Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo is learning  (Read 23829 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Wojo is learning
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
Wojo essentially started with nothing.  As he has built pieces over these last few years he's been able to fine tune his recruiting targets.  He went from 'bodies' to 'talented bodies' to 'best fit talented bodies'.  I think he knew it all along but as others have said, respect the process.
https://www.nba.com/thunder/news/burton-180707
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 08:15:12 PM »
Old news and he made it very clear on SI interview he didn't leave MU because of playing time but because once his mother died he couldn't keep hos head on basketball while in MKE so he needed to leave MKE. Depression is a terrible disease
Goal is National Championship

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
Old news and he made it very clear on SI interview he didn't leave MU because of playing time but because once his mother died he couldn't keep hos head on basketball while in MKE so he needed to leave MKE. Depression is a terrible disease

While true, let's not ignore that being benched behind Sandy Cohen, AND seeing Derrick Wilson playing the bottom of the 1-3-1 zone, certainly didn't help Deonte's depression/sadness over losing his Mom.  16 minutes per game coming off an All Big East freshman year, regardless of the passing of his Mom, was inexcusable IMO.

The kid is hurting, AND you get mindf$cked in the above manner?  Nail in the coffin to definitely move on/transfer.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
Wojo has forgotten more than we know.  I know, I know, WE are not strong on humility.  We are MARQUETTE.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »
Wojo has forgotten more than we know.  I know, I know, WE are not strong on humility.  We are MARQUETTE.

Lord I hope not. If so, it has to be early-onset Alzheimer's.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
While true, let's not ignore that being benched behind Sandy Cohen, AND seeing Derrick Wilson playing the bottom of the 1-3-1 zone, certainly didn't help Deonte's depression/sadness over losing his Mom.  16 minutes per game coming off an All Big East freshman year, regardless of the passing of his Mom, was inexcusable IMO.

The kid is hurting, AND you get mindf$cked in the above manner?  Nail in the coffin to definitely move on/transfer.

Burton directly stated why he left. Here you are painting an entirely different picture to hate on Wojo.

So good.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »

Players leave.... For a variety of reasons..... And Burton's was among the best.

Nothing to see here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 03:37:22 PM »
Burton directly stated why he left. Here you are painting an entirely different picture to hate on Wojo.

So good.

And predictable.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
And predictable.
Rich in irony.

Any athlete with any degree of pride aint gonna be happy sitting behind a clearly inferior player. 

Anyone who would suggest that Burton should have gotten 16 minutes a game on that team, that year, is simply choosing to be an idiot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 04:31:16 PM »
Rich in irony.

Any athlete with any degree of pride aint gonna be happy sitting behind a clearly inferior player. 

Anyone who would suggest that Burton should have gotten 16 minutes a game on that team, that year, is simply choosing to be an idiot.

Just. F*cking. Drop. It.

Goes away only to come back pushing the same stuck button.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
Rich in irony.

You have no fckng idea what depression does. STFU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2018, 06:01:42 PM »

For the bajillionth time.

Derrick Wilson was a PG. His time didn't impact Deonte's.

Sandy Cohen started over Deonte Burton exactly 3 times, the first three games of the season.

Sandy Cohen got more minutes in Deonte Burton in exactly two games, the first two games of the season.

In the two games where Sandy got more minutes, he shot 6/10 from the floor. Deonte was 3/9. Sandy averaged 8.5 points, 3 rebounds, 1.0 assists, .5 steals and 1.5 turnovers. Deonte averaged 6.0 points, 0.5 rebounds, 0.0 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.5 blocks, and 1.5 turnovers.

Also, in 1 of the 2 games where Sandy played more minutes, Deonte racked up 4 fouls in 12 minutes, forcing Wojo to pull him early in both halves.

The remaining 6 games, Deonte got more minutes than Sandy in every game. In fact, in 3 of them he got 15+ more minutes than Sandy.

Please stop with the Deonte transferred because Sandy started over him bullcrap. 1. It's not true. 2. You're calling Deonte a liar given that he's repeatedly given his reasons for transfer. 3. You're implying that Deonte is so mentally soft that he couldn't stand that a teammate got more minutes than him in two games where the teammate played better than he did....even when he got more minutes than that teammate in every other game in the season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2018, 07:42:14 PM »
For the bajillionth time.

Derrick Wilson was a PG. His time didn't impact Deonte's.

Sandy Cohen started over Deonte Burton exactly 3 times, the first three games of the season.

Sandy Cohen got more minutes in Deonte Burton in exactly two games, the first two games of the season.

In the two games where Sandy got more minutes, he shot 6/10 from the floor. Deonte was 3/9. Sandy averaged 8.5 points, 3 rebounds, 1.0 assists, .5 steals and 1.5 turnovers. Deonte averaged 6.0 points, 0.5 rebounds, 0.0 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.5 blocks, and 1.5 turnovers.

Also, in 1 of the 2 games where Sandy played more minutes, Deonte racked up 4 fouls in 12 minutes, forcing Wojo to pull him early in both halves.

