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
Players already have the option of playing overseas straight out of high school. For NBA lottery prospects, chances are they'll earn far more than $175,000 a year. Brandon Jennings, Emmanuel Mudiay, Terrence Ferguson and others have gone this route. Not sure how much this will really impact college basketball.

Yea but you have kids who have never left the country or come from varied backgrounds, and you’re asking them to move to a diff country and a diff language and a diff culture at 18. It’s potentially very overwhelming.

This alternative keeps you in the US and in an NBA affiliated league. Makes sense for a lot of kids

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2018, 09:32:55 AM »
G League teams average about 2400 in attendance.  That's their main revenue stream...  Say a team hooks up with a shoe company and gets a bit of "sponsorship" some of which goes to the players... Say a team in order to get more eyeballs recruits the top 3-5 local high school prospects each year.  Suddenly they are getting 4000+ in attendance because local people want to see the local kids.  Then the shoe money goes up and the players get a little more.... and the G league gets more attractive to play in and more attractive to watch.  It's still a niche - but a bigger niche.  They get more viewers online and that increases the attractiveness further to advertisers...

I'll be the first to admit I watch my favorite MU and other CBB players in the G league, and if I lived near a team I'd go to a game and I'd take the family - especially if there was local interest. 

If Milwaukee's G league team had Vander and Hank and Jamil and Deonte (local H.S. guys) I would be very keen to watch... much more than a bunch of random "almost good enough" guys. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »

But maybe some of these kids didn't really want to go overseas. Maybe if they had a $125K alternative, they would have stayed here.

I do agree with your last line. There will be minimal effect on college hoops IMHO. Maybe even zero.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1052976405674414080

@EvanDaniels
Following Following @EvanDaniels
More
Asked a NBA agent if he would ever advise a prospect to skip college for a year in the G League. Response: "Never."

12:35 PM - 18 Oct 2018
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »
https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1052976405674414080

@EvanDaniels
Following Following @EvanDaniels
More
Asked a NBA agent if he would ever advise a prospect to skip college for a year in the G League. Response: "Never."

12:35 PM - 18 Oct 2018
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2018, 02:38:15 PM »
And a whole different side to the story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/wnba-players-call-out-new-g-league-contracts-and-they-have-a-point/ar-BBOBkyQ?li=BBnba9I

When the wnba isn't completely subsidized   by their partner nba teams, when people actually show up to the games, and when people actually care about their product they can have an argument. Until then they are still making a decent living relative to others.

And I really chuckled about the tweets saying the girls could hang with g leaguers.  No.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
When the wnba isn't completely subsidized   by their partner nba teams, when people actually show up to the games, and when people actually care about their product they can have an argument. Until then they are still making a decent living relative to others.

And I really chuckled about the tweets saying the girls could hang with g leaguers.  No.

To be fair everything you just said is true about the GLeague to. The 20-30% of revenue they make vs 50% for men's isn't good
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2018, 02:46:41 PM »
To be fair everything you just said is true about the GLeague to. The 20-30% of revenue they make vs 50% for men's isn't good

And to be fair, the WNBA is more popular than the G-League if you go be attendance figures.

WNBA 2017 average attendance: 7,716

G-League 2017-18 average attendance: about 1,500.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2018, 02:56:58 PM »

But the G League is just a minor league for the NBA. Were talking about players who the NBA thinks are going to be top of the draft class type players. In reality were more talking about the nba then the actual statistics of the Gleague.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
But the G League is just a minor league for the NBA. Were talking about players who the NBA thinks are going to be top of the draft class type players. In reality were more talking about the nba then the actual statistics of the Gleague.

That doesn't quite address the 20-30% vs 50% revenue share 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »

Not really because the players in question are not NBA players.  There is no guaranty that they will ever sign NBA contracts.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2018, 03:03:58 PM »
That doesn't quite address the 20-30% vs 50% revenue share

Seems like a strike could fix that for the women. But my argument is that of twitter remarks saying its unfair a high school senior will make more than a veteran wnba.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »

Not really because the players in question are not NBA players.  There is no guaranty that they will ever sign NBA contracts.

