collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another mass shooting  (Read 13072 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Another mass shooting
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
This time at a Madden video game tournament in Jacksonville.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-madden-shooting/index.html

Time for action? Or just more thoughts and prayers?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Another mass shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
This time at a Madden video game tournament in Jacksonville.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-madden-shooting/index.html

Time for action? Or just more thoughts and prayers?

Not the time to talk about it.

Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.

But we need to build that wall immediately.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 07:53:17 PM »
God bless the victims and their families.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 08:02:35 PM »
There is literally no amount of carnage, frequency of events, or category of victim that will convince 35% of the US to take action as long as the person committing the atrocity is predominantly a white male.  3 incidents in a row from people of color and there will be action against people of color - not against fire arms, mental health, etc.  Until then all you will get is deflection and whataboutism

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
I understand our current gun law situation makes it infinitely more approachable for unstable people to take the lives of others, but any gun law changes that don’t come with additional solutions to address the mental state of these individuals are a fools errand.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 08:22:24 PM »
I forgot who said it but I liked it. Essentially:

“Increase gun control and send thoughts and prayers to the gun crowd.”

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »
I understand our current gun law situation makes it infinitely more approachable for unstable people to take the lives of others, but any gun law changes that don’t come with additional solutions to address the mental state of these individuals are a fools errand.
Absolutely correct - affordable and accessible mental health care needs to be available for everyone.  The last 10+ years has shown that the road to that solution is going to be pretty tough to pave yet there has been significant improvements (and retractions) accomplished through great effort.

Let's put the same amount of effort and change attempts into gun control.  the two efforts can be done independently as there is no reason they need to be tied together.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 08:44:24 PM »
Absolutely correct - affordable and accessible mental health care needs to be available for everyone.  The last 10+ years has shown that the road to that solution is going to be pretty tough to pave yet there has been significant improvements (and retractions) accomplished through great effort.

Let's put the same amount of effort and change attempts into gun control.  the two efforts can be done independently as there is no reason they need to be tied together.

Exactly.  Yes, mental health needs to be addressed...but the key word that is missed in that statement is also.

Of course there will always be violence in the world.  And of course there will always be murder and if guns aren't available people will find other means to murder.  But that doesn't mean that because you can't prevent all murders that you just shrug your shoulders and say, "Well, might as well protect yourself!"

I'll take my chances that a guy wielding a knife or swinging a golf club around isn't going to be able to enter a crowd of people and murder 50+ of them before someone can react.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 09:26:03 PM »

Good post.

Unfortunately, lack of access to quality mental health/healthcare is also a big barrier right now. I'm not sure that changes either in the current climate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 09:38:21 PM »
Need to deport all white males, as we are most likely to commit these mass shootings.

Oh well, it's been a good run for us.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 11:05:37 PM »
We have had ONE arrest here after 75 shot a few weeks ago. ONE. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-unsolved-shootings-20180820-story.html

ONE
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 12:07:06 AM »
We have had ONE arrest here after 75 shot a few weeks ago. ONE. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-unsolved-shootings-20180820-story.html

ONE

And there is the classic red herring.  Perfection

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 12:53:48 AM »
Need to deport all white males, as we are most likely to commit these mass shootings.

Oh well, it's been a good run for us.

Lol, classic.

I will say that the blind spots in our society are getting worse, and that's one of them.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 07:24:47 AM »

My frustration is we have way more people shot in a given weekend then any of these random events like yesterday. Both are tragic, both show deep societal problems.  I cannot think of a time ever where the murderer wasn’t caught or killed in these mass shootings.

However, because people won’t cooperate with the police in our city we have almost nothing to show for it other than death, injuries and funerals.  The police are frustrated as are the citizens, but too many will not act.  The police are begging people to step up because they know as we all do the identities are known, but the refusal continues.

"Somebody knows who did it," the mayor said after at least 66 people were shot since Friday. "These individuals out here in the street need to stop pulling the trigger … where is the accountability for them?"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:43:17 AM by WarriorDad »
— Plato

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »
Yup, just like using the girl killed in Iowa, Chicos desperately tries for the re-direct.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 07:58:40 AM »
Yup, just like using the girl killed in Iowa, Chicos desperately tries for the re-direct.

WarriorDad has a Cubs logo in his avatar and says he's from Chicago, so he can't possibly be Chico's.

I wonder if WarriorDad ever ponders why people on Chicago's West and South sides are reluctant to cooperate with police. Could it be  well-earned mistrust, created my decades of police misconduct, torture, indifference and incompetence, along with a proven inability to protect witnesses from reprisals?
Also, kudos for the classic victim blaming.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:25 AM »
Back to topic. Nothing will change for the foreseeable future. I imagine this generation of gun nuts will have to die out before we see things change for the better.

And, is anyone surprised that these shootings seem to consistently happen in Florida? Nightmare state.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »
Everything is going to become unimaginably worse, and never get better again.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
Everything is going to become unimaginably worse, and never get better again.

Tangentially related..I read the book Factfulness By Hans Rosling over vacation.  Highly recommend.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »
My frustration is we have way more people shot in a given weekend then any of these random events like yesterday. Both are tragic, both show deep societal problems.  I cannot think of a time ever where the murderer wasn’t caught or killed in these mass shootings.

However, because people won’t cooperate with the police in our city we have almost nothing to show for it other than death, injuries and funerals.  The police are frustrated as are the citizens, but too many will not act.  The police are begging people to step up because they know as we all do the identities are known, but the refusal continues.

"Somebody knows who did it," the mayor said after at least 66 people were shot since Friday. "These individuals out here in the street need to stop pulling the trigger … where is the accountability for them?"

The President of the United States has firmly, publicly, and consistently stated that cooperating with law enforcement "ought to be illegal" so I can't blame American citizens for taking the advice of their President.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
The President of the United States has firmly, publicly, and consistently stated that cooperating with law enforcement "ought to be illegal" so I can't blame American citizens for taking the advice of their President.

Well played.

Gotta run now and prepared to be deported with the rest of us white males. It's a shame that we've got to go, but it's time to turn this country over to lawful citizens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »

The escalation of shootings started long before the current adminstrstion, the lack of cooperation has also been lacking for years.  Leave the national politics out of it.  This is more a local issue here, Baltimore and a few other cities than most.  Other cities are managing much better than we are, some of them larger than here.

I feel for the local police and investigators.  Their hands are tied if citizens will not do the right thing. Emanuel is right, people know who are doing these shootings.
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »
I feel for the local police and investigators.  Their hands are tied if citizens will not do the right thing. Emanuel is right, people know who are doing these shootings.

And you are continuing to ignore why they don't cooperate.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
Chicos be Chicosing.

As for the shooting yesterday: interesting that it's already turning into old news. Says something about how numbed everyone is to people who open fire on public places.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »

Sympathy for the police and investigators.
Disdain for the people they can't protect.