[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo is learning  (Read 23818 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Wojo is learning
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »
As is par for the course for you, you are completely wrong. 

One of the first recommendations for people suffering depressions, particularly if related to a specific event (like your Mother dying).  Is to change your environment.  To give yourself a fresh start.

Deonte was very clear in why he left. 

Regarding defense and play.  The knock against him by NBA scouts was that he was wildly inconsistent and lacked a professional approach.  That he only tried when he wanted to.  That leads to a flashy steal/block here and there, but a massive liability the majority of the time.  So NBA scouts disagree with you too.

Yep.

Deonte signed an NBA Contract and will be playing for the Oklahoma City Thunder this year.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
Whether Deonte left for personal reasons or playing time, Wojo lost a talented player with a lot of potential. But transfers happen within every program, for all kinds of reasons.

I might care about it today if losing our best players continued as a trend. I don't see that happening. More recent transfers -- such as Traci Carter, Sandy Cohen or Duane Wilson -- were a matter of better talent leading to better competition for playing time. The less talented players transferred, the more talented ones stayed.

So what's the point of fixating on Deonte's transfer? To "prove" that Wojo mishandled the situation? That he could have or should have done something different? Even if that were the case, so what? Losing talented players like Deonte hasn't been a persistent problem. This is a really old and tired argument, with little if any relevance.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
So what's the point of fixating on Deonte's transfer?

To prove himself "right" about something everyone on this board knows he has been wrong about for close to four years now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2018, 02:36:03 PM »
Deonte signed an NBA Contract and will be playing for the Oklahoma City Thunder this year.

Good!  I hope he succeeds because he seems like a real good dude.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »

That doesn't refute anything in the quoted post

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »
Did I somehow turn on an internet portal to travel back to 2013????
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »
To prove himself "right" about something everyone on this board knows he has been wrong about for close to four years now.

Sorry everybody.  I'm wrong.  Athletes at the high major, or even high school level love riding the bench behind inferior players, and make the choice to stay in such situations when there are many suitors elsewhere.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »
Sorry everybody.  I'm wrong.  Athletes at the high major, or even high school level love riding the bench behind inferior players, and make the choice to stay in such situations when there are many suitors elsewhere.

See TAMU’s post about who was riding the pine.

Old and tired. At least you finally got to the fact you are wrong.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:49 PM »

Bajillion and 1

For the bajillionth time.

Derrick Wilson was a PG. His time didn't impact Deonte's.

Sandy Cohen started over Deonte Burton exactly 3 times, the first three games of the season.

Sandy Cohen got more minutes in Deonte Burton in exactly two games, the first two games of the season.

In the two games where Sandy got more minutes, he shot 6/10 from the floor. Deonte was 3/9. Sandy averaged 8.5 points, 3 rebounds, 1.0 assists, .5 steals and 1.5 turnovers. Deonte averaged 6.0 points, 0.5 rebounds, 0.0 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.5 blocks, and 1.5 turnovers.

Also, in 1 of the 2 games where Sandy played more minutes, Deonte racked up 4 fouls in 12 minutes, forcing Wojo to pull him early in both halves.

The remaining 6 games, Deonte got more minutes than Sandy in every game. In fact, in 3 of them he got 15+ more minutes than Sandy.

Please stop with the Deonte transferred because Sandy started over him bullcrap. 1. It's not true. 2. You're calling Deonte a liar given that he's repeatedly given his reasons for transfer. 3. You're implying that Deonte is so mentally soft that he couldn't stand that a teammate got more minutes than him in two games where the teammate played better than he did....even when he got more minutes than that teammate in every other game in the season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2018, 08:30:29 PM »
You have no fckng idea what depression does. STFU
Ners, yes, STFU on this topic.  PM me if you want to know why.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2018, 11:34:07 PM »

Actually, Deonte signed a 2-way contract. That means he can spend a maximum of 45 days (not games, but calendar days) in the NBA while the rest of his time will be in the G-League. As an example, the Hornets' two 2-way players last year combined to play 48 total minutes.

Still, congrats to Deonte. He can make $200K+, he can get a taste of the big time, and he can learn without having to starve.

Plus, he can be confident that Ners will argue 10 years from now that Deonte should have be playing over Westbrook, Adams and George.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2018, 01:49:03 AM »

FIFY
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2018, 06:50:38 AM »
Actually, Deonte signed a 2-way contract. That means he can spend a maximum of 45 days (not games, but calendar days) in the NBA while the rest of his time will be in the G-League. As an example, the Hornets' two 2-way players last year combined to play 48 total minutes.

Still, congrats to Deonte. He can make $200K+, he can get a taste of the big time, and he can learn without having to starve.

Plus, he can be confident that Ners will argue 10 years from now that Deonte should have be playing over Westbrook, Adams and George.
So, he signed an NBA contract and will be playing with the OK City Thunder this year....
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

burger

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »
Burton was a 3/4 in college......

Burton has changed his body.....

He actually has to play a "small 2" to make the NBA.....

Not many play defense in the NBA.....

Burton is human highlight real.....

He has a better chance to get a 2nd contract in the NBA more than Henry......Truth......

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2018, 07:51:33 AM »

Absolutely not true.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2018, 09:18:19 AM »
With the Akanno signing, it is becoming clear the Wojo is learning from the fundamental weakness of last year's team.    I am not saying that there will never be another small guard at MU.    But Wojo is setting it up that there will never be two undersized guards on the floor at the same time trying to guard Big East power guards.     Coach is now clearly recruiting players with length.    I like this signing.    A smart kid with size and a lot of upside but not a ton of hype coming onto a team that does not need him to be an immediate contributor.     Wojo is learning.

Is Wojo learning or did Wojo already know what everyone who watches basketball already knows - you want the best talent and talent that is taller and more athletic tends to be better. 

I don't think Wojo set out to get two sub 6'0" guards, but he had the opportunity to get two great shooters and took the opportunity.  It wasn't like Wojo said geeze - there is this one guy who wants to come to MU and he is a great talent, athletic, great shooter, but he is 6'3" so I won't take him - I want the shorter guy.

So, I don't think it is learning as much as who wants to come and who is available. Bigger, faster, stronger, athletic, skilled... we all know that. But so does NC, Duke, Kentucky, etc, etc.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »
So, I don't think it is learning as much as who wants to come and who is available. Bigger, faster, stronger, athletic, skilled... we all know that. But so does NC, Duke, Kentucky, etc, etc.

I think the difference is that when he was at Duke, the most skilled players were targeted, and since they were mostly top 50 kids, they were automatically bigger, faster, and stronger. 

At MU, he started out going for either one or the other.  Wally was extremely athletic, but not a great bball player, Sandy was big (for a guard) but not super talented,  Matt is a big but not super talented (love the kid though), Rowsey was a great shooter, but not great athlete. 

Now he's finding the right balance.  Greg is a great athlete (that needs to put on some more weight) and a good bball player, same with Jamal, same (allegedly) with Brendan.  You still have to get those high impact players (Henry, Markus, Nico), but the balance on the role players is becoming better and more consistent, which suggests that he's learning. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:34:47 AM by Its DJOver »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:10 AM »
So, he signed an NBA contract and will be playing with the OK City Thunder this year....

Yes he did. I provided additional information because it is not the same kind of contract that the 15 OKC players who didn't have to sign 2-way contract got. Not sure why having additional information  would bother you or anybody else.

NBA coaches demand very good defense from their players.

Yes, a great offensive player can get away with playing mediocre (or worse) defense, but I don't think you're claiming that Burton is going to be the next Harden, James or Iverson, are you? And some very good offensive players also might be kept around despite being mediocre defenders.

If Deonte was either of those things, he wouldn't be on a 2-way contract that will limit him to 45 days in the NBA this season. He would have been one of the 450 players to receive full NBA contracts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
As is par for the course for you, you are completely wrong. 

One of the first recommendations for people suffering depressions, particularly if related to a specific event (like your Mother dying).  Is to change your environment.  To give yourself a fresh start.

Yes and no.  Not that black and white, but also depends on the makeup of the person.  Some fighting depresssion relocate for a fresh start and are so isolated with no support group it makes matters worse.  Others, the fresh start is just what the doctor ordered.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »
Bajillion and 1

Deonte played 11 minutes in his last game as a Warrior, against Wisconsin, in a game where we scored 38 points for the whole game. He played over 20 minutes in 1 game out of 9 that season.

You are who you guard, typically in basketball.  There were plenty of times we had 5 guys on the court, playing our zone, with Derrick Wilson at the bottom of our zone.  Carlino and/or Duane were more than capable initiating our offense.

Last I'll say on the topic, but people need to STFU with the notion that Wojo came into a bare cupboard (which is what once again ignited this topic.)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »
Last I'll say on the topic, but people need to STFU with the notion that Wojo came into a bare cupboard (which is what once again ignited this topic.)

Actually no.  I won't.  Because I grow weary of the narrative that you falsely expound. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »
Ners, yes, STFU on this topic.  PM me if you want to know why.
Sent him an apologetic PM.  And also sorry to you if I offended with my commentary/viewpoint on depression.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »
Last I'll say on the topic

I wish I could believe you.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
I wish I could believe you.

If someone has time on their hands they should go through and quote the million times Ners has said "last I'll say on the topic" regarding this
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2018, 04:16:55 PM »
Deonte played 11 minutes in his last game as a Warrior, against Wisconsin, in a game where we scored 38 points for the whole game. He played over 20 minutes in 1 game out of 9 that season.

If you want to say minutes were a factor that would be one thing. But the narrative that starting Sandy over Deonte was a contributing factor is incorrect.

He inherited a team that missed the NIT the season before, lost 5/6 of its top minute getters (the 1 being Derrick Wilson), and most of its incoming recruiting class.  That's pretty bare. There's a reason no one picked us anywhere close to the tournament. I think we were picked to finish 8th in the Big East by the coaches.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback