[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jeff Goodman Pre Season Top 25: Marquette #21  (Read 11501 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Jeff Goodman Pre Season Top 25: Marquette #21
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 09:04:04 AM »
Any links to support these "rumblings"?

Not saying they aren't real. Just would like to see more on 'em.

If this is indeed true, my guess is that he is trying to pull the power struggle stuff he tried at Marquette.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »
If this is indeed true, my guess is that he is trying to pull the power struggle stuff he tried at Marquette.

Sister Chick, I'm sure you're right. Somebody is messing with the Hillbilly's Happy.

The guy is an opportunist. I'm guessing he may be another Kevin O'Neill, bouncing around the NCAA until he wears out his welcome entirely.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
nm

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »
Any links to support these "rumblings"?

Not saying they aren't real. Just would like to see more on 'em.

VT fan forums. Texas A&M is the rumored destination as Kennedy has health problems. TAMU will have his hands full 😂

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
VT fan forums. Texas A&M is the rumored destination as Kennedy has health problems. TAMU will have his hands full 😂

TAMU will flush??
Goal is National Championship

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2018, 12:04:48 PM »
Isaac Chew is already on staff at TAMU.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
Isaac Chew is already on staff at TAMU.

And Jeff Reynolds just joined there as well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »

The guy is an opportunist. I'm guessing he may be another Kevin O'Neill, bouncing around the NCAA until he wears out his welcome entirely.

Buzz had 7 years at MU (6 as head coach) and is entering year 5 at VTech.

KO had 5 years at MU, 3 at Tennessee, 3 at Northwestern, 1 at Arizona and 4 at USC.

Buzz has also been much more successful.

Bad comparison and I'm willing to bet, wrong conclusion.

By the way, I think Buzz would be a good fit at A+M.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »
Loyola has the strength to win the MVC I'd say but I highly doubt they'll be knocking on the doors of another Final Four

Having the strength to win the MVC is like saying I have the strength to get out of bed in the morning. That conference is to basketball what dog food is to gourmet fine dining.

Sister Jean's intercessions not withstanding, Loyola's chances of making the Final Four again are about the same as the Chicago White Sox winning this year's World Series. Just not going to happen. I know Porter Moser is a good coach and all, but please, there's a lot more deserving teams for the Top 25 than Loyola. Kinda suggests that the author knows the Top 10 and not much else.

That said, I think we're probably better than 21, but there's no basis other than the feeling for our Warriors in my heart. If I were doing this and not a Scooper, 21 is probably where Marquette belongs, until we prove ourselves.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2018, 06:12:46 AM »
Having the strength to win the MVC is like saying I have the strength to get out of bed in the morning. That conference is to basketball what dog food is to gourmet fine dining.

Sister Jean's intercessions not withstanding, Loyola's chances of making the Final Four again are about the same as the Chicago White Sox winning this year's World Series. Just not going to happen. I know Porter Moser is a good coach and all, but please, there's a lot more deserving teams for the Top 25 than Loyola.

I'm sure that was the consensus on Butler after they lost to Duke in the Final & Gordon Hayward went to the NBA.

I expect Loyola to be ranked most of the year. Right now they have the name recognition, and thanks to no one scheduling them, they'll have a gaudy record again. Those alone won't earn them an at large, or even make them deserving of one, but they'll probably win 25+ and get more attention than your typical MVC team.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2018, 06:57:35 AM »

Sister Jean's intercessions not withstanding, Loyola's chances of making the Final Four again are about the same as the Chicago White Sox winning this year's World Series. Just not going to happen. I know Porter Moser is a good coach and all, but please, there's a lot more deserving teams for the Top 25 than Loyola. Kinda suggests that the author knows the Top 10 and not much else.

That said, I think we're probably better than 21, but there's no basis other than the feeling for our Warriors in my heart. If I were doing this and not a Scooper, 21 is probably where Marquette belongs, until we prove ourselves.

Come on man, it's a tougher league than that. N Iowa has shown some great upsets throughout the years, S Illinois has a surprisingly great BBall history. When Creighton and Wichita St were there they more than proved there's some talent there.

The MVC isn't like Belmont/Murray St running through the A Sun
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »
Come on man, it's a tougher league than that. N Iowa has shown some great upsets throughout the years, S Illinois has a surprisingly great BBall history. When Creighton and Wichita St were there they more than proved there's some talent there.

The MVC isn't like Belmont/Murray St running through the A Sun

But Creighton and Wichita are gone and SIU and UNI have fallen off.

The MVC isn’t all that good. Loyola will be but I doubt they’ll reach the same success this year.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2018, 09:06:09 AM »
But Creighton and Wichita are gone and SIU and UNI have fallen off.

The MVC isn’t all that good. Loyola will be but I doubt they’ll reach the same success this year.