"the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft"

They are targeting the top of the top. The guys we know 100% are going in the top 5-10 in the draft, the ones who have no question they are one and dones. I highly doubt any of these players the Gleague signs will ever not get drafted barring a career ending injury.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
"the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft"

They are targeting the top of the top. The guys we know 100% are going in the top 5-10 in the draft, the ones who have no question they are one and dones. I highly doubt any of these players the Gleague signs will ever not get drafted barring a career ending injury.

So?  What does that have to do with the value of the contracts you are offering G-League players, whose league is subsidized just as much if not moreso, than the WNBA is?  (Which was the basis for your initial diatribe.)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »
Seems like a strike could fix that for the women. But my argument is that of twitter remarks saying its unfair a high school senior will make more than a veteran wnba.

say someone like Brian Bowen or Cliff Alexander we're making this money at 18 only to find out they suck... if you were a multiple time WNBA all star you'd be a bit peeved I'm sure
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
Has it been announced how many select contracts there are?

Also, there are 5-star recruits every year that end up never getting drafted. On top of that there are some that aren't ready to be drafted after one year. And on top of that there are always many who get drafted but then don't pan out. Some of the people who have expressed concern about players going straight to the g-league have pointed out that players might get exposed going against players older than them and hurt their draft status.

Now I'm not making an argument on the whole WNBA vs. G-league thing, I just don't think we can guarantee that every player who gets a select contract will end up getting drafted.
TAMU

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
And fundamentally, where is it wrong to say that a 22-35 year old woman, probably with a college degree, is not worth more than a recent high school graduate?

The high schoolers are being paid for their potential, and no, more people would not show up at G-League games if they went there.  They also would be unlikely to get exposure on National TV in Prime Time.  It's a silly idea.  But it is also probably a silly idea to draft all but a handful of recent HS grads into the NBA and hand them three year contracts worth up to $15 million or more.  Maybe instead of G-League contracts, pay the kids with the most potential to become a red-shirt NBA player.  Or the equivalent of the NFL practice squad.  There has to be a better way than to stick these kids into a minor league with little or no development opportunity.  Note that they change the name from the D-League to the G-League. $$ (sponsorship) means more to the NBA than development.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2018, 03:17:23 PM »
So?  What does that have to do with the value of the contracts you are offering G-League players, whose league is subsidized just as much if not moreso, than the WNBA is?  (Which was the basis for your initial diatribe.)

The NBA is banking on these players making the millions upon millions during their careers. The "subsidizing" you are referring to is completely different. The WNBA is subsidized with zero return. The NBA will see a return on it's investment the same as an MLB team supporting a AA team.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2018, 03:19:10 PM »
Has it been announced how many select contracts there are?

Also, there are 5-star recruits every year that end up never getting drafted. On top of that there are some that aren't ready to be drafted after one year. And on top of that there are always many who get drafted but then don't pan out. Some of the people who have expressed concern about players going straight to the g-league have pointed out that players might get exposed going against players older than them and hurt their draft status.

Now I'm not making an argument on the whole WNBA vs. G-league thing, I just don't think we can guarantee that every player who gets a select contract will end up getting drafted.

It would be the exact same case as HE. Drafting on potential not current skill. The NBA is moving towards a developmental mentality. And these kids will get much better teaching in the G league then college.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
The NBA is banking on these players making the millions upon millions during their careers. The "subsidizing" you are referring to is completely different. The WNBA is subsidized with zero return. The NBA will see a return on it's investment the same as an MLB team supporting a AA team.

No it's the subsidizing *YOU* referred to in your initial post.  You're in the process of shifting goalposts now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »

That's not an apples to apples comparison. The NBA will be paying for these contracts whereas individual teams pay for the contracts of MLB minor leaguers. MLB teams directly benefit because they control the minor leaguer who can make their major league team better. The NBA doesn't really benefit from a player playing in the G-League. As long as the teams all have full rosters, the NBA makes money. So given that the WNBA is better attended and watched than the G-League, I would say the NBA gets a better return the WNBA.

Now, this all changes if the g-league does get a 1:1 minor to major league team and the teams start paying these contracts. Then it makes more sense.
TAMU