[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo is learning  (Read 23816 times)

tower912

• All American
Wojo is learning
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
With the Akanno signing, it is becoming clear the Wojo is learning from the fundamental weakness of last year's team.    I am not saying that there will never be another small guard at MU.    But Wojo is setting it up that there will never be two undersized guards on the floor at the same time trying to guard Big East power guards.     Coach is now clearly recruiting players with length.    I like this signing.    A smart kid with size and a lot of upside but not a ton of hype coming onto a team that does not need him to be an immediate contributor.     Wojo is learning. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wojo is learning
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 07:54:11 AM »
With the Akanno signing, it is becoming clear the Wojo is learning from the fundamental weakness of last year's team.    I am not saying that there will never be another small guard at MU.    But Wojo is setting it up that there will never be two undersized guards on the floor at the same time trying to guard Big East power guards.     Coach is now clearly recruiting players with length.    I like this signing.    A smart kid with size and a lot of upside but not a ton of hype coming onto a team that does not need him to be an immediate contributor.     Wojo is learning. 

I think he learned awhile ago, and that's why last year's class included Greg and Jamal.  Last year he was willing to sacrifice defense for offense because the offense was just so good and because the freshmen were not ready to take on a larger role.  That will change this year and in the future.

So it looks as though he's not going "full switchable," but he is trending in that direction.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 08:11:43 AM »

I think he learned awhile ago, and that's why last year's class included Greg and Jamal.  Last year he was willing to sacrifice defense for offense because the offense was just so good and because the freshmen were not ready to take on a larger role.  That will change this year and in the future.

So it looks as though he's not going "full switchable," but he is trending in that direction.

If Akanno is a guy that can play man to man against a guy like Mannion he should have no trouble playing in the BE.  It will be nice to see a team where we have all the pieces.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »

He learned not to bring in two of the most prolific scorers in D1 basketball last year?? Please with the revisionist history.  Victim of circumstance with players leaving.  Not everything happens in a vacuum.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »
He learned not to bring in two of the most prolific scorers in D1 basketball last year?? Please with the revisionist history.  Victim of circumstance with players leaving.  Not everything happens in a vacuum.

If you don't notice a difference in the type of player Wojo has been recruiting over the past couple of years, I don't know what to say.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »

I don't think it was as much of a learning curve, more like the best recruits available to him as he strolled down the Shopping aisle.

I would think a guy with his experience with Duke and the USA teams would know the best requirements for those positions if they were available to him.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »
Full listing of Wojo recruits(italics)/transfers(bold):

2014-15
Cohen (was a Buzz recruit)
Carlino
W. Ellenson
(left team)
Levin (never played for MU)
*Did not include Luke, since he committed when Buzz was still HC

2015-16
H. Ellenson (left for NBA)
Cheatham (left team)
Heldt
Anim
Carter
(left team)
Rowsey

2016-17
Howard
S. Hauser
Bailey

Reinhardt

2017-18
Cain
John
Elliott
Eke

Morrow
Froling

2018-19
S. Hauser
Chartouney
McEwen

There is no doubt that there is a positive and strong trajectory in recruiting since his first year.  The past three classes have been very strong, IMO.  The 15-16 class came in with a ton of fanfare, but - for various reasons - the class never reached its potential.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:24:59 AM by GoldenWarrior11 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »

In 2017, we ran out lineups with two sub-six foot guards. Since then, in the 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, & 2021 recruiting classes, Wojo hasn't offered a single sub-six foot player according to 247.

He has offered 3 players at 6'0": Tyger Campbell, De'Vion Harmon, & Reece Beekman. The first three are or were borderline five-star players & Beekman is part of the Phenom University AAU superteam.

Wojo has offered 38 total guards according to 247 in that time (discounting Flory but adding Watts). I think it's pretty safe to say he learned from having two midgets on the floor together. If there's an undeniable talent, height along likely wouldn't prevent an offer, but I don't think we'll ever see a starting backcourt like Howard and Rowsey again under Wojo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 09:26:45 AM »

I seriously hope these arent the lessons Wojo is 'learning'.  If that is the case we should have moved on years ago.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
Let's not forget 6'3" Nick Noskowiak.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 09:34:50 AM »
Let's not forget 6'3" Nick Noskowiak.

