[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jeff Goodman Pre Season Top 25: Marquette #21  (Read 11502 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Jeff Goodman Pre Season Top 25: Marquette #21
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
F Joey Hauser (6-9, No. 46, RS Fr., missed most of last season due to ankle surgery)

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:42:30 PM »
Only 2 from the Big East in the top 25? Can Loyola catch fire again?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
Wow, Harry averaged 2.8ppg last?  That's a lot more than what I would have though.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »
Only 2 from the Big East in the top 25? Can Loyola catch fire again?

Loyola has the strength to win the MVC I'd say but I highly doubt they'll be knocking on the doors of another Final Four
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 01:08:15 PM »
Wow, Harry averaged 2.8ppg last?  That's a lot more than what I would have though.

That's a little over a field goal per game. Not much of an impact.

Harry performed well in a few areas last season: defensive rebounding (20.6 DR% per KenPom, 1st on the team), offensive rebounding (9.5 OR%, 1st), two-point field goals (56.8 2PT%, 3rd) and assists (13.5% ARate, 4th).

Unfortunately, he struggled mightily elsewhere. Harry finished last on the team in three-point shooting (21.1%), eFG% (48.2%) and FTRate (8.9%). Turnovers were also 3rd worst on the team (22.4% TO Rate). Those turnovers, combined with poor outside shooting and a low free throw rate, led to a less-than-impressive 99.7 ORtg (2nd worst on the team).

Apart from defensive rebounding, Harry didn't show much if any improvement in other areas compared to his freshman season at SMU. Marquette fans definitely expected more.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
Loyola has the strength to win the MVC I'd say but I highly doubt they'll be knocking on the doors of another Final Four

In my opinion they're a slight favorite to win that mediocre conference over Illinois St. They'd likely finish somewhere between 6th & 8th in this year's down Big East. Top 25 is a joke. They went from the most underrated team to the most overrated team.

Same with Michigan, 19 is way too high, I think they'll be a fringe tournament team. NIT 2 seed would be my guess if I had to bet right now.

West Virginia I don't get at all. Sure Huggy has a track record but Carter was a huge loss.

I wouldn't have Washington top 25 but I guess I could see it. Would probably swap them with UCLA.

Purdue, Creighton, Louisville, Minnesota, Xavier, Cincinnati, and Davidson should not be in the other top 25.

LSU, Clemson, NC St. Texas, and Iowa are all too low.

St. John's should be in the other 25, along with Miami, Montana, Western Kentucky, Penn St., Vandy, Ohio St., and Northeastern.

Otherwise it's a good list, +/- 3-5 of where I'd have everyone else

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 01:34:34 PM »
In my opinion they're a slight favorite to win that mediocre conference over Illinois St. They'd likely finish somewhere between 6th & 8th in this year's down Big East. Top 25 is a joke. They went from the most underrated team to the most overrated team.

Same with Michigan, 19 is way too high, I think they'll be a fringe tournament team. NIT 2 seed would be my guess if I had to bet right now.

West Virginia I don't get at all. Sure Huggy has a track record but Carter was a huge loss.

I wouldn't have Washington top 25 but I guess I could see it. Would probably swap them with UCLA.

Purdue, Creighton, Louisville, Minnesota, Xavier, Cincinnati, and Davidson should not be in the other top 25.

St. John's should be in the other 25, along with Miami, Montana, Western Kentucky, Penn St., Vandy, Ohio St., and Northeastern.

Slightly off topic, but when is the ruling on Heron supposed to come in?  With him, StJ is definitely top 25.  Without, the snub makes more sense.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 02:38:14 PM »
Slightly off topic, but when is the ruling on Heron supposed to come in?  With him, StJ is definitely top 25.  Without, the snub makes more sense.

Agreed, top 25 with Heron, but even without (which I expect) I'd put them in the "other 25". Also very curious when the ruling should be announced.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
not bad. Shortcomings of list notwithstanding, potentially 4 nonconf games against this top 20.

imagine sweeping:
Kansas 2
Tennessee 9
Kansas State 12
Indiana 20

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 03:41:02 PM »
All in all seems a reasonable list.

All in all -- a couple slight factual errors aside -- the MU write-up is fine and placement at #21 seems about right.

All in all, no F%cky in the top 25 is right.

I couldn't help but notice the names Hagans, Herro and Grimes in reading about his top 2 teams, though!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
Not even a mention of Penn State.   I’m pretty sure they have their entire roster back.  Just shocked not even a mention. 

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »
Not even a mention of Penn State.   I’m pretty sure they have their entire roster back.  Just shocked not even a mention.

Tony Carr is gone - drafted by NO and playing in Italy this year.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »

As mentioned they lost Carr early

Also lost One of their other guards to graduation. Gardner I believe
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
Got it.  That makes sense. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 07:31:08 PM »
Also lost their sixth man to a conduct issue. Replace them with low ranked frosh.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »
Senior 7-foot stud in their Satchel, tho, @1na?  ;D
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 08:48:36 PM »
VPI at 13th. Let’s see if Buzz and Company can deliver for Goodman.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 08:26:31 AM »

I agree with you on Loyola though I think they are a pretty heavy favorite to win the MVC. Especially since Illinois St announced the indefinite suspension of Milik Yarbrough. He was arrested for a hit and run (victim survived with minor injuries) and just plead guilty over the summer to a lesser charge in a domestic violence incident. Not sure he will be back.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »
I agree with you on Loyola though I think they are a pretty heavy favorite to win the MVC. Especially since Illinois St announced the indefinite suspension of Milik Yarbrough. He was arrested for a hit and run (victim survived with minor injuries) and just plead guilty over the summer to a lesser charge in a domestic violence incident. Not sure he will be back.

Ha didn't know that, yeah I'd say they're heavier favorites now. But likely finishing 6-8th in the Big East still stands!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »

SIU is going to be pretty good in the upcoming years as well, not enough to challenge Loyola yet but I think they finish up near the top.

Recruited really well and got a lot of talent coming from the Chicago burbs.

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
VPI at 13th. Let’s see if Buzz and Company can deliver for Goodman.

Rumblings at VT are that this might be last year for Buzz.   He and AD not getting along ::)   Will they bomb out this year like he did at his last year at MU?   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »
Rumblings at VT are that this might be last year for Buzz.   He and AD not getting along ::)   Will they bomb out this year like he did at his last year at MU?

Any links to support these "rumblings"?

Not saying they aren't real. Just would like to see more on 'em.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »

Buzz's tie on too tight?
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 08:36:56 AM »
Any links to support these "rumblings"?

Not saying they aren't real. Just would like to see more on 'em.

It's Herman so you know it's credible
Maigh Eo for Sam