SIU and Bradley should be pretty good this year. Obviously it isn't what it was when Creighton and Wichita were there, but still around a top-10 league. I'd put them in the 8-11 range (with the A-10, Mountain West, and West Coast) that can viably put multiple teams into the tournament.

Of course there's a steep dropoff from 7 to 8, but I think the drop from 11 to 12 is just as sharp. Basically, 1-7 should expect 3+ bids every year, 8-11 have a chance for 2 or even 3 bids in a great year, and 12+ are getting the autobid and nothing else.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2018, 11:23:14 AM »
Here's the illogic in what we are discussing:

1) We're rated 21.
2) We're a probable tournament team, ideally about 5 maybe a 6 seed.
3) We play in the Big East with the national champion as a twice-a-year adversary.
4) We are talked about as a possible #2 in our conference and, if the stars align right, a worthy competitor to Villanova.

Now:
5) They're rated 25.
6) SIU, SEMO, Northern Iowa, Illinois State and Indiana State, by anyone's admissions, are not Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, St. John's or Providence. In fact, no one else in their conference even makes honorable mention or others worth mentioning (sorry SIU fans, your team has really played poorly the past few years).
7) Yet, the rankings contend that Loyola, this year, will be in the same general quality as we are and would, were they in our conference, be one of the best teams in conference.

Maybe we'll get 'em in the first round and prove my point conclusively. I just don't see it. I don't think they're as good as the rodent, the F*ing Irish or Vanderbilt for that matter.

Sister Jean will be doing a lot of novenas for Loyola to stay in the Top 25.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »
The problem with these ratings are less about the Loyolas and more about the big school bias.  Six ACC schools including ND?  These schools play each other so losses pile up. Five SEC schools? Do the math.  The B1G is actually well-represented for once with four.  On the reverse, only two BE schools?

Will these teams make the Big Dance? Likely. All these in the Top 25? Not so. 

I think Loyola and Nevada earned their ratings. The BE has a lot of transfers and newcomers that make it hard to project. Take MU: I can see 1-5th place.

Conclusion:  These ratings are tried and true coach felatio by Goodie more than anything else. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:58:38 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »
Here's the illogic in what we are discussing:

1) We're rated 21.
2) We're a probable tournament team, ideally about 5 maybe a 6 seed.
3) We play in the Big East with the national champion as a twice-a-year adversary.
4) We are talked about as a possible #2 in our conference and, if the stars align right, a worthy competitor to Villanova.

Now:
5) They're rated 25.
6) SIU, SEMO, Northern Iowa, Illinois State and Indiana State, by anyone's admissions, are not Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, St. John's or Providence. In fact, no one else in their conference even makes honorable mention or others worth mentioning (sorry SIU fans, your team has really played poorly the past few years).
7) Yet, the rankings contend that Loyola, this year, will be in the same general quality as we are and would, were they in our conference, be one of the best teams in conference.

Maybe we'll get 'em in the first round and prove my point conclusively. I just don't see it. I don't think they're as good as the rodent, the F*ing Irish or Vanderbilt for that matter.

Sister Jean will be doing a lot of novenas for Loyola to stay in the Top 25.

You must see that this entire argument could be made against Gonzaga or Nevada... It's pretty weak logic to say "x team isn't in our league because of their conference" yeah it's often times true but I wonder how many teams said that about George Washington, Davidson, Butler, VCU, Loyola, and Gonzaga.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2018, 12:18:27 PM »
Loyola is bolstered by their F4 run, but they did also beat Florida on the road last year. They can only play who they can get on the schedule, and no one wants to play them. It's easy to say they won't be as good as us, but it will be hard to actually determine that because other than Nevada at home and Maryland in Baltimore, they really won't get much of a chance to prove how good they are.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
The problem with these ratings are less about the Loyolas and more about the big school bias.  Six ACC schools including ND?  These schools play each other so losses pile up. Five SEC schools? Do the math.  The B1G is actually well-represented for once with four.  On the reverse, only two BE schools?

Will these teams make the Big Dance? Likely. All these in the Top 25? Not so. 

I think Loyola and Nevada earned their ratings. The BE has a lot of transfers and newcomers that make it hard to project. Take MU: I can see 1-5th place.

Conclusion:  These ratings are tried and true coach felatio by Goodie more than anything else.

You are right that these teams from the same conference will beat up on each other and won't all end up in the top 25 at the end of the season. However, that doesn't mean that they aren't one of the top 25 teams in the nation. Personally, I have 7 SEC teams in the top 25 this year along with 7 from the ACC (Notre Dame isn't one of them, think that's some Goodman fellatio).

Loyola? I have them nowhere near the top 25, but they may finish there by the end of the season. If they don't finish the MVC conference season with 2 losses or less it will have been a disappointing year for the Ramblers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback