[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf thread  (Read 34289 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Golf thread
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
My putter is the only decent club in my bag these days.  Been rolling an SC TeI3 Newport since I wanna say 1999?

Terillyum (sic)  Nice.

I have been using my SC Oilcan Catalina since 1998.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
Eye'm pretty fond of my putter too, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2018, 10:14:49 AM »
Eye'm pretty fond of my putter too, hey?

Dat makes won purson den, oona?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
My putter is the only decent club in my bag these days.  Been rolling an SC TeI3 Newport since I wanna say 1999? 

Scotty refinishing is a hobby I've taken up over the winters and I've been on the look for a Tel3 for this winter. Love the spots on the back, classic look.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »
Holly Sonders dropped from Fox golf broadcasts.   I may stop watching.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »
Speaking of bags, in the market for a new one, any suggestions? Half the time I carry, the other half is cart. I like a kick stand bag with cross shoulder straps
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
I like Sun Mountain.  The are the only ones that build a bag where the club heads sit on your left shoulder.  I play golf right-handed , but am left-handed in many other things and have developed an idiosyncrasy where that is the only way I carry clubs.   As a golfer who walks and carries, this is my only choice.

Sun Mountain makes a good bag.   For carrying, Ping Hoofer is probably the lightest.   I have never owned a cart bag, so I cannot comment.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »
I like Sun Mountain.  The are the only ones that build a bag where the club heads sit on your left shoulder.  I play golf right-handed , but am left-handed in many other things and have developed an idiosyncrasy where that is the only way I carry clubs.   As a golfer who walks and carries, this is my only choice.

Sun Mountain makes a good bag.   For carrying, Ping Hoofer is probably the lightest.   I have never owned a cart bag, so I cannot comment.

I have carried various Ping Hoofer bags for 15+ years.  Great quality and always seems to sit low, which is essential in windy conditions.  Sun Mountain is great as well.

As someone who hasn't bought a bag in awhile I was shocked to see what new bags are selling for these days.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
Keeping in line with the rest of golf equipment.  Club$, $hoe$.... oy.   Ball prices are manageable.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
Speaking of bags, in the market for a new one, any suggestions? Half the time I carry, the other half is cart. I like a kick stand bag with cross shoulder straps

Go with Sun Mountain. They are pricey, but the bags last. I've never had an issue with rips, zippers, etc. with a Sun Mountain bag. Can't say the same with others.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2018, 10:21:23 AM »
Ball prices are manageable.

Speaking of, I switched to the Snell MTB two years ago after many years of ProV, B330, etc.  Have never been happier with a ball's performance, price and durability.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
I am of the opinion that the high end golf balls are great as a gift but completely overrated when spending your own money.  E6s and Duos have produced a whole bunch of rounds in the 70s this year for me.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
Holly Sonders dropped from Fox golf broadcasts.   I may stop watching.
That's almost bad enough to give up the game.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »
Keep an eye on Rock Bottom Golf... they'll run solid deals on some nice bags.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
I am have been using Ping Hoofer bags since 1999. I just updated to a new one in 2016 because I wanted to change up the look but I love them.

As for the rest of the stuff:

Shoes: FootJoy FreeStyle. I have 2 pairs. Great shoes that fit jacked up wide feet.
Ball - I made the switch to Vice Pro+ 2 years ago from B330 and haven't missed a beat. For $25 a box and getting them red(ish) is great.
Clubs: Ping G35 4-SW, Cleveland RTG 60*
Driver: Callaway XR-16
FW (3-5): Callaway XR-16 (just a coincidence same as driver and was not the plan at all. I just hit them really solid.
Putter: Ping Sigma G - my putting has never been better.

Oakley Sliver Prizm Sunglasses - these have changed my game since I have gotten them. They make seeing everything on the course so much brighter. Really helps with greens.

Head Covers (Woods & Putter): Rose & Fire. Quality is awesome and so are the designs. https://www.roseandfire.com/

Player Towel: https://store.nolayingup.com/collections/towels/products/no-laying-up-repeat-logo-towels

But I like to throw handfuls...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
Driver:  rogue sub-zero
3 wood:  tour exotics EX 10 beta
3-4 hybrid :  tour exotics EX 10
5-gw:  Wilson C200
52-56 degree wedges:  Vokey SM6
Putter:  rotate 3 depending on which is behaving or misbehaving.
Wilson duo's, Bridgestone E6s

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
  anyone try the toulan putters? 

i just can't get myself to spend that kind of money on one club that is usually the first to go air born.  just kidding about the air born. but, i go to golf galaxy, hit a few, find one that feels good, go on ebay and buy one usually under $100,  that wasn't abused and put a super stroke 5.0 on it and hit it until i need something to blame again.   an odyssey versa #1 reverse oreo right now

save my money for the other clubs
don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2018, 05:42:31 AM »

i just can't get myself to spend that kind of money on one club that is usually the first to go air born.  just kidding about the air born. but, i go to golf galaxy, hit a few, find one that feels good, go on ebay and buy one usually under $100,  that wasn't abused and put a super stroke 5.0 on it and hit it until i need something to blame again.   an odyssey versa #1 reverse oreo right now

It's the most used club in the bag, I think you need to reserve your thinking.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »

Putting is about belief.    As well as speed and line.    If you believe the putter is the right one for you and that it gives you better feel, then it does.    If you believe your putter is possessed by demons, hates you, and is incapable of making that 3 ft down hill putt, then it is. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
Putting is about belief.    As well as speed and line.    If you believe the putter is the right one for you and that it gives you better feel, then it does.    If you believe your putter is possessed by demons, hates you, and is incapable of making that 3 ft down hill putt, then it is.

I know I know, drive for show putt for $$$. 

Yes, it’s about feel and balance and ya gotta like what your looking down at.   But over $3 bills, probably 4, or more, she better be good looking and call ya in the morning heyn’a?  I’m still talking about the golf club for those of you from rio linda😜
don't...don't don't don't don't

nyg

• All American
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »
Anyone going to pay to watch the Tiger/Phil match.  They are both miked up and the side bets are going to be crazy, 200K on the first hole alone.  Tempted but $20?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
Doesn't it seem like this is something that should have been done ten years ago???

tower912

• All American
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2018, 08:36:16 AM »
Doesn't it seem like this is something that should have been done ten years ago???
10 years ago, Tiger was recovering from a broken leg and was backing over a fire hydrant.    Maybe this would have delayed the exposure of his private life, but I don't know that he was recovered enough from his leg to compete.     

I am ambivalent.   If I don't have anything better to do, I may spend the money. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »
Well I didn't mean *exactly* ten years ago.  I just don't know if the "Tiger v. Phil" thing is really that much of a thing right now.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
I believe its still there, but not as much as like years ago. 

My son thinks they are going to do insane side bets each hole, like closet to pin, sandys, etc.  So, based on that I am in with the hype and probably going to watch it. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2018/11/21/why-watch-tiger-woods-phil-mickelson-match/2075199002/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:43:26 AM by nyg »

feedback