[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: AP Preseason Ranking  (Read 26897 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: AP Preseason Ranking
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
Who cares?

I think caring about how your team is perceived at this - or any - point is reasonable.

I think many of the voters just don't understand how the pieces fit together for us yet. A number of the writers are not great basketball minds who struggle to cover their own team.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »
I think caring about how your team is perceived at this - or any - point is reasonable.

I think many of the voters just don't understand how the pieces fit together for us yet. A number of the writers are not great basketball minds who struggle to cover their own team.

Case in point supporting this notion, our former MU beat writer Michael Hunt. Hope he is having fun in South Carolina.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:36:38 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the 7th best ACC team is better than the 2nd best Big East team....but I do think they are better than the 3rd best Big East team, and may be better than the best P12 team. The rankings will be more balanced at the end of the season because conferences will beat up on each other, but I do think while the Big East and PAC 12 are down, the ACC and SEC are up.

The 7th best team in the ACC was 10-8 in league play last year (Buzz).  Worthy of an NCAA bid but not a Top 25 ranking.  Or is this case, Top 17. 

That's the problem with these polls...all the writers submit their biased ballots but when tallied, no one looks at average of all these hacks summed.  Thus, we have 7 out of the top 17 in the ACC which doesn't make any sense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »
How much effort do you think most of these writers are putting into pre-season polls?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »
Duzant Nads have a vote or iz dat just four the general election, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2018, 10:00:05 PM »
The 7th best team in the ACC was 10-8 in league play last year (Buzz).  Worthy of an NCAA bid but not a Top 25 ranking.  Or is this case, Top 17. 

That's the problem with these polls...all the writers submit their biased ballots but when tallied, no one looks at average of all these hacks summed.  Thus, we have 7 out of the top 17 in the ACC which doesn't make any sense.

That's kind of my point. Rankings during the regular season aren't actually about what team is the best, they're about what a team has done to earn the ranking. So even if say Clemson is a better team than a Marquette they will be ranked below them by the end of the season because they play in a tougher conference.

Preseason, no one has done anything to earn rankings, so writers are left to subjectively rank the teams. There's no need to balance the conferences. Personally, I do think 7 of the top 25 teams this season are from the ACC. I also think 7 of the top 25 teams are from the SEC, leaving only 11 spots for everyone else. By the end of the season, there won't be 14 ACC/SEC teams ranked because they will cannibalize each other, but that doesn't mean they aren't the best teams.

KenPom actually says that there are 8 ACC teams in the top 25 to go along with 1 Big East team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »
Case in point supporting this notion, our former MU beat writer Mike Hunt. Hope he is having fun in South Carolina.

Just for clarity, I'm pretty sure he went by Michael Hunt.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »
Just for clarity, I'm pretty sure he went by Michael Hunt.
Noted and Changed.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
Ugh... go away for a day, and already people are starting in on this #27 garbage.

Marquette IS NOT ranked #27.  Please stop trying to rank teams from the RV category because not only does it make us seem desperate, but it shows a clear lack of understanding for mathematical concepts.

Again, the example here that regardless of who they put as their top 25, if all 65 voters unanimously agree that Marquette is the #26 team, how many votes would MU receive in this poll?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
Duzant Nads have a vote or iz dat just four the general election, hey?

Eye gunna bee rightin in ewe, oompa loompa.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
Ugh... go away for a day, and already people are starting in on this #27 garbage.
Marquette IS NOT ranked #27.  Please stop trying to rank teams from the RV category because not only does it make us seem desperate, but it shows a clear lack of understanding for mathematical concepts.
Again, the example here that regardless of who they put as their top 25, if all 65 voters unanimously agree that Marquette is the #26 team, how many votes would MU receive in this poll?
Ummm, while I could agree with the logic and view that MU is not ranked (it is the Top 25, so there is no 27th). I believe the polls work as a weighted average in all sports. So while we can all agree that the 25th ranked team is Top 25, many posters may not have them in their top 25 and a few voters could sway the poll by voting them significantly higher than 25. The overall point is that the system used to establish the Top 25 would be the same to claim MU 27th (even if this was a Top 26 and every voter put MU at 26th, there is no guaranty they would be 26th). No gap in logic that I can see but one could make the argument the poll system is flawed.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
Anyone know when USA Today Coaches poll comes out?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
That's kind of my point. Rankings during the regular season aren't actually about what team is the best, they're about what a team has done to earn the ranking. So even if say Clemson is a better team than a Marquette they will be ranked below them by the end of the season because they play in a tougher conference.

Preseason, no one has done anything to earn rankings, so writers are left to subjectively rank the teams. There's no need to balance the conferences. Personally, I do think 7 of the top 25 teams this season are from the ACC. I also think 7 of the top 25 teams are from the SEC, leaving only 11 spots for everyone else. By the end of the season, there won't be 14 ACC/SEC teams ranked because they will cannibalize each other, but that doesn't mean they aren't the best teams.

KenPom actually says that there are 8 ACC teams in the top 25 to go along with 1 Big East team.

Not a big fan of Pomeroy's methodological changes this year...

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2018, 05:38:00 AM »
Not a big fan of Pomeroy's methodological changes this year...

Interesting, what were those changes?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »
Interesting, what were those changes?

Kinda geeky.  But moving away from Oliver a bit --from a multiplicative method to an additive.  Additive is easier to explain but I think a less accurate predictor.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
Kinda geeky.  But moving away from Oliver a bit --from a multiplicative method to an additive.  Additive is easier to explain but I think a less accurate predictor.
You lost me at geeky.