'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Al's Run  (Read 3899 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Al's Run
« on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:39 PM »
My team has raised over $9,600 in the 5 years that we have been doing the run and walk.  I am very excited with anticipation of surpassing the $10,000 mark this year!

And for the first time, I am running instead of walking!  My last training run was 3.8 miles so I still have some work to do before running 5 miles for Al's Run.  But I'm on track to get there.

As always, I am participating in memory of my son, Peter.  He would have been 6 this year on September 10.  He lived his entire life - 18 days that changed the world - at the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.  Even though my wife and I miss him dearly ever day, we are grateful that Peter received the best medical care possible. Medical care that gave us 18 days together.

Those 18 days provide us with memories that last a lifetime.  And even though they were the most difficult 18 days of our life, we are so glad we had them.  We couldn't have made it through those tough times without the doctors, nurses, and staff at Children's.  Not only did Peter get the best medical care possible, but my wife and I got the best emotional support from everyone we encountered throughout Peter's care.

We treasure all of the keepsakes from Peter's life.  The plaster hand and foot molds his nurse helped us make.  The professional quality family pictures taken by the staff photographer.  All free of charge thanks the generosity of others, like the many who have donated to Al's Run.

I kindly ask you to take time to visit my Al's Run page and donate:

http://www.chwevents.org/goto/peterrocks2018

http://www.chwevents.org/goto/teampeterrocks

My wife and I have since been blessed with two more children, a boy and a girl.  They are wonderful children and we are blessed that they were born completely healthy.  As they get older, we look forward to telling them Peter's story and sharing Al's Run with them.  It is a family tradition that holds a great deal of meaning for us.

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: Al's Run
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »

Lazar's Headband, my story and experience can be described almost exactly the way you describe yours.  11 months ago today our son Henry was born and he was with us for the best/worst 8 days of our lives.  The staff at Children’s was absolutely amazing in their support, comfort, and guidance. 

To honor Henry, I always ask people to appreciate the good in the world and be grateful for what we DO have.  But sometimes we can also stop to reflect on what it would be like to need the services of Children’s, at least in a way that helps us understand how important supporting this great organization really is.  To anyone who stops to read your post, I hope they take a moment to do exactly that, reflect on how impactful this organization is, and possibly donate to your team.

Good luck in your fundraising.  My wife and I will be walking for the first time this year, maybe we’ll see you there.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »
I've donated to the scoop fundraising in the past, but maybe we can find a way as Scoop to channel our group funds to honor these 2 little guys.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:26:54 PM »
UWW2MU-

Thank you for sharing.  It sounds like Henry provides you the same perspective that Peter provides me; to be thankful for what I have.  In addition, whenever I face challenges in life, I remember all the challenges Peter faced and realize how minor mine are in comparison.

I ran 4 miles on Wednesday.  Due to the heat, I hit a wall at the 2 mile mark.  Peter helped me keep going.  He was so brave, all I could do was think about him and how my run was just a small challenge.  So I kept at it one step at a time until I hit that 4 mile mark.

I imagine Henry inspires you the same way.  I hope the walk provides your family a chance to remember Henry and all that he brought to you in his way too short life.  But if you think about him everyday and never lose the lessons he taught you, then his legacy will live on.

I'd be very grateful to meet you and your wife at the walk.  Message me if you want to meet.  Otherwise, I'll be the runner with the orange headband.  I'll be thinking both of Peter and Henry when I run.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
Done.

I'm so sorry to hear about your son, Lazar.  I was lucky, my daughter was born at 32 weeks and only spent 3 days in the St. Vincent NICU here in Indy (before it became the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital).  Like I said, we were lucky, it was apparent which children and parents had it tougher than us.  My heart broke for all the babies and families every day.  That was over 18 years ago, yesterday my daughter had her wisdom teeth pulled and she'll be off to college for her freshman year in 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:56:46 PM by lurch91 »

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »
SoCalEagle endorses this fundraiser. 

Very easy donation platform. 

Have fun at the run guys. 

Go Marquette!!!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »
Less than two weeks to go!  Wojo wanted me to share this special message:

"DONATE! DONATE! DONATE!!!"

I know that's just a fundraising platitude, but can we really expect any more from Wojo?  His fundraising huddles leave a lot to be desired.

My last training run was 4.8 miles.  Just a little bit more to go and I'll be ready to run 5 miles for Al's Run.  I will reach my running goal but I need your help to reach my fundraising goal.  Please donate at the link above in my original post.

Thank you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »
Peter would've been 6 today.  Just a few days until Al's Run and I still need about  $230 to make my goal.

Help me reach my goal and celebrate Peter's birthday by donating today.

Thank you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »
Last chance to donate for this year; race on Saturday.  I ran 5.2 miles on Tuesday for my last training run so I'm peeking right in time for the race.  It's been a very rewarding experience building up from my first training run in June of 3/4 mile. 

Training has given me a lot of time to reflect on Peter and all the other kids served by Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.  The doctors and nurses are all so wonderful and caring.  My wife and I will never forget them.

This year, my family collected $23.92 in Peter's Piggy Bank.  Saving and donating our spare change is one of my favorite traditions.  I like to think of it as Peter's birthday present since Al's Run is always so close to his birthday.

If you still wish to donate, here are the links to my team page and personal page:

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:46:39 PM »
Thanks to all the donors!  I raised a total of $688.69, which brings the 6 year total for my team to over $10,300!

I completed the race in 50:34.2, good for 54th out of 74 in my age group.  That time was in line with my training times so I'm satisfied with how the race went.

Training, raising money, and competing in Al's Run was a great experience.  Can't wait until next year.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 02:24:42 PM »
I'm flying out to run Al's Run one of these years.  If one of my kids ends up at MU then I'll certainly have an easier excuse to go.
I haven't run it since 1990.

feedback