The remaining 6 games, Deonte got more minutes than Sandy in every game. In fact, in 3 of them he got 15+ more minutes than Sandy.

Please stop with the Deonte transferred because Sandy started over him bullcrap. 1. It's not true. 2. You're calling Deonte a liar given that he's repeatedly given his reasons for transfer. 3. You're implying that Deonte is so mentally soft that he couldn't stand that a teammate got more minutes than him in two games where the teammate played better than he did....even when he got more minutes than that teammate in every other game in the season.
Plus I'm sure he didn't read tjhe complete SI article where Burton said after his mother died he had no interest in playing basketball, but didn't tell anybody about it, and he had to get away from MKE to be able to focus.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 07:50:07 PM »
I dont know if deonte deserved more or less time on a bad team or for what reason he left, but i do know for the season plus that he was at MU he was very possibly the worst defensive player I ever saw at MU.  As bad as his defense was, his effort on that end was even worse. 

Turned out to be a fine player but to argue a young player with that defensive effort should have received more playing time indicates a severe lack of knowledge of what gets and then keeps young basketball players on the court.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
Turned out to be a fine player but to argue a young player with that defensive effort should have received more playing time indicates a severe lack of knowledge of what gets and then keeps young basketball players on the court.

I don't think you understand, sir. Ners could dunk in high school.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2018, 10:24:06 AM »
Plus I'm sure he didn't read tjhe complete SI article where Burton said after his mother died he had no interest in playing basketball, but didn't tell anybody about it, and he had to get away from MKE to be able to focus.

I read the article.  What does Deonte gain by bashing Wojo in any interview surrounding his transfer?  How many kids transfer out of a program and bad mouth the coach/program?

If you think depression is cured by relocation to Ames, Iowa, perhaps you should re-evaluate how much you think you know about depression.

Things are multi-factorial.  To dismiss the notion that Deonte having a much smaller role than he, or most any objective MU basketball fan would have thought going into that season didn't factor into decision to leave, is just ignorant.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 10:28:28 AM »
I read the article.  What does Deonte gain by bashing Wojo in any interview surrounding his transfer?  How many kids transfer out of a program and bad mouth the coach/program?

If you think depression is cured by relocation to Ames, Iowa, perhaps you should re-evaluate how much you think you know about depression.

Things are multi-factorial.  To dismiss the notion that Deonte having a much smaller role than he, or most any objective MU basketball fan would have thought going into that season didn't factor into decision to leave, is just ignorant.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »
I dont know if deonte deserved more or less time on a bad team or for what reason he left, but i do know for the season plus that he was at MU he was very possibly the worst defensive player I ever saw at MU.  As bad as his defense was, his effort on that end was even worse. 

While, no doubt Wojo saw it the same way as you.  Derrick Wilson is case in point to your theory.

Personally, I like to play guys who can actually play and make a meaningful difference in a game despite not being spastic.  Deonte's steal and block percentages were among the best in the conference as a freshman, and that trend continued in his time at Iowa State. 

Can't coach good instincts.  Effort without results is irrelevant.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »
While, no doubt Wojo saw it the same way as you.  Derrick Wilson is case in point to your theory.

Personally, I like to play guys who can actually play and make a meaningful difference in a game despite not being spastic.  Deonte's steal and block percentages were among the best in the conference as a freshman, and that trend continued in his time at Iowa State. 

Can't coach good instincts.  Effort without results is irrelevant.

Deonte was a bad defensive player.  Anyone who has an understanding for basketball can see it.  Steals and blocks are frosting.  A cake that's all frosting and no cake really isn't a cake at all. 

Give me a sound defensive player who understands how to play within a scheme any day.  That's why, regardless of the accolades, I would rather have a Dominic James type player than a Jerel McNeal type player on defense.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »

As is par for the course for you, you are completely wrong. 

One of the first recommendations for people suffering depressions, particularly if related to a specific event (like your Mother dying).  Is to change your environment.  To give yourself a fresh start.

Deonte was very clear in why he left. 

Regarding defense and play.  The knock against him by NBA scouts was that he was wildly inconsistent and lacked a professional approach.  That he only tried when he wanted to.  That leads to a flashy steal/block here and there, but a massive liability the majority of the time.  So NBA scouts disagree with you too.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
Oh good, Ners is back once again endlessly arguing the same topics from four seasons ago.  Joy.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »

One of the first recommendations for people suffering depressions, particularly if related to a specific event (like your Mother dying).  Is to change your environment.  To give yourself a fresh start.

Regarding defense and play.  The knock against him by NBA scouts was that he was wildly inconsistent and lacked a professional approach.  That he only tried when he wanted to.  That leads to a flashy steal/block here and there, but a massive liability the majority of the time.  So NBA scouts disagree with you too.

Yep.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2018, 12:54:51 PM »
Can we save this guy some time and ban him again now before he ruins the board for the second time?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »

Correct, exactly right about depression

feedback