Nick was actually a Buzz Williams commit

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
Nope.

Wojo signed him and released him. Sandy also reupped under Wojo after recommitting.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2014/11/12/Nick_Noskowiak_Signs_National_Letter_Of_Intent_With_MU.aspx

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »

Nope.

Wojo signed him and released him. Sandy also reupped under Wojo after recommitting.

Well he was a Buzz commit.  That is undoubtedly true.  He did recommit to Wojo.

I believe Nick never signed with Marquette though.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 10:18:20 AM »

I believe Nick never signed with Marquette though.

Wrong.  Read the release I attached.  Wojo signed him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
Wrong.  Read the release I attached.  Wojo signed him.

LOL.  Oops.  Thanks.

But he was originally a Buzz commit.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 10:36:31 AM »
I don't think it was as much of a learning curve, more like the best recruits available to him as he strolled down the Shopping aisle.

I would think a guy with his experience with Duke and the USA teams would know the best requirements for those positions if they were available to him.

No no no he just learned that last year silly!!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
Inthe last two years, cohen, carter and haanif left.  6’2,6’5, 6’5.  Much like buzz with the midgets it wasnt done by design or lack of a learning curve it was a victim of curcumstance.  2 years ago no way Wojo assumes he wont have carter, or hannif, even if he did it takes time to refill a program while guys can leave in an instant.
Wojo has been involved with ultra high level D1 basketball for 25 years .  He didnt just realize an underathletic undersized backcourt is detrimental to success. i feel dumber for having read it and then ingaging in an argument that he did.  So stupid.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:58:59 PM by rocky_warrior »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
Inthe last two years, cohen, carter and haanif left.  6’2,6’5, 6’5.  Much like buzz with the midgets it wasnt done by design or lack of a learning curve it was a victim of curcumstance.  2 years ago no way Wojo assumes he wont have carter, or hannif, even if he did it takes time to refill a program while guys can leave in an instant.
Wojo has been involved with ultra high level D1 basketball for 25 years .  He didnt just realize an underathletic undersized backcourt is detrimental to success.  To suggest otherwise is simply retarded and i feel dumber for having read it and then ingaging in an argument that he did.  So stupid.

Seriously dude, you need to stop with the slurs and derogatory comments.  I actually think you make a very good point about SC, TC, and HC, but there's no need for the nastiness.  Low class comment.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »
Wojo has been involved with ultra high level D1 basketball for 25 years .  He didnt just realize an underathletic undersized backcourt is detrimental to success.  To suggest otherwise is simply retarded and i feel dumber for having read it and then ingaging in an argument that he did.  So stupid.

Dude, that language is unacceptable.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
I agree that Wojo is showing that he gets height matters but I think the larger lesson that Wojo is demonstrating with Akanno is that he has confidence in his current roster and is looking to sustain/manage a roster as opposed rebuild.

Akanno is the type of kid that you bring in with the intent he is contributing in his junior/senior and isn't "needed" as a frosh to contribute.

The future is bright and #respecttheprocess
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
Man, this speaks volumes.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »
I agree that Wojo is showing that he gets height matters but I think the larger lesson that Wojo is demonstrating with Akanno is that he has confidence in his current roster and is looking to sustain/manage a roster as opposed rebuild.

Akanno is the type of kid that you bring in with the intent he is contributing in his junior/senior and isn't "needed" as a frosh to contribute.

The future is bright and #respecttheprocess

I agree and additionally think that while Dexter may not be atop the recruiting rankings he may be a player before junior or senior year skill, strength, and talent wise.  However with any developed program it may simply be that he is slotted behind older more mature, and therefore better players for two years.  Agree with all of that.  However, the premise of this thread is simply wrong and bad, hopefully posters are learning on the job too

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »
Wojo essentially started with nothing.  As he has built pieces over these last few years he's been able to fine tune his recruiting targets.  He went from 'bodies' to 'talented bodies' to 'best fit talented bodies'.  I think he knew it all along but as others have said, respect the process.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
all part of the PowerPoint plan

feedback