[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pennsylvania Grand Jury report on abuse  (Read 23552 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Pennsylvania Grand Jury report on abuse
« Reply #150 on: September 01, 2018, 07:31:41 AM »
Fact.  Before my 11 year old was baptized, and after nearly 15 years of marriage, the then new pastor of our parish was going to refuse to baptize him because my wife and I had not gotten married in a Catholic Church. Talk about silly.  I had an enjoyable 20 minutes insulting everything about that and trying to get him to answer whether my then 12 year old daughter's baptism was legitimate.   Ultimately, I jumped through the hoop.  But letting my post childbirth bride know that according to the church I could walk away clean was probably not wise.

But it probably seemed pretty funny at the time. :-[

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #151 on: September 01, 2018, 08:10:37 AM »
Fact.  Before my 11 year old was baptized, and after nearly 15 years of marriage, the then new pastor of our parish was going to refuse to baptize him because my wife and I had not gotten married in a Catholic Church. Talk about silly.  I had an enjoyable 20 minutes insulting everything about that and trying to get him to answer whether my then 12 year old daughter's baptism was legitimate.   Ultimately, I jumped through the hoop. But letting my post childbirth bride know that according to the church I could walk away clean was probably not wise.
Are you saying the Catholic church doesn't recognize vows taken outside the church as valid marriages?  I thought/assumed they just didn't recognize them as checking off the 'marriage as a sacrament' box, but they were still valid marriages. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2018, 09:21:02 AM »
No problem.  And I am glad it was helpful.  I think a lot of the misunderstandings are because things are worded very particularly and that causes confusion.

To address the bolded, it is also my understanding that the Catholic Church recognizes all Christian Baptisms as validly Sacramental.

Except the Mormons. 

Are you saying the Catholic church doesn't recognize vows taken outside the church as valid marriages?  I thought/assumed they just didn't recognize them as checking off the 'marriage as a sacrament' box, but they were still valid marriages. 

You assumption is correct.  If you’ve been married by another denominational church previously, but want to remarry in the Catholic Church, you still need to get the previous marriage annulled or whatever the denomination’s equivalent of annulment is. So it’s recognized.

However, if you were married by a justice of the peace, you are considered unmarried by Catholic doctrine and may be married or remarried in the church at your heart’s content.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2018, 09:38:38 AM »

You assumption is correct.  If you’ve been married by another denominational church previously, but want to remarry in the Catholic Church, you still need to get the previous marriage annulled or whatever the denomination’s equivalent of annulment is. So it’s recognized.

However, if you were married by a justice of the peace, you are considered unmarried by Catholic doctrine and may be married or remarried in the church at your heart’s content.
Thank you, i didn't know that.  I was baffled that it took my father-in-law so long to warm up to our wedding ceremony.  I just assumed that it was then that he realized I was atheist, it was probably that plus his view that we were not having a "real" wedding (especially since a friend performed the ceremony and not even a JP). 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #154 on: September 01, 2018, 11:38:49 AM »

That should be a thread.  Stupid stuff we said to our spouses that was really funny in our heads but less so when our spouses heard it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
That should be a thread.  Stupid stuff we said to our spouses that was really funny in our heads but less so when our spouses heard it.

Yeah, it was funny when we said it and funny now. Right after we said those things?

Not so much.

Women just don’t have a sense of humor. If you don’t believe that, just say it to your wife. She’ll prove you right ?-(

tower912

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
Part of the wife handbook is the eye roll with the sideways glare of utter contempt.  I thank God every day that the pool of available middle aged men worth replacing me with is nearly nonexistent.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2018, 04:22:27 PM »
I thank God every day that the pool of available middle aged men worth replacing me with is nearly nonexistent.

Hahahahah!  Amen brother!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2018, 07:13:01 PM »
For someone who's "not judging it" this post contains an awful lot of judgement.

Where you stand depends on where you sit
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread, but we had a Marquette mention today:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-midwest-jesuits-abusers-list-released-20181207-story.html

No names given in the article (or details of any kind, really), but at some point after 1955, two Jesuits with credible accusations of abuse had been assigned to MU.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »
Here's the list referenced in the article.

http://jesuitscentralsouthern.org/Story?Feature=-List-of-Jesuits-with-Credible-Accusations-of-Sexual-Abuse-of-a-Minor&TN=PROJECT-20181130120107050811032329

The two Jesuits at Marquette were:

Burton J Fraser, born 1899, ordained 1935, estimated time frame of abuse 1950s, died in 1971 before being removed from ministry.

Francis Landwermeyer, born 1934, ordained 1966, estimated time frame of abuse 1960s/70s, removed from ministry in 2010, died in 2018.

I don't have data on when they were at Marquette. Anyone happen to know them?

There were also two at Marquette High.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »
Didn't know where else to put this...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vatican-no-3-cardinal-george-pell-on-trial-for-historical-child-sex-charges

The smoke just keeps billowing from an institution corrupt to its core.

feedback